PDA

View Full Version : Need good thoughts for my boy, please

.Poppy.
12-09-19, 14:01
I discovered a lump on my dog's lip yesterday evening. It's pretty large and came out of nowhere really - I give him pills 2x per day (he has anxiety as well) and so feel like if it were there I would have noticed it sooner. I'm trying to tell myself it's just a cyst or maybe he bit his lip while chewing on his bone, but of course I Googled and oral cancer popped up. And the statement that because he is a black, male, Cocker Spaniel he's even more prone. :ohmy:

So, as I schedule a vet appointment and try to keep calm, good thoughts are appreciated!

BlueIris
12-09-19, 14:11
Sending all my good thoughts your way; hopefully if it's sprung up that quickly it's something relatively innocent.

pulisa
12-09-19, 20:36
Yes I would say the same but the vet will give an expert opinion of course.

I do hope you get reassuring news asap, Poppy. Always horrible when our pets have "issues".

WiredIncorrectly
12-09-19, 22:37
He's a wicked looking doggy! All the best. How do you know if a dog has anxiety btw?

MyNameIsTerry
13-09-19, 02:09
He's gorgeous!

Try not to get sucked into the Googling here because with pets it's often something simple like a cyst or basic infection from them chewing things and being in dirty environments with their mouths (I mean the ground, I'm not implying your place is dirty! :ohmy:).

It's best to see what the vet says and as above it's come up quickly which would suggest something like a cyst is more likely.

I hope he is ok. :hugs:

.Poppy.
13-09-19, 13:59
Thanks, all. His appointment is this afternoon. I'm hoping just a cyst, but everything seems to say to get mouth lumps checked out ASAP. So we will see.

He's a wicked looking doggy! All the best. How do you know if a dog has anxiety btw?

Well, with Chisum it's pretty obvious haha. In certain situations he just panics. He's also terrified of people, strange dogs, strange smells, and a whole host of other random things. The meds help; he's just (like your username!) wired funny.

MyNameIsTerry
13-09-19, 14:53
Does he struggle with the vets too? Many dogs seem to and cats seem to have a hereditary hatred of them. We've got a breed prone to eye problems in older age and now he does have lots of scar tissue in them we have to be vigilant. But it can just mean they get more benign or easily treatable conditions in those breed specific areas so it's best to try to stay open minded as it's more likely benign things happen than more serious things.

.Poppy.
13-09-19, 16:37
Oh yes, he's not a fan of the vet. I have an awesome vet though - my other dog and my cat both love her (they pass out lots of treats haha). Chisum's just scared, he'll hide under the chair and then he'll do the rest of the exam sitting in my lap. He's a brave little guy though.

.Poppy.
13-09-19, 23:09
Well, they don’t know what it is but think it’s either an infection or a tumor. They have to sedate him so they can aspirate it and see. So I have to wait until Tuesday when he goes back in.

It’s going to be a long weekend.

MyNameIsTerry
14-09-19, 01:48
With it coming up so quickly an infection seems the most likely. It's an area they can easily cut, get dirt into and see some swelling.

.Poppy.
16-09-19, 14:06
Thank you again, Terry. The waiting is hard, tomorrow morning cannot come soon enough. I hope they give me answers there. I'm hoping it is an infection or, if not, they can remove it easily?

I have to admit, I've been struggling with intrusive thoughts this past weekend regarding "what life would be like without Chisum." Due to his issues, he is not always the easiest to manage/care for and thinking those thoughts has me feeling the worst guilt. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. He's the only pet I've thought of as my "baby" and he truly is.

LouiseAndy
16-09-19, 22:23
My dog had a lump and they gave us the same maybe it's a infection maybe its cancer. Thankfully it was a infection. I'm thinking of you during this time x I know the waiting can be very hard. He's look like a lovely dog also!

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-19, 01:55
Poppy,

If you are having thoughts along the lines of "just think how life would be easier without..." remember everything we know about intrusive thoughts. They are the opposite of true beliefs and the subconscious can't marry them up with them hence it spits them out to the conscious which means it's just asking what to do with them.

