PDA

View Full Version : Purpura?

Drisque
18-09-19, 22:00
Hello, on Monday my wife noticed a weird rash on my back about the size of a baseball. It consists of probably 15 or 20 red blotches, each about the width of a pencil eraser. After stupidly googling it I have decided it’s Purpura... the spots are too big to be petechiae and they don’t blanch. The causes for this range from unknown to some pretty nasty C words. My question is is this dr. Visit worthy, or is it more of a wait a while and react if it doesn’t go away after a week or so, thing? I have yet to get myself to the point where this is consuming my life, but I feel the momentum shifting in that direction. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

venusbluejeans
18-09-19, 22:58
anything is worthy of a drs appt IF you are worried about it..... we can't advise on medical issues as majority if us are not medically trained so a drs appt i always better. Maybe you could have a word with them about your anxiety while you are there?

NancyW
18-09-19, 23:35
After stupidly googling...

Yep. 😖

Drisque
19-09-19, 11:25
Yeah I know lol. I routinely see a therapist whom helps me with cbt, but I can’t bring myself to try ssri’s... maybe it’s time :(

ankietyjoe
19-09-19, 11:45
Surely not googling any more is an easier path than SSRI's? Health anxiety is an issue of habitual thinking, you don't need antidepressants for that. Practice changing habits.

Drisque
19-09-19, 15:14
There is more than one vegetable in this stew, my friend. But, ultimately I agree. I’ve never been a fan of the idea of taking antidepressants.

NancyW
19-09-19, 18:08
Yeah I know lol.

It's really not a laughing matter, you've freaked yourself out by googling and your response is...

"Yeah I know lol" ???

Drisque
19-09-19, 21:48
That’s me trying to make light of a tough moment I’m trying to power through.

zigzig775
12-02-20, 02:22
Currently have something like that on my feet, have a doctors appointment this upcoming Monday aaaaand worrying myself literally sick surprising I know :)
How did it turn out for you? Much love

Brunamateus
12-02-20, 10:48
Hi, I used to have púrpura back when I was a child, usually the rashes would be way bigger than a baseball ball and I would have them in multiple places at the same time, I don't have it anymore, but I still get those spots when I bump my leg somewhere... If you are worried than no harm checking it out.

Cptdebbie
12-02-20, 17:52
For me, health anxiety is a little like evil voices whispering in my head. When I am in the midst of it, all I know is that I can’t trust my evaluation of the situation. I need to turn to others who will ground me and give me a reasonable point of view. So, Drisque, I totally get where you’re coming from.

I used to go to the doctor a lot, sometimes daily. I don’t want to start that again, so I often ask this forum whether I should go see a doctor sooner than later.

Could your spot just be a bruise? Sometimes I get a bruise and I have no idea where it came from.

If it were me, and my Health anxiety wasn’t ruling my thoughts, I’d probably wait at least a few days before going to the doctor. My first thought would be that it’s some sort of bruise or broken capillaries from a minor injury or pressure. If it doesn’t look any better in a week, I’d go see my doctor.

That’s what I would do. However, try to push away your health anxiety and find the part of you that is the real you. I think we often have an inner sense of what the right thing to do is. If you can find part of you and trust it, you’ll be better off.

I don’t know if this will help or not, but my 40-year-old son has had Purpura spots on his legs for several months now. At his wife’s insistence, He finally went to the doctor. The doctor did a bunch of blood tests and everything seems fine. His doctor Couldn’t provide a reason for the Purpura; however, my son has been under enormous stress lately. His newest daughter was born with multiple birth defects. She almost died. Sigh. It’s been rough.

Best wishes!

zigzig775
13-02-20, 01:30
That definitely helped me :) Debbie I understand about rough times, feel free to PM me or anything at all if you want to talk or just need a funny video link or something, you aren't alone. That goes for anyone else too :D:D

Cptdebbie
13-02-20, 02:25
Thank you so much Zig :hugs: