PDA

View Full Version : Star-like thing in vision

Peterthegreatworrier
24-10-19, 11:00
Hey everyone.
For almost a week, I've noticed a small afterimage-like stary thing in my vision, only in my right eye. It's most prominent when there is a shift from light to dark, and fades after closing my eye.
I was coughing a lot recently, and I'm worried that I caused some retinal damage through that.
It's been really worrying me. Should it?

NancyW
24-10-19, 12:15
Why would you ask here?
Our eyes are precious, see an ophthalmologist (medical eye dr) for a proper eye exam.

Peterthegreatworrier
25-10-19, 00:26
Why would you ask here?
Our eyes are precious, see an ophthalmologist (medical eye dr) for a proper eye exam.

Thanks for the reply.
The reason I am asking here is because I have a history of health anxiety and I want to know if it is necessarily something serious. I know I better get a checkup, but I also don't want to be incessantly worrying about it. Also, if I told my parents (who I live with) about it I think they'd be dismissive, since I've been excessively worrying about my cold symptoms for the past couple of weeks and have kind of driven them up the wall.

NancyW
25-10-19, 02:38
No one here can diagnose you, at best you're going to get a guess and that will do nothing for your HA.

Peterthegreatworrier
25-10-19, 02:56
No one here can diagnose you, at best you're going to get a guess and that will do nothing for your HA.

Thanks. Yeah, that's true.
I don't know how I'm going to tell my parents though :( They'd just be annoyed and dismissive

Peterthegreatworrier
25-10-19, 12:22
Thanks for the advice guys.
I spoke to my mum and she's going to make an appointment with the local optomitrist. I know that's not an opthamologist but I guess if they thought it would warrent a further investigation they'd refer me to an opthamologist. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

NancyW
25-10-19, 12:41
It's a good first step, did you also tell her you need help with your anxiety?

Peterthegreatworrier
26-10-19, 03:44
That's good to hear :)
Oh, she does know. I've actually been treated for my anxiety for quite some time, and it's actually a lot better than it used to be.
Thanks so much for the support everyone, been a big help.

Peterthegreatworrier
01-11-19, 08:43
Hey everyone, here's an update.
I went to the optometrist two days ago, who did a thorough examination. He found no sign of anything wrong, which has calmed me down a bit, but now I'm wondering even more what it could be.
I know this is pretty irrational, but I'm now a bit concerned it could be a brain tumour or something. It's not panicking me, but I'm certainly still a bit on edge.

Quinn1
01-11-19, 10:59
You got the all clear,sit back and breathe,you do not have a brain tumour or anything else.
Do you see anyone for your anxiety?