Pull the rug from under them by reducing them in terms of reaction. With some of mine I would just consciously reply "it's just an item on a list". I saw it as a big whiteboard with someone brainstorming and in these exercises it's normal business process to write even the outliers, the nonsense, on the board. These quickly get ticked off leaving the things that you need to think about.

This was one way I found helped reduce the height of thoughts because that scary thought about harming a loved one, or thinking how life would be easier if x wasn't in your life, was now on a list with "why is that bin green", "do I need milk", "where does that go to", etc. Thoughts that we get all day long that we don't ask for but given little importance to.

Quinn1
17-09-19, 02:18
So sorry your beloved dog is ill, I had too take the day off work and take my dog into the vet,she has been constipated for a week and hasn’t been herself I have long haired Jack Russell named Star.

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-19, 02:42
So sorry your beloved dog is ill, I had too take the day off work and take my dog into the vet,she has been constipated for a week and hasn’t been herself I have long haired Jack Russell named Star.

Quinn,

I hope Sar is ok (lovely name). My grandad had a Jack Russell, they are feisty little dogs.

I understand how when they stop eating and pooing we worry because those are good signs in an animal even when they are ill, that they keep their routines. But keep open-minded because I remember when our dog was young he had the opposite problem of a night of being unable to stop pooing to the point there was a fair bit of blood mixed in and we had to go to an emergency vet. Some meds and he was fine and still is many years later.

So, some meds and Star may be back to normal soon :hugs:

Quinn1
17-09-19, 03:17
Thank You Terry.
Star has just had an Ultrasound it looks like she has swallowed a lot of stuffing from her toys,lol,the vet is now preparing an enema for her, I won’t be hanging around too watch.
If I had known it was just a lot of stuffing my daughter could have given her one of her suppositories and save on the cost of a Vet and a days pay.:D

pulisa
17-09-19, 08:54
Poor old Star......An expensive way to get a good clear out, I'm sure!! Best she has it done under vet supervision though.

Do hope you get some good news today, Poppy.

Quinn1
17-09-19, 10:25
It was an expensive clean out pulisa:D

Poppy I do hope Chisum is OK.

.Poppy.
17-09-19, 16:02
Thank you so much, all of you. You have made me feel so much better. Glad all of your pups are doing well too!

I dropped Chisum off this morning and they sedated him. Good news! The thing on his lip appears to be just an infection, so he's going to get some antibiotics and will be good to go.

They are currently X-Raying his front leg because he's had some pain there recently, but he also has a history of pain there on occasion. She said they want to make sure it's not arthritis, which is a good thing to check out since he's had problems in the past. So I'm waiting on the results of that, and to get the call that I can go pick him up.

BlueIris
17-09-19, 16:04
Oh, that's great, congratulations! Give Chisum a hug from everyone here?

.Poppy.
17-09-19, 19:59
X-Rays are clear! So $600 later and I have a healthy boy. I'll take it. :roflmao:

Blue Iris - will do. I was so very proud of him, they said he was an angel. He even went around and licked their hands after I arrived (he's not keen on strangers).

LouiseAndy
17-09-19, 20:57
That's such good news x!!

MyNameIsTerry
18-09-19, 01:49
Great news, Poppy! :yesyes::yahoo::woof

Another one in the eye for anxiety!

On the subject of his legs, my dog had a problem where he suddenly struggled to stand and walk. We took him to the vets and some anti inflammatories helped him out. Prior to this we saw it before and what helped was on cold nights keeping a blanket over the top of his bed to keep out the draft.

MyNameIsTerry
18-09-19, 01:51
Thank You Terry.
Star has just had an Ultrasound it looks like she has swallowed a lot of stuffing from her toys,lol,the vet is now preparing an enema for her, I won’t be hanging around too watch.
If I had known it was just a lot of stuffing my daughter could have given her one of her suppositories and save on the cost of a Vet and a days pay.:D

It's amazing how it's often such simple things...and how much it costs to check them out!

Poor old Star. Best put a toilet roll in the fridge for her :winks:

I'm glad it wasn't anything and she will be back to normal soon. Better get your mop & bucket out though :blush: