PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely terrified.

Jase.
08-10-19, 14:08
To the point I haven't slept for 3 days. Literally.

I've got tingling all up and down my right leg and it's absolutely terrifying me. It can briefly be in my left leg too but it's mainly my right. It seems to settle down when I'm up and walking about but as soon as I sit/lay down it will start again. Its constant and its been going on for just over 2 weeks now.

Google is telling me it's probably MS or a brain tumour and I'm in bits. I'm literally shaking and crying as I type this. I've never felt this low :(

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated from anybody

Thank you :(

BlueIris
08-10-19, 14:12
Please don't panic? It's far more likely to be something completely innocent. Google says EVERYTHING is MS or a brain tumour.

Jase.
08-10-19, 14:42
Please don't panic? It's far more likely to be something completely innocent. Google says EVERYTHING is MS or a brain tumour.

I try and not panic and not think about it but it's just so hard. It's such a horrible feeling. No pain either. Just this constant tingling and it's driving me up the wall.

I keep telling myself "look if you had something like MS or a tumour you'd probably have a lot more symptoms than just tingling" but that wears off after an hour and I'm back to totally panicking :(

BlueIris
08-10-19, 14:43
Are you getting any help for your anxiety at all?

Jase.
08-10-19, 14:46
Are you getting any help for your anxiety at all?

Not at the moment. I haven't been too bad recently but this has happened and now I've been sent into a frenzy of panic and worry and I just feel so low :(

pav1984
08-10-19, 14:48
Or it could be a trapped nerve or even anxiety.

I am as guilty as the next person for fearing the worst though so i can understand how you feel.

I think MS wouldnt be intermittent like you are experiencing. My MS flareups were never intermittent but steady for a period of time until it got better. MS is where your immune system attacks the nerves. I doubt it would stop if you walk around. I am not a doctor though so cant be sure. The fact it gets better when you move around suggests trapped nerve or something which ironically could feel similar to MS flare up.

MS can be horrible but if you get your head around the fact that most people live happy normal lives it can remove the fear somewhat.

I know nothing about brain tumors but imagine the same applies in that it would be constant.

BlueIris
08-10-19, 14:51
Jase, I think you should go and have a chat to your GP both about the tingling, and your anxiety response to it.

Jase.
08-10-19, 15:00
Or it could be a trapped nerve or even anxiety.

I am as guilty as the next person for fearing the worst though so i can understand how you feel.

I think MS wouldnt be intermittent like you are experiencing. My MS flareups were never intermittent but steady for a period of time until it got better. MS is where your immune system attacks the nerves. I doubt it would stop if you walk around. I am not a doctor though so cant be sure. The fact it gets better when you move around suggests trapped nerve or something which ironically could feel similar to MS flare up.

MS can be horrible but if you get your head around the fact that most people live happy normal lives it can remove the fear somewhat.

I know nothing about brain tumors but imagine the same applies in that it would be constant.

I was thinking a trapped nerve but wouldn't I have pain with that? I'm just so worried that the tingling is constant whenever I'm sat/laid down. I did have the same thought as you in regards to if it was MS/a tumor then it'd be constant and it'd still be there when I'm walking around but it still doesn't help my fears :(

@BlueIris I have a GP appointment but not for another 2 weeks so it's gonna be hell for the next 14 days unfortunately

BlueIris
08-10-19, 15:07
It doesn't have to be hell if you're prepared to work on your anxiety. Take a look at some of the CBT workbooks available on here?

I'm not belittling what you're going through (I suffer from HA myself), but it's an awful way to feel and it isn't compulsory if you can persuade yourself to take a few first steps.

gailveronica
08-10-19, 15:34
I've had tingling in my left leg, arm, and left side of my face for almost a year now. I've had an MRI, CT scan, bloodwork, etc. My neurologist says I have white matter lesions - but they're consistent with migraine syndrome and not sinister. My rheumatologist said it's nothing. My ENT said it's nothing. My GP said it's nothing. My neurologist finally said "Is this something you can live with?" and I said... sure... as long as I know it's not gonna kill me lol - but apparently, from all my docs, this is actually common (don't let the internet scare you) and more likely caused by vitamin deficiencies or pinched nerves or even anxiety (no kidding) than anything sinister. Do not google. I did. I ended up down a huge rabbit hole - even my GP was convinced I had MS due to symptoms that I swear I had (...I'd read about them and suddenly they appeared), but once the neuro saw me, within 5 minutes he said "absolutely not." The scans further proved it. And the neuro said MS is much more rare than the internet will have you believe.

