PDA

View Full Version : Asthma concerned

mirry
23-09-07, 17:20
Hi everyone , many years ago I used to suffer with asthma but it went away over the years. Just lately I feel breathless alot and put it down to anxiety, however now my chest doesnt feel right at all.
I wake up in the mornings with a irritable flemy feeling in my chest and throat and have to keep coughing or "aheming" to help clear it. its driving me absolutely mad :mad: . Today my husband took me out and whilst I was very anxious I felt REALLY BREATHLESS with the flem still in my throat.
Came home got on the treadmill and still feel terrible with it so I used my sons peak flow meter and I said I scored 330. What should I score for my age (39) and height 5ft 2" ???

Any ideas of why I feel like this much appreciated.

syl
23-09-07, 17:32
I dont know how they work the age out but i am 60 and suffer from asthma and copd and my peak flow is arounf 370 to 400
but i am 5ft 9ins tall so not sure how they work it out
when i was first told i had asthma i was told to keep a chart of peak flow morning and night for 7 days then tak eit to doctors
sorry not much help

neil1975
23-09-07, 21:36
Hi Mirry,

I have asthma too. I had it when I was a child and was discharged from the hospital when I was about 14 told that it had gone. I believe now though from reading articles and going to regular asthma clinics that it is not something you can totally cure but can manage.

Anxiety/tension will make the asthma symptoms worse because you tend to overbreathe.
Could this be why your chest feels tight, because you've been hyperventilating? That happens to me from time to time.

I generally acore between 500 and 550 L/min on my peak flow. I am a 31 year old male 5ft 10". The guidelines say it should be more around 600. I have friends who are similar build to myself who aren't asthmatic and score less than me.

Here is a chart, which is a guideline not set in stone for peak flow scores.

http://www.wellclosesquare.co.uk/pics/pef.htm

Hope you feel better,

Neil

bluebirds2005
24-09-07, 01:35
I also suffered with asthma as a child but grew out of it by 14 never had any more problems with it then last year wham it came back with avengance and i ended up being hospitalised however with the right treatment i am now fitter than ive ever been in my life and my asthma seems to be pretty well controlled with my pumps when i was in hospital my peak flow was around 200 now its nearer 750

mirry
24-09-07, 07:45
thanks neil, Just checked chart and it appears I am somewhat off what I should be :ohmy: . Infact I scored lower than a 70 year old.

Is it normal to get a sort of phlem when breathless ? It looks like normal spit yet is stringy and sits obstructing my airway. Last night I used a blue inhaler and felt much better after that :yesyes: .

Dying_Swan
24-09-07, 07:55
Hey Mirry.

I'm not too sure about this, but it does sound as though you ought to get it checked out, and keep the Ventolin on you just in case.

Have you had any colds or chest infections recently? If the mucus is clear, it doesn't sound like it's infected, but I guess it could have aggravated the Asthma.

Sorry I can't be of any help - I'm sure it will be fine, but probably best to see the GP at some point.

xxx :)

mirry
24-09-07, 09:15
Yes I may need to phone the Gp cos I dont feel too great lately.
thanks for you help :hugs: .