PDA

View Full Version : Can AD poop out after only a few month?

lebonvin
01-09-19, 06:21
Hi Ive been on 150mg of venlafaxine for depression and anxiety. Did well for 3 months then crashed. I dont think this is normal. So raised to 225mg a month ago but no improvement.

Do I stay on it and pray or try something new? My doc is baffled

venusbluejeans
01-09-19, 12:20
It takes many months to completely settle on an AD ... and also again when you raise the dosage (but not quite as long) a month isn't a long time in the life taking (or increasing) an AD and in my experience you will suffer blips along the way

lebonvin
02-09-19, 02:51
Hello Venus

Thanks for your encouraging reply

lebonvin
08-09-19, 09:54
It seems the increase to 225mg had no effect so I dropped back down to 150mg, essentially to save money buying the stuff. The worst is over but still lack motivation to get out of bed and do anything meaningful. Used to spend all day playing online bridge and poker (not for real money) but lost interest in that too.

How do you know if an AD is really working, or whether the whole thing is just placebo effect?

panic_down_under
08-09-19, 11:57
It seems the increase to 225mg had no effect so I dropped back down to 150mg, The worst is over but still lack motivation to get out of bed and do anything meaningful.

Then one could argue it might have resolved the anxiety reasonably well, but maybe not the depression. Which isn't uncommon. SSRIs, and venlafaxine is only a SSRI, not a true SNRI, are generally more effective anxiety than depression meds.

BTW - a month at 225mg probably wasn't long enough to determine whether the higher dose would have worked. I'd have given it at least 8 weeks, maybe 12 depending on its affect.

How do you know if an AD is really working, or whether the whole thing is just placebo effect?

Initially, it is almost impossible to tell, but the placebo effect rarely lasts long, maybe a month, or two if you're lucky. Of course many psychologists claim ADs are all placebo, but many of them are also quietly urging their associations to fight for prescribing rights, so...