Stop googling. Seriously. I'm speaking from experience - it cost me work days, mental health days, and left me sobbing in an emergency room looking for answers that just weren't there. You will be okay. :)

Jase.
11-10-19, 14:12
I've had tingling in my left leg, arm, and left side of my face for almost a year now. I've had an MRI, CT scan, bloodwork, etc. My neurologist says I have white matter lesions - but they're consistent with migraine syndrome and not sinister. My rheumatologist said it's nothing. My ENT said it's nothing. My GP said it's nothing. My neurologist finally said "Is this something you can live with?" and I said... sure... as long as I know it's not gonna kill me lol - but apparently, from all my docs, this is actually common (don't let the internet scare you) and more likely caused by vitamin deficiencies or pinched nerves or even anxiety (no kidding) than anything sinister. Do not google. I did. I ended up down a huge rabbit hole - even my GP was convinced I had MS due to symptoms that I swear I had (...I'd read about them and suddenly they appeared), but once the neuro saw me, within 5 minutes he said "absolutely not." The scans further proved it. And the neuro said MS is much more rare than the internet will have you believe.

Stop googling. Seriously. I'm speaking from experience - it cost me work days, mental health days, and left me sobbing in an emergency room looking for answers that just weren't there. You will be okay. :)

I stopped googling for a day and never thought about the tingling thinking that might make it subside or go away...but nope. It's still there. Constant. I've just been for a walk and while I was walking I didn't seem to feel it. Now that I'm sat down the tingling is back full force. I can actually feel it slightly in my back too.

I'm a mess again. I'm so sick of feeling like this.

Jase.
18-10-19, 20:17
The tingling has worked its way up to my upper back and twitching/tingling in my face now. God I'm so scared

pav1984
18-10-19, 21:07
Have you asked your doctor? They are the best people to ask.

Sounds like stress to me.

Sparky16
18-10-19, 22:50
The fact that it gets better when you are up and walking makes me think of a mild sciatica, like the nerve is being compressed when you are sitting. Maybe with a dose of anxiety/panic thrown in. I had back pain several years ago that was relieved by walking. With some experimenting, I discovered that several things helped. One was sitting with my knees level or higher than my hips. Since I'm short, this meant finding a footrest for my feet or sitting on a short stool. The other thing that helped was sitting on an exercise ball, where I could change my position slightly every minute or so. It might be worth trying to change your ergonomics and see if it helps.

Jase.
20-10-19, 17:02
The fact that it gets better when you are up and walking makes me think of a mild sciatica, like the nerve is being compressed when you are sitting. Maybe with a dose of anxiety/panic thrown in. I had back pain several years ago that was relieved by walking. With some experimenting, I discovered that several things helped. One was sitting with my knees level or higher than my hips. Since I'm short, this meant finding a footrest for my feet or sitting on a short stool. The other thing that helped was sitting on an exercise ball, where I could change my position slightly every minute or so. It might be worth trying to change your ergonomics and see if it helps.

I originally thought about sciatica but wouldn't that cause pain? Which I don't really have

sarahsarah
20-10-19, 18:50
It's probably a spine issue. I had REALLY BAD (think weeks laying on my front or standing upright only) sciatica for a couple of months years ago now and my left leg was a combination of pain and numbness. I still get the numbness and some tingling from it. I had it before the pain set in too, it was my first symptom of the sciatica, so it might be the same for you. It may never develop into full-blown sciatica so don't worry, just keep active and mobile and try the sciatica stretches as recommended by the NHS as they can make a huge different

