PDA

View Full Version : How do I start letting go of this anxiety ?

Nohelp
07-10-19, 12:57
Hello . Well over the past couple of months I have been in the grip of my stupid health anxiety . Being HA i went all round the houses with various throat / swallowing related "symptoms" . All started by something i had read when googling re . excess saliva !! Theres some white spots in my throat that i first noticed a couple of months ago ( when i started looking down my throat every 5 minutes- could have been there longer for all i know ) and this weekend i went down the bloody google hole again . So saw doctor this morn who as soon as he looked said yes there are spots but nothing sinister , although he doesnt know what they are , he s sure they are not cancer ! As witnessed by my poor long suffering husband. So doc offered to refer me to ENT as a routine appointment for my peace of mind . ( made it clear that it was NOT a suspected cancer referral ) .

Anyway . Yes I am relieved so why do i still feel so anxious about it all ? Its almost as if my brain is addicted to stress hormones . Already thinking " what if etc " ..... how do i let it go ??

This i do know . NO MORE DOCTOR GOOGLE . NO MORE CHECKING . NO MORE WASTED LIFE !!

Thank you for reading xx:shades:

ankietyjoe
07-10-19, 16:12
It's basically a learned habit. You overreact to something because you googled/checked, and then you get reassurance from somewhere.

The reassurance is like scratching an itch, and can be compulsive.

The checking and googling is like a bad habit that your brain has become used to doing.

If you stop the checking cycle, the rest will fall into place. But you already know that ;)