PDA

View Full Version : Irritability?

Lakme
05-11-19, 08:07
I’m not too worried about this, I just wanted to gather proper information from a mostly informed community of people. My anxiety hasn’t been bad lately, but I’ve realized within the past couple weeks that I have a pretty bad chronic congestion problem. I’m sort of reluctant to visit an ENT but anyways...

I started using a nasal decongestant a couple weeks ago, but you can only use those for about three days, so I had to switch to Flonase. While on Flonase I’ve been able to breathe, but I’ve also felt like perhaps I’m a little bit more irritable/anxious than normal. The reason this worries me is because Flonase is a stimulant/corticosteroid (some stimulants are known to trigger episodes of mental illness in susceptible people, particularly amphetamines), my mother has bipolar/schizophrenia and I’m concerned as to whether my perceived irritability could be hypomania, while I acknowledge that it could just be my anxiety. I haven’t observed very much in the medical literature on this, but I’m considering discontinuing the medication because of the fact.

Some input would be helpful/reassuring. Thank you.

HalfJack
05-11-19, 10:16
I'm no expert, but personally I'm surprised you've not found anything written about it, irritability is definitely part of anxiety for a lot of people. Although that doesn't mean the other medication isn't causing some issues too. Is there a list of side effects available for you to consult?

Personally I don't struggle with irritability but I'm certainly a little more irritable when anxious and many of my friends with anxiety have struggled with irritability in a big way (largely how it impacts their relationships at home). Perhaps it's not written about much because its not a symptom of anxiety so much as a bi-product to being 'on edge' or distressed for a prolonged amount if time?
Hope you're feeling better x