Carys
20-10-19, 18:55
Jase, you need to see your doctor to determine what is going on. I'm not saying its something sinister and terrifying, but you are terrified and you could have that relieved with a quick check-over. If you genuinely believe that something is there that should not be there, and can't be attributed to an anxiety state, then there is only one person to help you - the GP

katniss
21-10-19, 04:18
I have had something similar. I had a really strange tingling in my left leg whenever my leg was at rest. While walking I couldn’t feel it. However I could feel it while standing so I found myself constantly shifting my weight on that leg to make myself more comfortable. It was a trapped nerve from wearing heels. It stayed for a week or so. It does happen now and again if I wear the wrong shoes. I remember going through a horrible scare once and I got the tingling in my back and my lips. I ended up in the ER only to be told that it’s anxiety. If it’s tingling all over then really it is just anxiety

Pkstracy
21-10-19, 04:30
I get this its a back/sciataissues, sitting the wron way, sleeping the wrong way. stretching , bending and mine doesnt always have pain.

Jase.
21-10-19, 17:37
Well I had a blood test and I've just seen my GP and she said everything was fine and she thinks it's all anxiety related. Can anxiety REALLY cause tingling/twitching all over the body, short term memory loss, etc. I just find it so hard to believe

Jase.
21-10-19, 19:44
She also said the tingling would be constant and wouldn't go away when I walk if it was something serious

Carys
21-10-19, 20:04
...and she is right.

Jase.
26-10-19, 22:25
I'm beginning to have hot flashes. It's just relentless misery. Can it be caused by anxiety?

EDIT: I'm reading heat sensitivity is an MS/brain tumor thing :/ But I'm also on cymbalta but I can't find anything about it causing hot flashes.

Sigh. Having health anxiety is the worst.

Sparky16
27-10-19, 01:05
I don't see why it couldn't be caused by anxiety. I get them when I'm frustrated by something I'm working on. And one time when I was having a bad anxiety episode, I definitely felt hot. I remember being grateful that the room was over air-conditioned, because while everyone else was freezing, I was trying to cool off.

conan
27-10-19, 05:06
I'm beginning to have hot flashes. It's just relentless misery. Can it be caused by anxiety?

EDIT: I'm reading heat sensitivity is an MS/brain tumor thing :/ But I'm also on cymbalta but I can't find anything about it causing hot flashes.

fwiw my wife had tingling on and off down one whole side of her body and she was SURE it was MS. turns out.... just anxiety. pretty common, i think.

Rox2019
27-10-19, 06:15

It is awful having health anxiety! I am currently worried of cancer due to my lymphnodes and now I’m starting to get worried about aneurysms... the cycle never stops! :( hope you feel better soon!!

Jase.
07-12-19, 17:19
So I haven't really noticed the tingling over the past week or so but it's back with a vengeance now. Same situation - right leg, only happens when I'm sat, goes away when I'm up and walking about. Naturally I'm worried about MS again because MS symptoms are known to come and go.

I long for a worry free life, I really do. :(

Fishmanpa
07-12-19, 17:47
So I haven't really noticed the tingling over the past week or so but it's back with a vengeance now. Same situation - right leg, only happens when I'm sat, goes away when I'm up and walking about. Naturally I'm worried about MS again because MS symptoms are known to come and go.

I long for a worry free life, I really do. :(

I know this thread is old but I wanted to respond to your post. You said something interesting that stood out to me.... "I long for a worry free life, I really do. :(".

I have a bunch of physical side effects from my heart issues, cancer treatment and the meds I take. Point being, we all get/have niggles. Be it stabbing pains, tingling, dizziness etc. etc. etc. The difference is how we view and react to them as well as the cause. I experience many of the physical symptoms (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) of anxiety but it's not anxiety that's causing them. I see a pattern to HA in that one takes a normal niggle and turns it into a catastrophe. The effect snowballs making the symptom worse and causing more symptoms. For me, the symptoms I experience are a PITA and an inconvenience. If anything, it gets frustrating at times but I push through it all and accept that it's the new normal.

The thing is, if you can accept that we all get niggles get to the mindset that it's a PITA as opposed to a "naturally a worry", it might help you change the way you react and help you move on from worrying.

Positive thoughts