PDA

View Full Version : Filling removed - amalgam

RyanM1994
04-11-19, 17:51
Hi,

So I'm having a bit of a panic.

Been through a lot the past few days but long story short. I have an abscess at the moment.
My dentist drilled it out earlier but I had a MASSIVE amalgam filling in that tooth.

He drilled a big part of it out before I remembered and asked for a rubber dam.
Got home and noticed a few specs from it on my gums.

Now I'm having a massive panic attack about Mercury poisoning and I have no idea how much I have swallowed.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

RyanM1994
04-11-19, 17:54
I haven't googled Mercury poisoning and I wont dare to!

Just know it's a thing and been linked to Amalgam fillings.

unsure_about_this
04-11-19, 19:47
I broken a filling years ago, and swallow it,

I am still here.

BikerMatt
04-11-19, 19:55
It's all BULL Ryan. Dentists have used it and worked with it for years and I'm sure many of us remember having bits of Mercury in our mouths after having amalgam fillings done.

I had a big one replaced not long ago without a dam whilst it was being drilled out I could feel it going everywhere in my mouth.

The other BULL thing I've seen about this is the vapours it gives off whilst dentist are drilling amalgam out but dentist do it probably everyday and they're all OK.

ErinKC
04-11-19, 20:21
I googled it for you. There have been numerous studies and none of them have found any meaningful risk. Also, apparently, mercury does not collect in the body. It takes about 55 days to clear our of your system, per the National Institutes of Health. I, too, totally remember the tiny pieces of filling in my mouth while getting them as a kid.

NancyW
05-11-19, 21:57
We'd ALL have mercury poisoning if that were the case Ryan...

I have never heard of anyone with mercury poisoning in my life, have you?

Sparky16
06-11-19, 03:22
Mercury in amalgam fillings? What is this, the 1980s again?

I had a regular checkup the day after 60 minutes did that special on amalgam fillings and mercury when I was a teenager. My dentist was at wit's end. He said his phone was ringing off the hook with worried parents who wanted to know if they should have their children's fillings replaced. This is an interesting article about how it all happened.

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

RyanM1994
07-11-19, 08:48
Morning,
Thanks for your help everyone, just remember reading or hearing it somewhere and my mind latched onto it.
My dentist must have thought I was a right fool when I mentioned it lol

Pamplemousse
07-11-19, 10:48
Mercury in amalgam fillings? What is this, the 1980s again?

I had a regular checkup the day after 60 minutes did that special on amalgam fillings and mercury when I was a teenager. My dentist was at wit's end. He said his phone was ringing off the hook with worried parents who wanted to know if they should have their children's fillings replaced. This is an interesting article about how it all happened.

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

That looks a useful website, albeit one that needs updating.