PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again. Terrified I have esophageal cancer

always scared
10-10-19, 06:48
So what I've thought I had was sinus issues for a few years now was really silent reflux . I've been clearing my throat and had post nasal drip with a cough with phlegm for years now not thinking it was anything worrisome . Ive also had acid reflux too on and off for years too. I been on nexium for a few years . It helped with the heartburn but not the throat and sinus issues . So here I am again . I'm waking up in panic that I've cancer once again. and I ve waited way too long to get help because I had know I idea this could be esophageal cancer. Im having a real bad bout with reflux right now. My chest and back hurts. Lump in throat feeling, gas, burping and pain in my esophagus!!! PLEASE someone talk me down from this panic!!! :scared15:

always scared
10-10-19, 07:27
I can't sleep . I wish someone was on tonight to talk to me. The sad thing is I've had reflux on and off for years now but really haven't worried about it. Everytime these symptoms bothered me I just said oh it's just my reflux and carried on. BUT now I see this can lead to cancer!!!!!!!! Why can't it just be reflux I can deal with acid reflux . How many years would it take for LPR/Gerds to turn into Cancer ?

BlueIris
10-10-19, 07:41
I'm sorry you're suffering, but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

always scared
10-10-19, 07:47
I'm sorry you're suffering, but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks . I wish my brain could believe that :weep: . It's just that I'd had reflux for so long now and didn't realize it could turn into cancer.

BlueIris
10-10-19, 07:54
It's not especially likely, though. Just because you're afraid, it doesn't mean there's anything to be afraid of.

always scared
10-10-19, 08:26
This panic is insane . It's 3 in the morning and I still cant sleep. I'm trying so hard not to google right now. But my brain is in overdrive panic mode and I just can't shake the feeling of doom and death from cancer. Oh god why can't I just think like a normal person. Should I be worried about having acid reflux on and off for years

BlueIris
10-10-19, 08:32
No, you really shouldn't, but you should maybe see your GP to set your mind at ease.

Are you in a situation where you can put something on to listen to?

always scared
10-10-19, 08:53
No, you really shouldn't, but you should maybe see your GP to set your mind at ease.

Are you in a situation where you can put something on to listen to? I'm too scared to go to the GP . I will probably wait it out in panic mode and hope that I'm wrong. I pretty messed up. I used to go to the doctors for everything but now I'm terrified to go. :weep:

BlueIris
10-10-19, 09:10
You need to get help with your anxiety, though, and I say that as somebody who's exceptionally afraid of the doctor. If you ask them for help, the other stuff will be easier.

In the meantime, I strongly recommend using YouTube to find either guided meditation or sleep music, both of which are my go-to options when the anxiety is keeping me awake.

always scared
10-10-19, 10:20
feel asleep for a bit but jolted awake just now in a cold sweat and sick to my stomach. this is a nightmare. dry heaving is make the pain worse. this is crazy. :weep: i can't do this anymore

BlueIris
10-10-19, 10:59
It really sounds to me as though you need to seek some help for this.

always scared
10-10-19, 11:09
i know no one can really help me. i'm the only one who can . this is the only place i can talk about what i'm going through. my family does not know the hell i'm living inside my brain . thanks for listening to my crazy posts. i know i need help but i'm so scared . i know a lot of people don't bother answering my posts. i just want to hear from others that are having the same symptoms and get a little reassurance to get me through the day.

BlueIris
10-10-19, 11:22
In the end, though, reassurance won't help until you learn to help yourself. I know it's tough - I've been there - but taking steps and learning to wrangle this will make your life so much easier.

always scared
10-10-19, 11:22
It really sounds to me as though you need to seek some help for this. thank you BlueIris for trying to help.

always scared
10-10-19, 11:47
Time to get up and face the day. I now know the pain is coming from my esophagus cause the dry heaving made it 100 times worse.

pav1984
10-10-19, 14:08
Could be a vicious circle. You are nervous about your throat so you notice sensations in your throat. You cough to clear it. This then aggravates it which causes mucus. Which makes you clear your throat and so on. Try replacing clearing your throat with sipping water.

always scared
10-10-19, 14:44
Could be a vicious circle. You are nervous about your throat so you notice sensations in your throat. You cough to clear it. This then aggravates it which causes mucus. Which makes you clear your throat and so on. Try replacing clearing your throat with sipping water.
Yes that makes sense but I'm also having chest and back pain with a lot of gas and burping. I know I have LPR/Gerd and the symptoms come and go but am getting really worried that I've had it for so long now that it had gone on to cancer now. I had these pains back in April a I thought it was pancreas cancer. Had a good summer with no pain just throat clearing and now the pains are back again.

utrocket09
10-10-19, 15:27
Yes that makes sense but I'm also having chest and back pain with a lot of gas and burping. I know I have LPR/Gerd and the symptoms come and go but am getting really worried that I've had it for so long now that it had gone on to cancer now. I had these pains back in April a I thought it was pancreas cancer. Had a good summer with no pain just throat clearing and now the pains are back again.

