PDA

View Full Version : Permanent hearing damage from infection?

Peterthegreatworrier
16-10-19, 11:33
Hey there.
I caught some sort of bug a few days ago, with a bad headache, phlegmy hacking cough and some slight ear pain and muffled hearing. It's been very slowly improving, but my hearing is still muffled and, even more alarming, certain noises actually sound annoyingly louder than normal. I'm really worried that the infection has somehow done permanent damage to cells involved in hearing. I already panicked a bit to my parents earlier in the illness when I was worried I was getting pneumonia, so if I spoke to them about this I won't get a great response.
Should I worry about this?

lebonvin
16-10-19, 11:42
Nope

ankietyjoe
16-10-19, 11:47
If it's only been a few days then there's nothing to worry about. Infections can take weeks to recover from fully.

Peterthegreatworrier
16-10-19, 11:49
That's encouraging to hear :) But how can you be sure? Is it normal?

ankietyjoe
16-10-19, 11:52
Is what normal?

Peterthegreatworrier
16-10-19, 12:09
Is what normal?

The sensitivity to some sounds?

ankietyjoe
16-10-19, 12:22
Well no, unless perhaps you have an infection.

Peterthegreatworrier
16-10-19, 12:36
Well no, unless perhaps you have an infection.

Ok. I know I shouldn't panic, I'm just kind of worried that my cochlear is being destroyed by a virus or something Well, I'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.

Peterthegreatworrier
17-10-19, 07:56
I think I should mention, a few years ago I was actually struggling with similar ear symptoms but that was triggered by noise exposure. Tests showed no hearing loss and it very slowly went back to normal. But, I have no idea how this infection could have set it off again :(

ankietyjoe
17-10-19, 08:01
I think it would be a good idea and wait for a few weeks and then see if it is still a problem.

Peterthegreatworrier
17-10-19, 08:07
I think it would be a good idea and wait for a few weeks and then see if it is still a problem.

Thank you very much :) Yeah, I guess it is a waste of time worrying. Ok, I'll give it a shot.