PDA

View Full Version : 2 years on sertraline tapering off

Kayleigh0910
15-10-19, 21:09
so been on this for 2 years 8months well i decided feb to start tapering i started on 150mg and gone down 25mg every 3 months well yeaterday i decided to
go down again but had only
left it 2 months not 3 ive now had nasty dreams, intrusive thoughts, shakes bad anxiety started this afternoon, any advise?
i think ive done it too quick by only leaving 2months ive taken 75mg tonight in hope i return to normal tomorrow as this is horrid
would anyone else say this is the case and it was too quick?
who else tapered successfully?

panic_down_under
15-10-19, 23:00
yeaterday i decided to
go down again but had only

...left it 2 months not 3 ive now had nasty dreams, intrusive thoughts, shakes bad anxiety started this afternoon, any advise?
i think ive done it too quick by only leaving 2months

I doubt reducing the dose at 2 months instead of 3 made any difference. Plasma levels restabilize to a steady-state within about 5 days of a dose decrease (or increase). Beyond this the severity of any withdrawal effects doesn't change much no matter how long the delay between tapers. Long delays are more about confidence building, than a biological necessity.

I suspect the effects you experienced were driven more by your mind than the med because plasma levels won't have changed much within 24 hours of a 25mg dose reduction.

ive taken 75mg tonight in hope i return to normal tomorrow

Going back to the higher dose and taking time to regroup is probably your best bet. Maybe also consider asking your doctor to prescribe a small dose of an antihistamine sedative such as mirtazapine or hydroxyzine to ease any short term anxiety following a dose decrease.

Kayleigh0910
15-10-19, 23:18
Thank you for replying so because I’ve gone back to my 75mg tonight will I still have side effects tomorrow?

panic_down_under
16-10-19, 04:32
Thank you for replying so because I’ve gone back to my 75mg tonight will I still have side effects tomorrow?

Probably not, though this may depend more on your mental state than the amount of med in your system. An anxious mind is very capable of producing the full catastrophe of withdrawal symptoms if given half a chance so avoid dwelling on what may, or may not happen.

Kayleigh0910
16-10-19, 07:51
Didn’t sleep too well was awake every hour haven’t woke up too bad though little anxious but not too bad going to speak to doc today

Kayleigh0910
16-10-19, 13:22
So after yesterday’s post been to see my doctor who has told me to go back upto 100mg and see her in 2 weeks the last time I took 100mg was august 12th then went to 75mg has anyone done this and had side effects going back up? Quite anxious but I was fine at 150 before for 2 years

nomorepanic
16-10-19, 14:28
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

panic_down_under
17-10-19, 00:25
So after yesterday’s post been to see my doctor who has told me to go back upto 100mg and see her in 2 weeks the last time I took 100mg was august 12th then went to 75mg has anyone done this and had side effects going back up? Quite anxious but I was fine at 150 before for 2 years

You may experience some side-effects, but they are usually mild and short-lived in these circumstances.

Kayleigh0910
17-10-19, 08:31
Yeah I have couple, feeling abit sick anxiety stil there although not as bad and bad stomach and tiredness hoping it doesn’t last long I think worrying about what’s going to happen makes it worse so I try not to think about it, also go hot & cold

panic_down_under
17-10-19, 11:32
Yeah I have couple, feeling abit sick anxiety stil there although not as bad and bad stomach

Nausea and stomach issues are quite common because the most serotonergic organ of the body isn't the brain, it is only a minor user, but the enteric nervous system (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/), the mini brain which controls the gut. It makes and uses up to 50 times more serotonin than the brain and can be more affected by SSRI dose changes for a while than the brain is. Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements can help with nausea and the usual over-the-counter remedies should ease an upset stomach if these continue, but they are usually short-lived.

and tiredness hoping it doesn’t last long I think worrying about what’s going to happen makes it worse so I try not to think about it, also go hot & cold

Worrying definitely can make it worse so try to remain positive and focussed on other things.

Kayleigh0910
17-10-19, 14:02
So you think I’ll be back to myself in a couple
Of days? And the thoughts will go away again?

panic_down_under
17-10-19, 23:07
So you think I’ll be back to myself in a couple
Of days? And the thoughts will go away again?

In most cases yes to both, however, as with everything about ADs, there are no guarantees. :unsure:

Kayleigh0910
17-10-19, 23:16
Felt lot better this afternoon and tonight and managed to carry on with every day to day thing hope I wake up ok but trying not to think about it either and get on with it

Kayleigh0910
18-10-19, 09:40
got up this morning slept bit better managed to
Take kids to school! still anxious, heart racing, tired, go hot and cold, hoping it would of passed by now xx

3rd day of 100mg
3rd dose of 100mg tonight

Kayleigh0910
20-10-19, 11:23
4 doses of 100mg
4 days of 100mg
5th dose tonight
Just want to feel myself again I go up to 150mg on the 30th this was the dose I settled on last time just hope it settles in time for Christmas

panic_down_under
20-10-19, 22:07
4 doses of 100mg
4 days of 100mg
5th dose tonight
Just want to feel myself again I go up to 150mg on the 30th this was the dose I settled on last time just hope it settles in time for Christmas

It should do as you're not starting from scratch.

It is probably too early as plasma levels of the increase to 100mg won't have stabilized yet, but has there been any change in side-effects and anxiety severity?

Kayleigh0910
21-10-19, 08:11
Anxiety gets less of an afternoon/evening the shakes seem to have subsided and I managed to eat more yesterday. Wake up feeling irritated but does wear off

Kayleigh0910
22-10-19, 10:59
So last night was my 6th dose of 100mg but my anxiety is terrible! Woke up loads lastnight extremely anxious every time felt like my body was like buzzing? I was quite scared I’m not sure if it was a dream or something but I can’t remember it if it was and it went on all night??
Any insight??

panic_down_under
22-10-19, 11:56
So last night was my 6th dose of 100mg but my anxiety is terrible! Woke up loads lastnight extremely anxious every time felt like my body was like buzzing? I was quite scared I’m not sure if it was a dream or something but I can’t remember it if it was and it went on all night??
Any insight??

It might be the typical increase in anxiety that often accompanies SSRI dose increases, or just one of those inexplicable, usually short-lived, setbacks common to ADs. They can be unpredictable meds prone to producing a 1 step forward then 2-3 back shuffle which can be unnerving, but doesn't mean anything significant. The thing to keep an eye on is the good periods. As long as they steadily increase in frequency, duration and quality you're on the right track.