PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram And Diazepam

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 17:25
after 10 months off the citalopram my doc has suggested that i start taking 20mg a day of citalopram again but this time she has said that if i find the side effects to bad to take a diazepam to take the edge off did anyone else do this to help with there side effects when they started citalopram

mystics
25-09-07, 17:53
Hi Bluebird,
I am on day 6 of Citalopram and so far so good, i am also using diazapam as a back up if needed to help with any side effects.

I would say after the initial me wobbling about taking them i feel pretty good,Fraggle says i'm not on this planet, but i dont care cos i feel pretty good better than i have in a long time and I seem to be getting my sense of humour back :yesyes:

Whilst I know it is still very early days I am really hopeful that Citalopram can help as i had really had enough of feeling so anxious all the flippin time and felt i was burdening my family more and more.

Good luck with them quite a few on here have had such good results with them lets hope we can too eh??

Brightest Angel Blessings
Mystics :flowers:

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 18:22
hi mystics i was on citalopram for 3 years and it completely cleared my anxiety and panic so i stopped taking them but now 10 months on the panic has returned with avengence so i spoke to my doc and we decided i should start back on the citalopram but the last time i took them i suffered no side effects so all was well however this time around i am feeling quite rough so the doc suggested i take a diazepam if the side effects get so bad i was a bit nervous taking them both together and just needed a bit of reassurance that it was ok to take diazepam alongside the citalopram without any problems

mystics
25-09-07, 18:40
Hi again,
My Gp recommended that i take a diaz 1st thing in the morn, then eat a light snack to take Citalopram mid morning and then have diaz's if needed throughout the day,

Prior to being on citalopram i was on diaz but was getting more anxious about becoming addicted and coming off them if that makes sense.???

So we now plan Citalopram 10mg for 4 weeks with the diaz to see how i go,then either increase citalopram or decrease diaz.

So basically i have no ill effects from taking both, doc says she couldnt find any reason not to take them both at the same time but would perhaps be better to take as explained above.

I too was very anxious about taking them as my previous doc had just stopped my diaz and given me 20mg of citalopram and totally flipped me out.

I guess the best way forward is to take a diaz in the morning as i do to try and calm yourself a little before taking, just my suggestion different strokes for different folks and all that

Good Luck again

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 18:53
hi mystics yes ive been taken diazepam aswell and was scared of becomming addicted but i can handle the side effects from the citalopram in the day its just the nights i find hard and would like to take a valium at night before bed just wondering what strength diazepam do u take i take 2,s

mystics
25-09-07, 18:59
Hi again :D ,
I'm on 2mg diaz too and cant see a prob with taking them at night when i was first on diaz i used to take 2 x 2mg a bedtime and slept brilliantly :)

I have noticed though that my sleeping pattern is a little disturbed now with the citalopram but hopefully that will settle down as they start to kick in,

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 19:05
one more thing sorry do the diazepam work as well with the citalopram do they help with the side effects

mystics
25-09-07, 19:10
No probs any questions fire away i will help as much as i can.:D

I found that the diaz are great with helping me with the side effects, when i start to feel abit wibbly i just pop a diaz keep busy for half an hour and heyyyyyyyyyyyy am soooooooooooo chilled lol

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 21:04
thanks alot i think ill be popping a valium within the next hour lol

nomorepanic
25-09-07, 21:20
Please please be careful with the Diazepam and use it only when necessary and not regularly.

I know people that now deeply regret ever starting on it and struggling to get off it.

bluebirds2005
25-09-07, 21:58
Its ok nic i might take one or two a week at most just need to take the edge off these side effects

Dying_Swan
28-09-07, 11:02
Hey Bluebirds.

I was prescribed Citalopram, with Lorazepam (virtually the same as Diazepam)...the Lorazepam only to be used when needed.

Yes - the Diazepam will very likely calm you down and help you through the really panicky episodes. It is fine to take it with Citalopram.

Like Nic said though, be careful with it. As well as being physically addictive, I think it is also psychologically addictive, and I think this is the biggest problem. Basically - it calms you down. You learn that when you take Diazepam, you feel better. So it becomes incredibly difficult to realise that you will be ok without it. To this end, however little you take, it is addictive. Your body might not be craving it, but you need to learn that you will be fine without it.

