PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B Complex Causing Irritability

hlvd
31-08-19, 08:32
I suffer with anxiety and depression and started taking Vitamin B Complex several days ago as I’d read it helps relieve these symptoms.

I’ve tried it before and every time after a day or so it makes me extremely irritable and maybe a bit wired, so I stop taking it.

Does anyone know why this is causing the irritability and is there a version of B Complex I should be taking instead?

Thanks
H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DustingMyselfOff
31-08-19, 18:52
Me, too. I was trying to eat vegan for a while and they suggest you take vitamin B while doing that, but I found it always made me very anxious and antsy. My doctor declined that the vitamin B could be causing that, but I know that was the result and we know our bodies better than the doctors.
Sue

ankietyjoe
31-08-19, 19:57
Odd one for sure, but in a hyper aware state I guess it's possible to react to anything.

What I would say is that B-Vit complex supplements are notoriously crap and ineffective, often containing multiple bulking/caking agents. It's possible that's what's causing the issue.

In any case, I take my B vitamins via nutritional yeast, which is a far more natural and bioavailable food source, perhaps you could both take that?

Specifically I take the Engevita brand that's fortified with additional B12.

DustingMyselfOff
31-08-19, 20:21
You're so right, Joe.... when we are in a hyper-sensitized state and in constant anxiety, we can be sensitive to anything. Just six months ago I was 100% sure that I was extremely sensitive to any TINY change in my medications, sensitive to supplements, sensitive to barometric pressure, sensitive to humidity, sensitive to breathing! Now that I've been retired for almost 6 months, I am finding that I just don't notice things as much and am going to try again to start taking supplements. I bought some quality fish oil caplets a few months ago and I swear they made me anxious and hyper but it's time to try those again!
Sue

ankietyjoe
31-08-19, 22:46
Yes, it can be difficult to tell. A lot of it will be trial and error, but I find it's best to try and get what we need from high quality foods. When nutrients are isolated they're often stripped of the components that enzymes in our bodies can latch on to. Obviously I'm not medically trained, but if you delve deep enough there are plenty of scientific articles about this and you can educate yourself to a certain extent.

It doesn't take a genius to accept that high quality whole foods are probably the best solution.