PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again - speech problem

Panic1971
22-09-07, 10:22
Sorry guys - but need some reassurance yet again.

I think I am going mad....and losing my mind.:weep:

Does anyone else have this or able to tell me what is wrong.

Sometimes when I say something in a conversation I pronounce the word incorrectly. I was just in the car with my daughter and we were talking about something and I said dink instead of drink. As soon as she pointed it out to me I could feel the panic rising in me. I am now getting myself into a right state about it. It has happened on numerous other occasions too.

Please can someone shed some light on this.

Sometimes I also struggle to find the right word that I want to say - its as if my memory is going.

Please help if you can

anxious
22-09-07, 10:30
Hi Ann

i do that all the time, i'm always getting laughed at. I put it down to being nervous, my age or just being plain daft:D I think when we have so much on our mind its a very easy thing to do, i forget words too.
Don't worry

love anx xx

Panic1971
22-09-07, 10:36
Are you sure???

I wasnt nervous or anything at the time - just having a conversation with my 6 year old.....

I am really stressing about it now though.

Thanks for your reply Anxious... I really appreciate it.:hugs:

belle
22-09-07, 11:40
Hi Ann...

I'm always doing this! People just see it as "Bluebell being Bluebell!"...

x

Lindalou64
22-09-07, 11:52
Hello Panic I Do This Quite Alot I Find It More So When Im Under Stress Or It Can Just Happen, I Have A Thing Where I Totally Forget What I Was Talking About Or Cant Find The Right Word I Go Blank But Its Cause My Mind Is Always Going And Going ....dont Worry About It................wish Ya The Best......linda Xx

Panic1971
22-09-07, 11:59
Thanks guys for the replies - it really does help.

Dont know what I would do without this site.

Once I get something into my head though - it just spirals out of control.
I get rid of one thing - and then something else comes into its place.

Been feeling really panicky since this speech episode though - was convinced that I am losing my mind

nomorepanic
22-09-07, 12:04
Yup I have done this too and I do it when I write as well.

I read back what I wrote and think "did I really mean that" cos I have used the completely wrong word in a sentence.

mirry
22-09-07, 13:06
me too , I am always doing it EVERYDAY :blush: .
Now we laugh at it , and also I was calling my daughter the other day by the dogs name :wacko: , the dog ran to me all excited and I wondered why my daughter was ignoring me.

*Broken_Mind*
23-09-07, 01:00
i do this ALL the time! I was starting to think i was actually going totally mad because im also incredbily forgetful now and my mind goes blank ALOT!

P.s. Ladies its not an age thing - im just 18 :D

KittyKate
23-09-07, 02:21
Hi there, I do this all the time!

Sometimes my speech sound slurred or something I dunno. I think it maybe nervouseness or god knows what lol x

thedood
24-09-07, 13:54
god...my mind works ahead of me while I'm speaking (or thinking of speaking) and I'm convincing myself my mind will go blank and I won't be able to concentrate on what I'm saying and there'll be nothing there! this is particularly bad in meetings at work. I've literally had a panic attack and run out of the room...shame.

I know I just sabotage myself with automatic thoughts but yes..its a pain and you feel like you're losing the plot. It can be so hard to concentrate and just focus undeterred on what I want to say. I used to be so articulate...

SammiB
24-09-07, 14:39
i do this all the time too and even when i try and repeat myself it comes out funny but it goes

don't worry hun xx

groovygranny
24-09-07, 15:48
Uuugh.....tell me about it!

I can yackity yak for England (as you all know :blush:) and I'm always 'tripping' over!

And I could boil an egg or cook a roast dinner sometimes with the time it takes for me to retrieve a word or phrase from my memory!!

So, please try not worry Ann - I reckon this happens to more people than would care to admit to it!

Hm, 6 yrs old - maybe you were just a bit tired at the time? Or thinking about something else as well? Honestly, I don't think there is any cause for concern.......

....I just put it down to my hormones :blush:!

big hugs for you

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

Howler
25-02-08, 13:50
Thank goodness; I thought I was the only one! Yes suffering from this too at the mo -missing syllables in my writing cos I'm jumping ahead of myself is happening a lot, and saying the wrong word without meaning to. Its damn disturbing so I sympathise.

Ed x

slmusto
26-02-08, 23:48
i think that i never make sense when i talk, i forever get my words jumbled up and they dont come out how i mean them to

Lexi
27-02-08, 00:37
dont worry :hugs: i do this all the time and its definetly not an age thing cos i am 22!! my mind goes blank with the most stupid simple things - sooo frustrating! also when i'm uncomfortable or just talking to a new person i jumble my sentances and sometimes say words which are half one word and half another, very irritating and i must sound like a right nana sometimes :blush: :lac:
love lex xxxx

kellie
27-02-08, 08:37
hiya hun. please dont worry. i do this 24/7 my kids think its as funny as hell but sometimes i feel daft when it happens and i stutter as well and i dont need to be anx or nervous. it aint age or anything nasty i bet nearly everyone does this. dont worry or focus on it just giggle when it happens. hope this has helped you. please feel free to pm if you wanna talk ok . take care .

kellie.

Paulos
01-03-08, 17:46
Panic that's exactly what I go through EVERYDAY, fearing I am losing my memory/brain power by not being able to explain things thoroughly and not being able to pronounce certain words or knowing their meaning.

belle
01-03-08, 18:49
This happens to me constantly. It scares me a bit. It also happens when i am typing. I am thinking one word and a type something completely different. Horrible.

Paulos
01-03-08, 19:12
Yeah and doesn't it like ... sometimes make you worry about your brain power/intelligence? Because I have it daily... makes me feel like a retard.