I'd suggest you stick with what the GP has prescribed for now. Diazepam can be useful in getting you through the most difficult times. As soon as you feel a bit better though, stop taking it and try to deal with those difficult situations without it. Once you fully believe you will be fine and cope with the panic - you will.

Good luck xxx

country girl
19-03-10, 13:36
Can anyone tell me how long the side effects last whilst taking the citalopram..i have also got diazepam to take to help but would that just knock me out? lol. Any advice would be good..cheers :unsure:

martbarr
19-03-10, 13:51
[QUOTE=country girl;633758]Can anyone tell me how long the side effects last whilst taking the citalopram..i have also got diazepam to take to help but would that just knock me out? lol. Any advice would be good..cheers :unsure:[/QUOTE

Hi CGirl,

My side effects on 20mg citalopram were mostly over in 3 weeks.
Not happy at all in the first three weeks.
But then I was sleeping properly again, tum had settled down, headaches gone, most of the vagueness had gone, just had a male "side effect" that you won't get (more details on a postcard!), and it was all much much easier after 3 wks.

Now am into 9 weeks and no sign of any side effects!

I would try my hardest not to use any other pill except cit - you can do it.
If you must take an *azepam, keep it irregular and infrequent.
I found regular nytol helped me sleep as well as the *azepams to be honest.

Although we are all different, so do what you need to I guess!

xMartian

country girl
20-03-10, 10:44
Thanks Martin..early days and feeling like crap...it seems like the panic attacks are ten times worse and i feel like an alien in unfamiliar surroundings but apart from that i am determined to stick with it. Thanks again all the best. :shades:

country girl
20-03-10, 10:51
sorry Martian think got ur name wrong. :wacko:

JT69
20-03-10, 11:13
Hi Country Girl,

You were correct it is Martin, we have a bit of a giggle on here and call Martin all sorts so dont worry, he is very funny and makes us laugh.

I am not currently taking citalopram but did take it for around 9 years on and off and it was very successfull for me at that time. I always found as long as I started on a low dose and worked my way up very slowly the side effects were not so bad but ones I suffered with were:

Lost my appetite, and lost around a stone and half when first taking it
Insomnia, would not be able to sleep and if I did drop off would wake really early
Increased anxiety, that was the worst for me but diazepam can help but I only took it when I really had to as it can become addictive.
Lack of libido - this is a bit of a pain but not everyone feels this.

The side effects you can experience are nothing compared to the benefits the med can bring to you, they do pass, if you can take a couple of weeks away from work it would ease the problem untill the meds really start to take effect, it not, then I know some people on here who have managed to work whilst taking it.

Please remember we are all different, so you might not experience the same as others.

Good luck hun..Jo.xx

martbarr
20-03-10, 13:23
sorry Martian think got ur name wrong. :wacko:

Oops - I have been called many things on here cg.

I think your determination will see you through!
Stick with it - it does get loads better.

Cheers
Sir Barrett of Martinshire

moomin1
21-03-10, 14:47
Hi Country Girl,

I'm on week 10 (or 11 or something like that - have lost track now!) of 20mg Citalopram and most of the side effects have gone. Only thing I do get still is a bit of insomnia but it's not an 'unpleasant' insomnia - ie no anxiety involved with it - just a bit frustrating when you know you have a busy day ahead! But they have been so worth it! Apart from the occassional blip I feel back to my old self almost.

My gp gave me diazepam to take in the first few weeks but managed to steer clear of them so can't really advise as to them! I think personally I am glad I didn't take them as although it was no picnic in the park to start with I feel stronger knowing I managed to make it through the worst unaided! But then I don't think my anxiety is as bad as other's on here so it is all individual.

country girl
24-03-10, 12:31
I am on day 6 and still suffering with bad side effects..i take a 2mg diaz in the morning but try not to take anymore through the day but find myself still getting anxious and panicky. I want to thank everyone who has posted a reply because believe it or not it really does help :) x

JT69
24-03-10, 16:43
I am on day 6 and still suffering with bad side effects..i take a 2mg diaz in the morning but try not to take anymore through the day but find myself still getting anxious and panicky. I want to thank everyone who has posted a reply because believe it or not it really does help :) x

Hi Country girl,

Sorry you are still feeling anxious (blooming horrible side effect). Dont be afraid to take more diazepam if you need to...you wont become addicted, it will help you whilst you are suffering the side effects, even if you need to take 2mg 3 times a day you will soon wean down once the side effects disappear.

