PDA

View Full Version : Urgent referral for colonoscopy - terrified

WildBerry
19-10-19, 08:52
I am 72 and have suffered from IBS for most of my adult life. I have also struggled with health anxiety forever. Over the last few months my IBS symptoms worsened to the point where I finally went to the GP. She ran blood tests, diagnosed inflammation & infection, sent me home with antispasmodics to rest. Things gradually improved, but after a couple of weeks my lower-left abdominal pain and nausea started coming back, so I went back to the GP. She ordered more blood tests and a stool test called a FIT - more sensitive than the standard one. A few days after sending off the test, I got a call from the hospital saying that high levels of blood had been found in my sample, and I needed to come in urgently for a colonoscopy. That was Thursday. It’s now Saturday, and my health anxiety is through the roof. My colonoscopy is on Tuesday, and all I can think about is that I’m sure I have bowel cancer. I am utterly terrified. The nurse who rang me went through a list of symptoms - pain (yes), bloating (yes), nausea/vomiting (no vomiting, but nausea, yes), change in bowel habits (yes), loss of appetite (yes)... She said the levels of blood they found cause concern about cancer, hence the urgency. So i am convinced now that I have advanced colon cancer, and earlier symptoms I’d attributed to IBS were really more serious, so it’s probably incurable now. I don’t know how I’m going to get through the next few days - and then waiting for the results of any biopsies. Any advice, reassurance, words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Quinn1
19-10-19, 12:14
I don’t have any words of wisdom,but will send you a hug:bighug1:and let us know how it goes.

Quinn xx

BlueIris
19-10-19, 12:25
Sending positive and hopeful thoughts your way.

nomorepanic
19-10-19, 12:31
Just try and remember it isn't cancer until they say it is.

Good luck with it.

jojo2316
19-10-19, 13:19
Of course you are terrified. But try not to catastrophise too much. The physical symptoms you are getting are consistent with IBS (and not new to you). Blood can be caused by lots of things and usually isn’t cancer.
Have you ever had a colonoscopy before?

WildBerry
20-10-19, 01:10
Thanks all. I really appreciate the support. I have had a Colonoscopy before- about 12 or 13 years ago. It was clear. I’m so scared this one won’t be.

jojo2316
20-10-19, 07:53
It takes a polyp about 10 years to develop into cancer. So it is fairly unlikely that a polyp will have appeared and turned into “advanced” cancer in that time.

jojo2316
20-10-19, 07:55
A quote from a credible source:
“Current theories propose it will take about 10 years for a small adenoma (polyp) to transform into a cancer. That is why the standard interval for screening colonoscopy is 10 years.

jojo2316
20-10-19, 07:59
It is also worth noting that a bacterial infection in the bowel can cause bleeding. But you are getting looked at on Tuesday and then you will know for sure.

pulisa
20-10-19, 08:36
The waiting must be horrible but the colonoscopy will be definitive and you will get a professional and accurate diagnosis. We all fear the worst but there are other causes of bleeding as jojo says although you are anticipating BC..

I really hope that Tuesday comes soon so that you can get more information and deal with whatever is diagnosed.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
20-10-19, 11:36
Hi, sending you a big hug.... the waiting is always the hardest part, but remember the imagination is worse than the reality, I’m sure whatever the outcome it will get sorted and you will be absolutely fine. Lots of love x

pulisa
21-10-19, 19:24
It's nearly Tuesday now. The very best of luck for tomorrow and please let us know how you get on and what is said? x

WildBerry
22-10-19, 17:04
Thank you everyone for your reassurances, support, and good wishes - they have meant so much, and helped me through some pretty shaky days. I’m so grateful.
And now the good news - had the colonoscopy this morning. Two tiny polyps were removed, and three large, “angry” diverticula were found, almost certainly the cause of the bleeding. Nothing else, nothing sinister, no further investigations needed. Huge, HUGE relief.
Thank you again, everyone. :grouphug:

nomorepanic
22-10-19, 17:05
Great news.:flowers:

I have diverticula and they can bleed sometimes especially when food gets stuck in them. Did they talk to you about diet at all?

WildBerry
22-10-19, 17:13
A little - more fibre, keep well hydrated, avoid seeds. I was sent home with a leaflet, which goes into a bit more detail. The important thing is to avoid constipation. I will be talking to my GP this week; I’m sure she’ll have some advice.

nomorepanic
22-10-19, 17:17
Yeah it was the seeds thing that is important as they get stuck in the pockets. Good news though all round.

pulisa
22-10-19, 17:43
Fantastic news and a huge relief for you!!! Going seed-free from now on will be a breeze compared to what you were anticipating!

I hope you can relax now and talk to your GP about the best ways to manage this x

YoullNeverWalkAlone
22-10-19, 19:12
Hi Wildberry, great news and well done on being so strong. Now you can relax and unwind. Xx

jojo2316
22-10-19, 19:31
The very best news!!! And now, breath!

Scass
22-10-19, 20:54
Thrilled for you! Good news is always welcome x

Phill2
22-10-19, 21:30
Good to hear it went well.
I have one booked for Tuesday and have been stressing since the appointment was made.
Did they put you to sleep for it?
That's the part stressing me most.
Thanks
Phill

Quinn1
23-10-19, 07:11
Phill
They give you a Twilight drug,you are not asleep,but you will not remember having it done.
You will be ok,and all the best.Keep us informed when you have had it.:D

Phill2
23-10-19, 07:13
Thanks for the reassurance Quinn :yesyes:

Quinn1
23-10-19, 07:23
No Problem Phill :D

Phill2
30-10-19, 04:44
Had it yesterday
I told em I suffer from anxiety and they hit me with something really good.
Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.
I was tired last night and have a sore bum today but all is good
The prep to clean your bowels was the worst bit.
I ended up taking my tablet into the toilet to watch TV while it lasted.

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-19, 05:47
Had it yesterday
I told em I suffer from anxiety and they hit me with something really good.
Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.
I was tired last night and have a sore bum today but all is good
The prep to clean your bowels was the worst bit.
I ended up taking my tablet into the toilet to watch TV while it lasted.

Glad it went well, Phill. Was this you?

https://i2.wp.com/ladnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/colonoscopy-meme-18-featured.jpg?resize=1024%2C768&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/ladnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/colonoscopy-meme-22.jpg?resize=600%2C450&ssl=1

https://i1.wp.com/ladnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/colonoscopy-meme-4.jpg?resize=640%2C492&ssl=1

https://i1.wp.com/ladnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/colonoscopy-meme-24.jpg?resize=550%2C343&ssl=1

And watch out for those doctors...

https://pics.me.me/when-was-getting-my-prostate-exam-l-asked-the-doctor-52710837.png

http://www.humoar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/after-prostate-exam.jpg

:ohmy::blush::roflmao:

Phill2
30-10-19, 06:51
I think they used the camera mounted on the baseball bat.

Quinn1
30-10-19, 08:09
Hi Phill
Yes that is how it feels:roflmao:

Love the Memes Terry :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-19, 02:22
Hi Phill
Yes that is how it feels:roflmao:

Love the Memes Terry :roflmao:

Quinn, there's a classic thread on here about this if you want a giggle:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?88443-Save-electricity-by-having-a-Colonoscopy&highlight=fridge

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-19, 02:23
I think they used the camera mounted on the baseball bat.

Anaconda up the ass is one I've heard before too. :ohmy:

One of my dad's mates had one a few months back and when they pulled the camera out he nearly shattered the windows with an almighty fart! :roflmao:

Hazel7797
09-06-21, 16:50
This is my story exactly! I am hoping and praying you had a positive outcome and are now fine and well!