PDA

View Full Version : gp has prescribed citalopram

hopeful
25-09-07, 14:19
After having anxiety for years and trying self help I made an appointment to see my gp. I saw him this morning and he says its panic attacks.Hes prescribed citalopram 20mg a day. I told him that Id been given prozac 2 years ago but had only taken about 3 as they gave me diarrohea and a strange feeling. He said in view of that to take 10mg for 2 weeks and then increase to 20mg.
I asked about cbt,he said there is a waiting list of a year in this area! Ive signed up for a free cbt course online which I intend to start soon.
I was so scared sitting waiting to see him but feel better now Ive managed to explain whats been happening to me. I'm about to take my first tablet and praying that they work for me. Anyone had good results on citalopram?

julie x

mat74
25-09-07, 14:23
Hi Julie, I have been on Citalopram 10mg daily for 6 weeks now. Only just started to feel nauseous with it but I am up and down really. I need to see my GP again for a 'review' as I may need my meds changed if this is what they are doing to me.

We all react in different ways so the only way you will know is by popping them and seeing if they help.

Best wishes and good luck

Mat x

trac67
25-09-07, 16:34
Hi Julie,

I have been on citalopram for about 8 years now and they really did help me and after the initial minor side effects for the first few weeks I have had no problems with them at all, they keep my anxiety to a minimum 90% of the time :yesyes: I too tried prozac first and they sent me off the planet :wacko:

Hope they help you as much as they did me

Take care

Trac xxx

hopeful
25-09-07, 17:15
Thanks mat and trace.
Trace, what strength do you take. I took 10mg around 3pm today and feel a bit spaced out but ok.
julie x

honeybee3939
25-09-07, 20:12
Hi Julie

I have been taking citalopram on and off for years, the med as really helped me.

I too hope they help you as much as they did me, let us know how things go hun.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

samc100
25-09-07, 21:30
Hi Julie

I took Citalopram for about 9 months on the 10mg dose then upped to the 20mg then gradually back down again...

I did have side effects but my attacks were so bad it was hard to spot what was what really. Then after 10days I began to level out very slowly.
Like you -I'd take one and get really spaced out!

I was fine with them after that. But if you have no joy with these then there are others so don't get upset if you haven't found what works for you.

Hope you ok. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Frankie23
26-09-07, 12:09
Ive been on Citalopram for 2 months now!! generally ive been fantastic on them, im trying to work through whats causing my attacks, the first 2 weeks were a nightmare but if you can stick with them you find a change within a couple of weeks

KittyKate
27-09-07, 19:28
Hi, I am on 20mg of Citalopram, I take mine just before I go to bed at night. It doesnt make me spaced out and I think it helps me sleep! x

honeybee3939
27-09-07, 19:31
Kate

I always took mine too before bed, i found i didnt get any side effects by doing it that way also.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

CliveL
27-09-07, 20:39
I am on 60mg of citalopram and take them in the mornings, if I am having panicey day then I also take quiet life.

hopeful
28-09-07, 08:58
Thanks for the replies,much appreciated.
I'm taking my 10mg at 8am each day.As I work nights 3 or 4 nights per week its sometimes before bed and sometimes at the start of my day. Im now on day 4 and apart from the weird lightheadedness I feel pretty much ok.Not had the diarrohea that stopped me taking prozac 2 years ago. I hate having to take these damn tablets but if they are going to make me well then thats what I'll have to do.
julie x

Dying_Swan
28-09-07, 10:54
Hey.

Well done for talking to your GP about it all - I think it helps a lot just to know there is a professional who knows what's going on for you.

I've been on Citalopram 20mg for 2 years and they have certainly helped me.
Personally I always take them in the morning, as I was told they can keep you awake....but from reading this it seems that it doesn't matter what time you take them.

Side-effects: You may get a few.....generally speaking it's best to give SSRI's at least 6 weeks to kick in properly, and to let the side effects die down. Obviously, read the label in the pack and any worrying side effects, contact GP before continuing or stopping.

It might be worth trying to get onto the waiting list for CBT, if you think it would help you. I found CBT invaluable...it's just a crying shame it isn't more readily available.

Good luck xxx :)

KittyKate
28-09-07, 21:11
I'm still waiting for CBT after a year! Luckly I had no side affects from the citalopram at all x

Gary1975
28-09-07, 22:59
i am on them now been on them for 4 weeks not feeling any effects at all :(

KittyKate
28-09-07, 23:26
Hi Gary :)

Do you mean you've had no side effects yet or they havent started working yet?

If its the latter, then keep in there mate, i've heard they sometimes take six weeks to work.

Kate :hugs:

hopeful
01-10-07, 09:10
Im now on day 7 at 10mg and still getting the spaced out feeling and also feel quite sick at times. I will persevere but I dont think I'll increase to 20mg as I think the side effects will be too much.Do they still work for anxiety/panic at 10mg dose? or will I have to increase later?
julie x

ladygrom
01-10-07, 09:15
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_12_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm860YYGB) hi i have been on citalopram for 5 months now 10m in morning 20m at that the first 2 weeks of taking them wer the worse but they have helped me.hope they help you to im sure they will it takes time tc elainex

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZCxdm860YYGB (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZCxdm860YYGB&utm_id=7922)

hopeful
03-10-07, 09:53
I'm now on day 9 and no longer feel sick or spaced out. I'm supposed to increase to 20mg next Tuesday. Will I get the side effects again when I increase the dose? Dont know what to do for the best.
Any advice appreciated.
julie x

cams
10-10-07, 12:03
Hi all, i have suffered from anxiety now for 2 years, last sep my GP prescribed citalopram 20mg, after 5 days i could not cope with it, i was nt depressed before now i could nt leave my house! i switched to propanalol, taken as and when i needed it. i found this effective. from march 2007 i never had any anxiety at all and didnt require any meds, i was excercising regular, cut down on wine and felt i had a new lease of life. Then ...bang... i felt ill in the gym..those anxious effects hit me..am i going to collapse? can anyone here resuscitate me? oh my god..get out quick!! i lost all confidence again. i tried everything hypnotherapy, holidays away from the stresses of life and nothing has helped. having just spent a week in the sun ruined everyday by the choking sensation in my throat and the fears of collapsing in a restaurant, i decided it was time for my GP again. obviously the anxiety had nt gone away it was just dorment for a while, i am now on my 3rd day of citalopram but starting with a lower dose of 10mg, i take it in the evening as opposed to the morning and i am feeling so far ok, a little spaced but nothing to bother me. as i work in the NHS i was terrified of anti-depessants but i am so desperate to banish this anxiety i am willing to try anything. i hope and pray this route will help me as like all sufferers i hate this feeling and the constant thoughts of fear in my mind.

P.S. this site is superb. xx

Pompey Lynne
10-10-07, 12:48
Hi Julie

I took 20mg Citalopram early last year when I was feeling jittery about getting married. I can remember no problems them. Two weeks ago however my GP prescribed Citalopram 10mg for anxiety and after taking the first tablet, was completely spaced out. I felt dizzy, light headed, sick, my legs felt very weak and I generally felt completely awful. I decided not to continue taking them having spoken to my GP who said it was strange I reacted this way, having taken them successfully before. Perhaps my body just doesnt agree with them anymore.

Good luck though, I'm sure if you can persevere with the side effects you will be fine. They certainly helped me last year and I was only taking them for four months before I felt well enough to reduce the dose and stop them completely.
:)

Juliet
10-10-07, 13:51
I took citalopram 10mgs a day for a few years on and off and it really helped me.It takes about 2 weeks to 'kick in' but its worth sticking with it.I never really had any side effects form it either and I found I was ok when I stopped it too.Ive been off meds for about 18 months now,but Im not in a good place at the moment,so I may be back on them soon myself.Good luck to you.By the way,where did you find out about the free CBT course.I would be interested in that?

Juliet xx

hopeful
11-10-07, 08:45
Juliet I found out about the courses on here. There is one on Living life to the full and one on Moodgym. If you just enter either of the above then you should find it.
Ive now been on citalopram for 17 days. I took 10mg for 10 days then increased to 15mg and plan to increase to 20mg soon.My anxiety/panic is a lot better and Im not dwelling on things quite so much.I hope things continue to improve.If I was you then Id go back on the tablets again and do the cbt course at the same time. Good luck.
julie x

WDWFan
12-10-07, 22:31
I used to be ok with this drug, and it did help, but just recently started taking it again and it just knocks me out then wakes me up in a severe panic attack! my doctor can't understand it, and keeps telling me to stick with it! but i would rather go without! might have to change doctors.

hopeful
23-11-07, 09:22
Just posting to say that I've now been on citalopram for 8 weeks.I started on 10mg then 15mg and been on 20mg for the last 5 1/2 weeks.
Last night my husband said to me 'you seem happy',I said 'thats cos I feel happy'. The improvement has been slow,at times I've felt the citalopram was not doing much for me but I must admit that I'm coping so much better with life now.It seems that I've found the right med for me and I feel great that my hubbie has noticed the difference in me. I know meds only mask the problem but I'm still practising relaxation,breathing,affirmations etc.
To anyone just starting out on this med I would say be patient,it does take time to work.
julie x :D

emma81
24-11-07, 22:25
Hiya i have been on citalopram 20mg a day for the past 9 months. They did make me feel a bit funny the first day or 2 i took them and i did have a few moments where i thought i didnt want to keep taking them, but i stuck at it and have felt an improvement with my overall anxiety on them. Once you get through those first few days if they do make you feel a bit strange that effect should wear off and you will slowly start to feel the benefit. My gp wants me to increase to 40 mg a day now but like you i dont want those funny feelings again so i am putting it off!

Emma :)