PDA

View Full Version : Painful spot on jawline. Worried about needing a root canal

anxious_thoughts
06-11-19, 03:29
Hi everyone,

Around 5 years ago I had a very deep cavity. My dentist fixed it but he said if it continued to hurt to come back because I might need a root canal. It really didn’t bother me that much from then.

Last week I was with some of my friends and we started talking about root canals and how people have died from not getting one and the infection spreading to other places in your body. Since then I’ve been hyper aware of this tooth. I have noticed it’s a little sensitive but I can eat on it and there are no sores or swelling on the gums. What hurts the most is right where the tooth is on my jaw line. If I press on it it feels very sore.

I know I should see a dentist. But I’m so scared of having this procedure done. I hate how far back they put the chair and how long it takes. The whole thing makes me so anxious. I also worry that I waited too long. But there is no swelling. Ugh I hate dentist stuff!

bin tenn
06-11-19, 03:39
You're fine, and you'll be fine if you get a root canal. I've had a handful of dental infections and several root canals. I've also admittedly had one or two abscesses that I left untreated, to resolve on their own. Still here. Of course you've heard horror stories of untreated infections leading to death; we all have. That doesn't mean it's the norm. Go to the dentist and get the root canal done. It shouldn't take long, and you'll feel much better in the long run.

ErinKC
08-11-19, 03:31
You will know when you need a root canal. The pain is very obvious and very bad. I've had a root canal and my tooth was literally throbbing when I finally went to the dentist. I also have another tooth that will probably need one and my dentist said when it hurts so much it wakes me up at night that's when I'll know.

I get a weird tender spot on my jaw sometimes. It's not all the time and I have no idea what makes it occur, but it's happened for year.