I felt like you and was scared to take them but found that I just needed that extra help and as soon as the citalopram kicks in you wont need them as that will help control the anxiety and panic. I tended to take 2mg in the morning and 2mg at lunch time as I felt at my best in the evenings.

I hope the effects soon pass hun and you start to feel better. After about 2 weeks hopefully you should start to notice a difference...I did anyhow.

Take care

Jo.xx

country girl
26-03-10, 17:02
Thanks jo..glad u have got through and like u said the side effects r preety nasty, i think i find the panic attacks worse than anything else but i am only on day 8 so hopefully i will feel the benefits soon. Thanks for the advice and support luv ann x

country girl
05-04-10, 17:31
This is day 18 for me of being on 10mg citalopram and i cant see a light at the end of the tunnel...the anxiety and panic on top of the normal side effects are so hard to cope with and dark thoughts are getting harder to deal with. Should i carry on or is the fact that i am still suffering showing me that these are'nt the right tabs for me or have i just not given them time enough to do their job. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.:shrug:

Jannie2948
05-04-10, 17:51
Hi country girl, I too felt like you when I first went on to Citalopram. I started on 20mg and found it quite difficult for the first 6 weeks. I had 2mg of diazapam to get me through the day, I was told to take them 3 times a day as and when needed. I found like Jo said that I needed one first thing in the morning to get me on the train for work and then I used to take one at lunch time that got me through the afternoon. Once I was home I was fine. After about 3 months my Dr increased my dosage to 40mg and am doing much better, just not quite there yet. Don't feel worried about taking the diazapam because you won't become addicted, my Dr gives them to me as and when I need them and I've not had to have that many and now very rarely have to take any.

I hope you stay with it, but if you find that you are not feeling better have a word with your Dr and see if he thinks you need to up the dosage, my Dr told me that 40mg was the best dosage for treating anxiety. Not sure what you are taking them for but please don't worry, and as I said, speak to your Dr and I am sure his advice will help you to get through this bad time.

I wish you all the very best.

Jannie x x

JT69
05-04-10, 18:00
Hi Ann,

The citalopram can sometimes take 4-6 weeks before getting into your system, but as you are on such a low dose and are feeling as bad as you say you are I would perhaps make an appointment and discuss with your GP. In my own personal experience i have usually started to feel the difference in a couple of weeks but alot of people on here take citalopram and all differ. My GP told me 10mg was a very low dose and 20mg is a more thereputic one, even though I always started off on 10mg as I suffered such an increase in anxiety when first taking them.

It is a hard one to advise you on but definately 18 days is still early days, the fact that you say some of the feelings are getting worse is what prompted me to advise you speak to your GP.

Hope that helps and I havent confused you further, its a difficult one to call hun.

I hope you feel better soon, I know how you are feeling and it is not nice at all.

Take care and let me know how you get on.

Jo.xx

RichW
07-04-10, 05:25
This is day 18 for me of being on 10mg citalopram and i cant see a light at the end of the tunnel...the anxiety and panic on top of the normal side effects are so hard to cope with and dark thoughts are getting harder to deal with. Should i carry on or is the fact that i am still suffering showing me that these are'nt the right tabs for me or have i just not given them time enough to do their job. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.:shrug:

Hi Country Girl

Do not despair or lose hope. It took over 3 weeks for my side effects to settle down, in my fact my first normal-ish day was day 28 (20mg)! A lot of folks here have all said to give it 4 - 6 weeks to start to notice the effects. My mind chatter has certainly decreased and I can now focus on doing tasks and having conversations - I also don't have a problem driving anywhere or eating out anymore. I am however, still feeling depersonalized (I am dealing with this a lot better now and don't fret about it so much) and find I can only give my attention to one thing at a time (if somebody says something to me while I'm watching T.V. it takes me a while to respond to them because I'm just so engrossed in what is going on on the T.V.). I have been back at work for almost 4 weeks and heard yesterday that I might be made redundant. I've had a bit of a wobbly today felling depro etc. but still have hope - it is only day 34 after all.

