PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer fear for 18 year old son

BrokenGirl
26-09-19, 05:11
Hi, I just need someone to talk some sense into me cause I'm spiraling but deep down I'm hoping I'm being ridiculous.
Let me start off by saying that I'm fairly exhausted the past few weeks - I'm doing some awful hours at work, being awake for more than 24 hours at a time, then only getting 2 or 3 hours sleep. And I think my mental health is really suffering when I'm so tired and basically burned out!

My son, who's 18, has quite a large mole on the back of his shoulder. He's had it all his life. Yesterday evening I was sitting behind him in his room, we were looking at some stuff on his computer. He was wearing a t-shirt, which was a bit old so was a bit thread bare at this stage. Anyway, I could make out where the mole was through his t-shirt and whatever way I looked at it first, I thought it looked completely out of shape. It's usually roundish but I thought I saw a bit sticking out at the top right of it. I panicked (of course) but said nothing. A few minutes later he kind of leaned forward and so the t-shirt was pulled tightish against him. Then I thought it looked fairly round, didn't really look like there was a big bit growing out of the top of it.
But I can't stop thinking and worrying about it. This is where I'm hoping it's just exhaustion is skewing my thinking, which I'm sure is quite possible.
What I started thinking about was we went to Tenerife on a holiday about 3 months ago. There was even one day when we put on sun cream, went to a water park but the sun cream came off when we got into the water. We think it must have been gone off.
I remember looking at his mole one day there, as I was putting sun cream on his back, and at first I thought it looked a bit weird in the middle, reddish or something, but then I had a closer look and I'm fairly sure it looked ok then.

I know I'm jumping to the worst possible scenario straight away, it seems to be the way my thoughts are going lately, but I thought it takes skin cancer years to develop, so going on a sun holiday 3 months ago shouldn't make any difference. Am I right here?

Please someone tell me I'm not being logical here. But all I can think of is that skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in Ireland and I remember reading some time ago that it's effecting more and more 'younger' people nowadays. (Don't know how young that means)
It's not as if I can ask him to give me a look at it. He'll wonder what the hell is wrong with me. And I don't want him to know I'm worrying about it.

BlueIris
26-09-19, 06:37
You're really, really not being logical about this. I know it's tough, but wait it out and the fear will ease up in time.