PDA

View Full Version : Strange clicking head help

Elliejane44
19-09-19, 18:15
Hi
Can anyone help about a week ago I was eating a cookie and got this cracking , clicking like rice crispies noise when I ate in my jaw etc . I had it before twice but it just went . Same this time it was gone the next day . However instead of that noise I get a clicking noise when I walk around top of ear on same side . Not in ear but sort of higher than jaw . It ok if I sit still and does it a bit when I move but most when I walk

I mentioned to my dentist and also had a doctor for other routine check and both thought tmj . It not coming from my jaw though and make no noise when I eat only when walking . But it is funny it started right after I had that noise in jaw

Driving me nuts and feeling bit anxious over it

I also had a large upper molar removed 5 weeks ago so dentist thinks it might be connected

Any one ? Or any advice how to get rid of that click click ever time I take a step !!

It similar to your knees or ankles clicking

Thanks in advance for taking time to read it reply

Ellie

bin tenn
19-09-19, 18:48
Bones cracking and making all sorts of noises is part of being human, particularly as we age. My bones make all sorts of pops and cracks and clicks - my jaw, back, neck, "head", knees, feet, hands, etc. And I'm only 32. 😂

Elliejane44
20-09-19, 16:44
Thanks for replying . I am ok with clicking everywhere else but this is in my head not jaw (or feels much higher than jaw)
I did not think we had much bones to make a click in head . It quite loud at times and really worst walking .
It is freaking me out that I can’t understand why it happening or what causing it or what to do to get it to go !

Ellie

DustingMyselfOff
20-09-19, 18:35
Can't offer any assistance with this because I'm going through something similar. My right ear has been crackling every time I swallow for 4 months now. I've tried a round of antibiotics, a round of steroids, and am now wearing a dental guard at night because the ENT I saw thinks it's related to TMJ. I don't agree with that... I still think it's an ear thing but he says my ears are clear. It is very annoying to not know what's causing it because I can't fix it without a cause. Good luck with your mysterious click!
Sue

LouiseAndy
20-09-19, 22:40
I'm not sure what this is- But I've had it on/off for years now!

bin tenn
21-09-19, 01:52
Can't offer any assistance with this because I'm going through something similar. My right ear has been crackling every time I swallow for 4 months now. I've tried a round of antibiotics, a round of steroids, and am now wearing a dental guard at night because the ENT I saw thinks it's related to TMJ. I don't agree with that... I still think it's an ear thing but he says my ears are clear. It is very annoying to not know what's causing it because I can't fix it without a cause. Good luck with your mysterious click!
Sue

TMJ disorder can absolutely cause what you're experiencing as well. I also get this, and I have for many years now.

DustingMyselfOff
21-09-19, 04:27
TMJ disorder can absolutely cause what you're experiencing as well. I also get this, and I have for many years now.

Really?!?!? What puzzles me about it is I hear it every time I swallow, which makes me think it's an ear / eustachian tube thing. Why would my jaw issue cause my eardrum to crackle when I swallow? I'm going to keep wearing the night guard and see if the problem disappears.... I guess that would be pretty affirming.
Sue

bin tenn
21-09-19, 05:31
Really?!?!? What puzzles me about it is I hear it every time I swallow, which makes me think it's an ear / eustachian tube thing. Why would my jaw issue cause my eardrum to crackle when I swallow? I'm going to keep wearing the night guard and see if the problem disappears.... I guess that would be pretty affirming.
Sue

Well, you may be correct, now that I've looked it up. Eustachian tube dysfunction apparently is a common cause of crackling in the ears. Heck, learn something new every day. 😂 Regardless, I've had this issue for years, and I have no idea if I have an ear related disorder. And at this point it seems pointless to pursue, as I don't have any other symptoms. 🤷*♂️

EDIT: But apparently TMJ disorder can lead to chronic ETD, so yes, TMJ disorder can still cause this crackling. 😂

DustingMyselfOff
21-09-19, 07:22
Well, you may be correct, now that I've looked it up. Eustachian tube dysfunction apparently is a common cause of crackling in the ears. Heck, learn something new every day.  Regardless, I've had this issue for years, and I have no idea if I have an ear related disorder. And at this point it seems pointless to pursue, as I don't have any other symptoms. 路*♂️

EDIT: But apparently TMJ disorder can lead to chronic ETD, so yes, TMJ disorder can still cause this crackling. 

LOL So either I have just TMJ, or just ETD, or maybe the TMJ caused the ETD and I have both. But as you said, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as it's not life-threatening and it's something we can live with. As long as we don't "panic" about it, we're doing good! :)
Sue

bin tenn
21-09-19, 15:40
LOL So either I have just TMJ, or just ETD, or maybe the TMJ caused the ETD and I have both. But as you said, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as it's not life-threatening and it's something we can live with. As long as we don't "panic" about it, we're doing good! :)
Sue

Exactly! 😁 See, we can still think like rational people. Haha.

Thelegend27
22-09-19, 08:04
This happens to me as well always has.

Elliejane44
22-09-19, 16:48
Hi everyone
Thanks for replying . I also get that click when swallowing in ears had that for ages and not bothered over that at all
What is worrying me is this terrible click I get when I walk . It feels above my left ear at back of skull I think . Do you think it could be tmj ? It started after I had clicking when eating (that stopped ) .It not in my ear and not in my jaw but above that . It’s ok if I don’t move . I worried something loose in my head or something else strange . I just want to understand what causing it and get it to stop .
Has anyone had the clicking (like 2 little metal balls clicking together or like you get with knee or ankle ) but not in ear but in head when moving .
I try to relieve my normal stress by doing lots of walking but thus clicking is making my normal walk .
I had have an upper molar out 5 weeks ago so all rational thought to me do point to jaw but it much further up .
Thanks for anyone who still listening !
It just appeared all of a sudden nearly 2 wks ago and never gone !!

Ellie

Elliejane44
04-11-19, 17:48
Clicking disappeared a few weeks ago .

Ellie