PDA

View Full Version : skin cancer anxiety and hospital appointment

Rosanna
01-11-19, 23:35
Hi everyone

I've gone into full on health anxiety mode. I got some moles checked at a clinic, one photo was taken and sent off to a dermatologist and now
there's a message on my phone saying my GP has arranged a hospital appointment this coming week.

I spoke to my GP and they said they thought it was unlikely to be anything to worry about but good to check and that urgent referrals are
standard for this sort of thing.

Anyone know what to expect at a Dermatology hospital appointment? Anyone had unusual looking moles that turned out ok? Anyone had melanoma
diagnosed but had a good experience with treatment?

Back to the breathing and meditation for now. :scared15:

Rosanna
02-11-19, 00:57
Also, I read somewhere that if you get a phone call to tell you of your appointment, it's more serious. Well I got a 'courtesy call' on my answer phone and a letter to follow.

(no, haven't meditated yet...)

lofwyr
02-11-19, 15:23
I cant speak for the British NHS or anything, but none of that holds true in the American system.

We get phone call reminders for every appointment as a matter of routine.

And for results of biopsies I have been notified by phone every time, benign 4 times, basal cell once, and AKs the last.

I have a TON of moles, none of them melanoma so far, but a few dodgy ones that were checked.

Rosanna
03-11-19, 20:12
Thanks Iofwyr

I was getting phone calls all the way through, but I missed a couple of appointments due to some horrendously stressful family events. I called them back to
apologise and the lady said 'well you're not marked as urgent so don't worry' and she gave me an appointment for a few weeks away.

I attended that appointment, had a special photo taken, told it will be sent to a dermatologist for triage. Another horrendous family event followed and the next day
a letter lands on my mat offering an urgent appointment for this week. My GP then told me that urgent appointments are often offered, she thinks theres a good chance everything is ok and I've read online that we have a 2 week guideline for anything not completely, obviously benign.

But after the family problems I've been having, and I ran out of emotional reserve back in February, not coping brilliantly.