Personally, I've found getting sleep helps recovery. I tried Zopiclone and Ativan for sleep but couldn't handle the hangover along with the Citalopram side effects. I would highly recommend Atarax / Vistaril which is an antihistamine (pharma name = Hydroxyzine) and is used as a pre and post op sedative as well as tool for combatting Generalised Anxiety Disorder - please research this, it is very interesting. My sleep has been much better since taking this medication and find that on some nights I only need half the dose (as little as 12.5mg) to get a full night's sleep. The really good thing is that it is not physically addictive - I was really worried about that with the Zopiclone and Ativan.

Still not with it but getting closer to being so...

Take care of you

Rich

Danath
07-04-10, 05:59
eya hbe careful they get addictive, my doctor wont even prescribe them except under extreme duress.

GlasgowGuy
20-08-10, 22:10
I'm in exact same boat. Started on 10mg of Cit and told my GP my history of starting on A/d's aint good. He prescribed intially taking 4 x 5mg Diaz a day. I only took 3 a day. Was put up to 20mg of Cit. Told GP my fears about becoming addicted to Diaz. When I spoke with him on Tue advised trying to cut down to two Diaz. I've now been on 20mg cit since a week past on Monday. I know should settle in time and have the same concerns about Diaz as everyone else does. Been told in past by a CPN i don't have an addictive personallity and not to worry.

I hope all going well and I'm sure things will settle down

demi2111
31-07-12, 19:57
Hi all..ive sufferd from panic disorder and servere anxiety for 11yrs now due to post natal depression and other stressful times prem baby,abusive relationship...i tried a anti depressant called zoroxac (not sure spelling is correct) and had real bad side effects so all these years ive tried to cope without and have just had 2mg diazepam as a safty net! i take it and when needed but suffer with agraphobia as i avoid doing alot of thing to prevent the panic attacks ect....today i have been given citalopram 10mg BUT am soooo scared of taking them..does everyone suffer side effects? :wacko:

lauz_lea
31-07-12, 21:23
Hi Demi, it might be worth starting a new thread in the Cit section, but I started cit fairly recently, started on 10mg, and had very few side effects. I was also prescribed 80mg slow release propanolol which has helped hugely with any physical effects that may have come my way.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress or concerns.

MKmind
22-01-15, 19:22
I've now been on cit 20mg for 4 weeks, i have been having some very strange side effects (which i didnt get when i was last on them 2years ago) i have been shaking uncontrolably and really bad chest pains aswell as pain in the back of my neck. (also u have not had an errection for 2 weeks which is really unusual) so my doc has told me to start taking 40mg a day instead & 2mg of diazapam and it really is working. I take the diazapam in the morning and again in the afternoon. Im now on day 4 of 40mg and i already feel better. I understand that i will have some more bad day but at the moment im ok.

Gary aka Mkmind - milton keynes, ENG

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Hi all..ive sufferd from panic disorder and servere anxiety for 11yrs now due to post natal depression and other stressful times prem baby,abusive relationship...i tried a anti depressant called zoroxac (not sure spelling is correct) and had real bad side effects so all these years ive tried to cope without and have just had 2mg diazepam as a safty net! i take it and when needed but suffer with agraphobia as i avoid doing alot of thing to prevent the panic attacks ect....today i have been given citalopram 10mg BUT am soooo scared of taking them..does everyone suffer side effects? :wacko:

Hi demi

yeah there are some side effects but they dont affect everyone, i personnaly would say take what the doc has perscribed. I also suffered from agrophobia after my nervous breakdown 2years ago but taking cit really did help. Im now on 40mg a day after an unforseen relapse 4 weeks ago. So far so good and im now having more good days then bad

gary aka Mkmind - milton keynes,ENG