PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and AD

woofybaby
24-09-07, 07:17
Some advice/reassurance please... there is probably a thread on this already but I'm too daft to find it!

I'm on 20mg of citalopram and generally avoid alcohol (not a big fan of the feeling of being drunk) but at the weekend I managed to get persuaded into having a couple of beers (5 bottles of Bud - not a huge amount). Consequently spent all day yesterday feeling like s**t and then today I feel very panicky and obssesive thoughts are back (I'd just been beginning to control them). Is this a normal response?

Ruth x

Dying_Swan
24-09-07, 08:17
Hi Ruth.

Well, they recommend you don't drink on Citalopram. However, I've been on it (20mg) for 2 years and have packed away a lot of alcohol in that time! I've always been fine. I would be surprised if a couple of drinks would upset you, but I suppose it is possible. Different people respond differently to meds I guess.

That said, I usually feel quite low and anxious if I've been drunk the night before. If you've not been drinking for a while, it might just be that a couple of drinks have made you feel rough, and is not related to the Citalopram. Alcohol is a depressant, and if you're feeling bad anyway, is probably best avoided for the time being.

All the best :flowers: