PDA

View Full Version : Worried sick about dents on my ankles

tmnangdrm
31-10-19, 06:20
Discovered recently that I have pitting edema. I've always though my ankles were puffy, but it didn't occur to me to press them until last Friday. Can't say how worse they are - it looks different depending on the angle Doing so resulted in dents, and now I'm worried sick because I googled (I know, I know). Anyone else have these? I'm 29, female, very much overweight. I know I'm not exactly the healthiest and some people have told me that it might be due to being on the heavy side and being sedentary (I sit in front of a laptop for most of the day because of work), and that could be very much the reason, but my head is racing because of the other potential reasons. I have lost sleep for days now because of this, and I am set to see a GP on Saturday, as well as a psychiatrist. I hope I have somebody to talk to about this.

Careful1
31-10-19, 12:50
I have swelling in my feet and ankles as well. My cardiologist says it's not terrible and she isn't worried but my socks make deep dents in my skin that become painful and I need to take them off. I do not know why mine are swollen all the time but my dr doesn't seemed concerned so I try not to worry.

Maybe have your dr check it out on your next appointment but try not to worry to much in the meantime. There are lots more non scary reasons for swelling in the ankles then there are scary ones and for the scary ones the edema is significant. (((Hugs)))

tmnangdrm
02-11-19, 11:01
I have swelling in my feet and ankles as well. My cardiologist says it's not terrible and she isn't worried but my socks make deep dents in my skin that become painful and I need to take them off. I do not know why mine are swollen all the time but my dr doesn't seemed concerned so I try not to worry.

Maybe have your dr check it out on your next appointment but try not to worry to much in the meantime. There are lots more non scary reasons for swelling in the ankles then there are scary ones and for the scary ones the edema is significant. (((Hugs)))

Thank you for the response, Careful1. I'm trying not to worry because I won't see a GP until Monday. And I take comfort in your last paragraph -- Dr. Google tends to focus on the scary reasons which I can't help but dwell on, and which are often associated with my weight. And I'd like to think my swelling is not significant. I'm short of breath these past few days but it honestly began when I started focusing on the symptom. Ruined my birthday, really. It felt like my world has stopped just like during all my other intense episodes of HA, and I couldn't take any of the basic steps to take care of myself and be healthier.

I really hope I am okay. I'm also hoping to get ahold of a psychiatrist and a therapist next week.

tmnangdrm
03-11-19, 12:20
Seeing the doctor tomorrow. Really scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful1
03-11-19, 13:55
Don't be afraid, everything is gonna be okay. Sending you some positive vibes :)

tmnangdrm
03-11-19, 17:59
Thank you so much [emoji24]

tmnangdrm
04-11-19, 07:20
Update: there's nothing wrong with me according to the doctor's initial impression. My feet and ankles are not swelling. Maybe I'm pressing it harder than l should be. BP was high, but they took it right after I brisk walked, general tests will probably be better, they said. Talked to a psychiatrist about "illness anxiety disorder" and was prescribed meditation and meds (Escitalopram and Quetiapine). Requested for labs but I will have to wait until Friday.

Struggling with not thinking it is swelling, but trying to rationalize that I am not a medical professional.