PDA

View Full Version : Worst health anxiety sufferer is back, unexplained wheezing cough

dustybaer
30-09-19, 02:01
Hi folks, I'm back. Some of you may remember me. I have been diagnosed on the high end of the health anxiety scale. I know some of you lost patience with me previously. I am once again in a very bad place. Ignoring my actor clients once again.

I have had the flu and two colds this year (which in itself is causing me much worry due to how unusual that is). Most recent cold was three weeks ago. It seemed to get better. But over the last couple of days I have developed a bad cough. It is mainly triggered when I exhale deeply. When I do that I get an awful wheezing sound following by the cough. It just sounds awful. Only clear mucus comes up. I have never had a cough that sounds like that. It's like the wheezing sound a smoker gets even though I have never smoked a day in my life.

You guys know your stuff. Can you just give me a little perspective on this? Why would it start up after the cold went away? And why does it sound so awful? And, please be patient with this one, is there a more sinister cause I should be considering? Thank you all again.

BlueIris
30-09-19, 05:03
I highly doubt there's anything more sinister going on than your upper respiratory tract having taken a bit of a battering lately.

However, your doctor's definitely the one to check in with for something like this.

dustybaer
30-09-19, 05:42
Since the wheezing cough started I also noticed I am having gut issues out of nowhere. IBS type issues. Does this seem like any kind of red flag? The fact that 3 weeks after a cold, I am now dealing with this strange wheezing cough when I exhale and also stomach issues? I just feel myself going to that dark place again so any information you guys here can give me helps so much. I can't get into my doctor for a week.

ankietyjoe
30-09-19, 10:09
What you're saying is that a symptom of cold/flu is somehow NOT explained by cold/flu.

What you are doing is assuming that symptoms should follow the timeframe you believe they should happen in.

A couple of years ago I had a cough that lasted nearly 6 months after a bad chest infection.

Wheezing is caused by mucus, and you have a mucus producing cough.

I highly, highly recommend you take this self assessment/checking no further. If you don't want to go to that dark place again, stop checking and stop second guessing every single piece of advice you're being given.

Sparky16
01-10-19, 01:57
Sounds like the infamous post-viral cough. I had a cold a few weeks ago, and it took the cough a while to start clearing up. I did go into the doctor so they could listen to my lungs, but they said I was fine - it just takes a while to get over. I'd have somebody take a listen just in case you picked up bronchitis. Plus, they may give you something so you can feel better.

IBS is very stress related. So you get anxious about the cough, and the IBS starts acting up.

Cptdebbie
01-10-19, 14:13
A few of my friends have this same cold. It hangs on and produces a lingering cough. I agree with the others. You should get checked. All of my friends got secondary infections. We’re all in our late 50s though. You may be younger and perkier.

Coughing or even post nasal drip can upset my gi tract. I hate to get a bad cough because I end up throwing up half the time. That upsets the system in general and I get diarrhea too.

So, I think you’re okay. If you can’t see your regular doctor, do you have an instant care close? They are usually well qualified to listen to your chest.

Sending good vibes.