PDA

View Full Version : Cold with a rash??

UserName20
03-11-19, 15:03
Hey guys. Friday I began noticing that I had a sore throat which is usually how all of my colds start out. And everyone around me seems to be getting sick. Then it turned into a runny/stuffy nose and although my throat feels better I still feel miserable with a stuffy head/nose. I was showering today when I noticed a red rash along the top of my chest. I showed my Mother it ( I’m clearly freaked out ) and she told me it’s fine and to just wait it out and see if it’s there tomorrow. My mind is going a hundred miles an hour about what this could be. I want to go to urgent care but my parents think it’s a waste

nomorepanic
03-11-19, 15:17
I agree it is a waste - wait it out and see.

Careful1
03-11-19, 16:45
I'm sure your parents know best.

I personally like to wait and see when it comes to rashes because most of the time they are gone as fast as they appeared... Have you used anything new? Washing powder, soap, lotion, perfume etc?

UserName20
03-11-19, 20:36
Thank you both for your responses. After my initial freak out I kind of was able to take a step back and realize that it’s not something that’s an emergency. I am confident enough that the illness itself is nothing but a cold. It is really making me so tired and drained and is quite honestly kicking my butt. The rash on my chest does really scare me but it’s not like it’s huge or spreading or anything. I put on a sweatshirt so I would stop running to the bathroom to look at it every 5 minutes.

Carys
03-11-19, 21:30
I don't know how old you are, but there is a condition that affects children and younger adults called 'Pityriasis rosea' - it often follows closely a viral infection and the rash begins on the trunk of the body/chest (it starts with one or two patches that are quite large and then becomes lots of smaller spreading spots. I'm not a doctor, but I once had it myself at around 20 years old after a really sore throat it freaked me out at the time particularly as within 24 hours my torso was covered. Dashed to doctor, 'totally non-sinister, nothing needed to treat it, itll go on its own' situation. Now, of course it might not be that, but I just wanted you to know that some rashes are nothing to worry about. Of course if you feel its more than a 'cold' you are experiencing and something isn't right with your health then thats a different matter, but don't panic as it could literally be a response to the cold.
pityriasis rosea