PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Cholesterol Meds

THoltz
06-10-19, 23:15
Hello

so I am a 28 year old male. I like to drink alcohol once and awhile. I might make myself a bourbon on the rocks or a rum and coke every now and then. Today I had like three drinks so I feel buzzed but not drunk.
i might have 2-3 drinks a week if that.

I also take one 20mg atorvastatin every day for high cholesterol. I am concerned what potential effects this might have on my liver.

I have never been drunk before actually. I like to get a buzz and then I will quit.

I have a follow up appointment to check my liver levels at this end of this month to check my liver levels. I think I will get a good result but I will go dry until that time just to be sure.

I always worry about damaging my liver even though I never abuse alcohol.

Any insights?

nomorepanic
06-10-19, 23:20
If you don't abuse alcohol as you say and drink sensibly then there is no reason to worry about your liver.

Why is this worrying you?

THoltz
06-10-19, 23:30
Probably because I have had more than I usually do today. I had two rum and cokes and a bourbon and coke. I feel buzzed but not drunk. I probably won’t drink at all this week.

I just always worry about health issues like this and what if scenarios. I know cholesterol medicine can affect liver. That’s why I was worried

nomorepanic
06-10-19, 23:32
That won't damage your liver in just one drinking session though.

It has to be years of abuse to do any damage.

I am sure you have googled this

THoltz
06-10-19, 23:35
Oh ok. I’m a relatively new drinker so I’m not that experienced with alcohol. I can go several days without drinking. I do wonder how cholesterol meds interact with alcohol though?

Probably just more health anxiety on my part

Fishmanpa
07-10-19, 01:24
I take Atorvastatin as well (same dosage) and have for many years along with BP meds, blood thinners and other prescriptions. Due to that I have to really limit my alcohol intake to a minimum. That said, I enjoy a beer now and again. I had two watching the football game today. Like you, it really is "now and again". I probably won't have another until next weekend. As long as it's not habitual and excessive, you're fine (according to my doctor). If it's that concerning to you, ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Positive thoughts

THoltz
07-10-19, 04:12
Ok.
Just to be on the safe side, I will probably stop drinking altogether for the next few weeks. I have my liver test in a few weeks where they will check triglycerides. I think I will be fine because I am not a heavy drinker but because I take these meds I will probably stop drinking for a while.