PDA

View Full Version : 3wks on Venlafaxine.....so tired!

kah
18-09-19, 19:52
Hi,
ive been on Venlafaxine for 3wks and so far it's been fine apart from feeling so tired. It seems to be getting worse the longer I'm on it, by mid afternoon I'm struggling and by 8/9pm I can barely keep my eyes open. Is this normal and does it get better? I realise it's early days so keeping fingers crossed it evens out.

Maca44
18-09-19, 19:55
Yes it gets better as time goes on.

chimpingtongb
18-09-19, 19:55
Hi,
ive been on Venlafaxine for 3wks and so far it's been fine apart from feeling so tired. It seems to be getting worse the longer I'm on it, by mid afternoon I'm struggling and by 8/9pm I can barely keep my eyes open. Is this normal and does it get better? I realise it's early days so keeping fingers crossed it evens out.What is your dose and when are you taking it?

kah
18-09-19, 20:20
37.5 twice a day

chimpingtongb
18-09-19, 20:22
37.5 twice a dayIt will get better. Once you're on a larger dose, the extended release really helped with the tiredness.

kah
18-09-19, 20:25
It will get better. Once you're on a larger dose, the extended release really helped with the tiredness.
I spoke to my GP today and she suggested upping the dosage but I was worried it would make the tiredness worse, should I have upped it do you think?

Maca44
19-09-19, 11:01
I found going from 75mgXL to 150XL reduced tiredness so goto bed at 10pm but do have disturbed sleep. I take my meds am and although sleep is broken im not tired the next day so must be getting deep sleep.

chimpingtongb
19-09-19, 17:45
I spoke to my GP today and she suggested upping the dosage but I was worried it would make the tiredness worse, should I have upped it do you think?I went with my doctor's direction when tapering off Mirtazapine and onto Venlafaxine. The tiredness went away when I reached my optimum dosage of 225mg

lebonvin
20-09-19, 08:08
The gig with venlafaxine is that at low doses it leaves a lot of serotonin in your body. Serotonin had a lot of functions and sleep is one of them. When you raise the dose the noradrenaline kicks in so you should feel less sleepy. That's how I understand it anyway.

chimpingtongb
20-09-19, 08:17
The gig with venlafaxine is that at low doses it leaves a lot of serotonin in your body. Serotonin had a lot of functions and sleep is one of them. When you raise the dose the noradrenaline kicks in so you should feel less sleepy. That's how I understand it anyway.Noradrenaline kicks in at higher doses.

You could ask for zopiclone whilst you're on the lower dose as this will help you sleep.

panic_down_under
20-09-19, 10:20
The gig with venlafaxine is that at low doses it leaves a lot of serotonin in your body.

Only during the first week or two. The brain and body respond to this by reducing serotonin synthesis and expression to below baseline in many areas of the brain associated with anxiety and depression. See my: Serotonin - The 'chemical imbalance' myth (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?193671-Serotonin-The-chemical-imbalance-myth&p=1637971#post1637971)