PDA

View Full Version : Suppressing emotion

woofybaby
24-09-07, 17:02
In my therapy session last week, my therapist said that I suppress emotions and I have (stupidly) been trying to think about what he meant. I keep getting panicky about it and what i'm "hiding" from.

Can anyone help with some techniques for 'unsuppressing emotion'?

purplehaze
26-09-07, 10:49
Therapists say this quite alot.

In fact most people do suppress their emotions, which really just means we are keeping things in which in a sense can be bad for us. An example of this could be "I am angry with mr or mrs x but I dont tell them and it just boils away and I become more annoyed"

It may be that there are issues in your life that you have not dealt with and this can lead to feeling under-valued or not respected for your opinion. On the other hand you may not have any suppressed feelings and are just having a tough time.

Dont read too much into it but may be take time to discuss things with the therapist and let them know how you felt about this.

take care

woofybaby
26-09-07, 13:56
Thank you for your reply.

I think that I have become fixated on it (as is my way unfortunately) and so suddenly I'm creating issues that I might have suppressed my feelings over! It sounds so silly when I write it down, but I'm so confused and frustrated by the whole thing. I suffer from OCD and tend to obsess and then spent hours on the internet trying to "prove" something - I stupidly found a website that said that one of the major causes of depression is suppressed emotion and so I have been imagining all things!