PDA

View Full Version : Fell off the wagon (liver now!!)

RadioGaGa
05-11-19, 10:52
I’d been doing so well. I haven’t worried about brain tumours in about 9 months now. I’m also currently being investigated for a problem with my circulation and even this has taken a back seat. I’ve been told there’s definitely a problem but what’s causing it is not known but it can be treated.

Anyway, two times this year I’ve vomited blood after binge drinking. The first in May and the second time in August. It was only on the second occasion I went to A&E. they ran bloods and everything was fine. Doctor thought stomach ulcer so increased Lansopeazole.

BUT, vomiting blood can be a sign of cirrhosis. This is because cirrhosis makes blood flow poorly through the liver, causing the veins in your gullet to dilate (basically varicose veins in gullet) and when they burst, it’s very serious. Most people die from them bursting! Along with this, Ascites form (stomach looks like you’re pregnant).

my LFTs were normal in A&E so liver didn’t cross their mind.

but as time went on, I began to worry about it. And, a couple of weeks after I developed I mild pain in my liver area. I then focused on it, and then I thought my alcohol tolerance has decreased slightly. Another bad sign!

So last night I made an appointment with the practice nurse, on the ruse I wanted a sexual health check. I then told her I required LFTs from ages ago so was ‘killing two birds with one stone’.

Now I’m worried my LFTs will come back abnormal and this will have been cirrhosis all along.

needed to vent! Has anyone had the same?

Shadowhawk
05-11-19, 18:17
So, i completely understand how you feel, as i too have shared the liver worries (from weight, not alc, but same issue). Thus, i feel like i can share some thoughts..

If they have run a full LFT (liver function test), they will pretty much know the general status of your liver. When one has reached cirrhosis, it will be pretty obvious on your blood work, as several things will start moving out of range (AST, ALT, GGP, platelets, etc). This will be ESPECIALLY true if you are actually having ascites due to complications. In short, if the hospital thought you were even at risk of being in that stage, you would have been admitted (because as you note, it is life threatening). Liver failure really isn't something that will just sneak up on you, and you would be showing a host of other symptoms as well (beyond just the occasional vomiting).

Beyond that, URQ pain can be lots of things (and is commonly not the liver; problems are more common with the gallbladder, which can be forming stones, etc). It even could be IBS, as the colon does go up and traverse across (and that bend is notorious for causing problems). Or you could be like me, and having rib tip pain, which also is right there OVER the liver/gallbladder).

Now, i won't speculate as to what IS causing the blood, but the suspicion of an aggravated ulcer certainly a valid thought. I won't be surprised if even just the act OF vomiting hurts the throat enough that you cause bleeding (i know this has happened to me, and have had it checked out).

I completely understand the concern, and i know how troubling it is. You aren't alone in your fears, and i completely understand how bad it is. Feel free to hit me up any time you need to talk or vent; and i am sure you will be fine. :)

RadioGaGa
05-11-19, 19:06
It’s always good to hear about people worrying about the same thing.
I’m obviously trying to be logical about it all but my mind has just done a runner over this one

I feel the pain is probably psychosomatic along with the ‘reduced’ tolerance because they only appeared a few weeks after I began worrying about cirrhosis

and I’m disappointed I went to the practice nurse on the ruse that I wanted an STI check, when main motive was LFTs

i have no signs of Ascites thankfully haha so again that makes portal hypertension causing the bleeding very unlikely

ugh. I thought I’d beaten the anxiety. Should have results tomorrow

Shadowhawk
05-11-19, 19:48
We really are excellent at creating symptoms when we expect to have them, logic be damned.

But I truly understand the worry; in my case, I DID have elevated markers.. the anxiety of them made worse by a gastrointestinal doctor who wanted to do a biopsy despite other doctors not nearly as concerned. Following those doctors advice, I got on a kero diet, lost a ton of weight, and my numbers are good again .

I won't lecture you on drinking, but I will be honest and say that I think it is only making your anxiety worse, for this reason and beyond. I know it isn't easy, but I should encourage you to find alternatives, for both your health and mood. We are always here for you!

Careful1
06-11-19, 00:25
In reference to the vomiting of the blood caused by liver disease its called "varices" and yes veins rupture in your esophagus or stomach and its caused by portal hypertension. Its a medical emergency, a lot don't survive if they don't get help fast enough.. but if you had liver disease so far advanced that you would have these, you would certainly know it and it wouldn't be your first clue either. Seems like you know a little about liver disease and since that's the case, deep down you know you don't have it and that it's just your anxiety putting ideas into your head.

You are okay...