As someone whom knew of another with EC. If you had it, you would not be able to swallow

clarrie
10-10-19, 18:41
I have the same thing - years of mucus in throat and phlegm and then it got worse when bending over to do anything. Had an endoscopy 3 or so years ago and the gag reflex from the scope made me bring up some mucus. The nurse informed me that this mucus was in fact reflux which was a surprise to me and I was diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis. I’ve been on Omeprazole ever since but it doesn’t seem to help. I don’t get heartburn much, just the mucus and saliva, chest and back pain but sometimes it’s overwhelming so I know where you’re coming from. I get quite hoarse and I haven’t been able to sing for 20 odd years so I think I’ve got LPR rather than GERD but I’ve never had my throat scoped and my doctor’s not interested in looking into it. The pains you are experiencing may well be from acid or gas or general stomach inflammation from gastritis. And when we get anxious about them, the whole digestive system gets flooded with adrenaline and makes the pain even worse. As a fellow sufferer, I sympathise with you and hope you’re feeling a bit better today.

nicole97
10-10-19, 19:43
As someone whom knew of another with EC. If you had it, you would not be able to swallow

Agreed. My father has EC. He went in because he was having a hard time swallowing food down.

always scared
10-10-19, 23:15
I have the same thing - years of mucus in throat and phlegm and then it got worse when bending over to do anything. Had an endoscopy 3 or so years ago and the gag reflex from the scope made me bring up some mucus. The nurse informed me that this mucus was in fact reflux which was a surprise to me and I was diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis. I’ve been on Omeprazole ever since but it doesn’t seem to help. I don’t get heartburn much, just the mucus and saliva, chest and back pain but sometimes it’s overwhelming so I know where you’re coming from. I get quite hoarse and I haven’t been able to sing for 20 odd years so I think I’ve got LPR rather than GERD but I’ve never had my throat scoped and my doctor’s not interested in looking into it. The pains you are experiencing may well be from acid or gas or general stomach inflammation from gastritis. And when we get anxious about them, the whole digestive system gets flooded with adrenaline and makes the pain even worse. As a fellow sufferer, I sympathise with you and hope you’re feeling a bit better today.
Thank you so much for your reply Clarrie. It made me feel a lot better.

wubu
12-10-19, 11:51
Most docs will bung you on Omeprazole which is awesome for acid but not for LPR. The only thing that will help with LPR (after a minimum of a month) is a strict diet. You need low FODMAP foods and use Gavison regularly while in the healing stage. Because LPR isn't caused through acid, it's actually an enzyme called pepsin, the Gaviscon will coat your throat and help stop the pepsin from irritating your throat.

Also keep up water intake, I drink approx 1 - 1.5ltr a day.

I was thinking EC too as my throat has been sore for 2wks and can taste blood, especially in the morning. I've concluded it's a mix of LPR and my rather unhealthy gums which bleed so I assume my throat gets dry at night, gums bleed a bit and pepsin is also irritating my throat.

fishman65
12-10-19, 18:57
I'm convinced I have EC and don't even have any symptoms?! Have been down another google rabbit hole.

meduke
12-10-19, 23:38
You don't have esophageal cancer. I'm assuming you're under 50 yrs old. I worked for twelve years on a surgical unit where we did esophagectomies and we never once had a patient under 50. It would be extremely rare. You would have difficulty swallowing. You're fine.

Quinn1
13-10-19, 11:14
I was in hospital last week and there was a woman in the surgical ward,she has EC and is 42.

The OP’s symptoms are all sounding anxiety related,and should be seeking serious counseling.

always scared
13-10-19, 16:35
Having a bad day again :weep: Did ok for a day or two but the fear is back full force this morning. Now I'm questioning what cancer it is. I'm having mid back pain I feel like I can't breath and I still have so much phlegm stuck in the back of my throat. My mind is racing with worry. Is it throat, esophageal, pancreas, lung, stomach or heart issues ? I F$%#&* hate living this way :wacko::scared15:

Thank you to all that have replied. Some replies have really help. I really am trying not to go down the rabbit hole.

meduke
14-10-19, 06:34
I was in hospital last week and there was a woman in the surgical ward,she has EC and is 42.

The OP’s symptoms are all sounding anxiety related,and should be seeking serious counseling.

It is rare.

Annie0904
30-10-19, 08:28
My Dad died this year from EC and your symptoms are not like any that he had. Most of your symptoms are related to anxiety. You need to see your GP to get reassurance as at the moment you are just making your symptoms worse by worrying.
You say you are too scared to see your gp but you are scared anyway so better to see your gp and get checked out and know that it Isn't something serious.