PDA

View Full Version : i want to help her

Lilly2007
24-09-07, 15:47
My sister is suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, she has a massive fear of dying and ill health. The irony is that her constant worry and anxiety is draining her both physically and mentally and hence making her feel terrible. She has been to doc and casualty in last couple of weeks, had ecg done, x rays blood test etc and been assured she is fine. But she's still struggling - what can I do to help???

purplehaze
26-09-07, 11:02
I think you have done all the right things by going to the doctor and getting all those tests done. I suffer frompanic attacks and I sometimes feel I am about to die and run around in a state of panic, which only feeds the panic more and more. The one thing to let her know is that you cant die of a panic attack and the feelings she is going through are uncomfortable but she can come out the otherside of this.

Are there any groups in her area that offer support?

I would suggest getting her to look at the info on this site relating nto panic attacks.

There is no doubt it is a difficult time for her and also for you.

Her doctor should also be able to prescribe medication to help in the short to medium term.

The best thing you can do is be there for her when you can but you wont be able to be there all the time as this will wear you down. Again down load or print off some of the info on this site and get her to read and re-read it.

take care

cattttt
26-09-07, 11:11
Be there for her..........constant reassurance........lots of hugs........listen to her fears without judging............encourage her to do things which are outside her comfort zone, do it with her.........look at the self help things on this site and do them with her...........do some distracting things with her......go to the doc with her and see if you can get some help.