PDA

View Full Version : Hypercalcemia

Capercrohnj
09-11-19, 03:32
Hi everyone. I mostly lurk. I guess I should mention my health issues before asking about hypercalcemia. I have Crohn's disease and an ileostomy (colon and rectum removed, Barbie Butt), and gastroparesis with a j tube. I am chronically dehydrated as not having a colon increases your fluid requirements a lot and I can't drink a lot by mouth.

For at least the last year (might be longer, my old GP never called about bloodwork) my blood calcium levels have been high. Some others are high on and off because of the dehydration (I'm weird my electrolytes go up when dehydrated not down). My urinalysis always shows high concentration (so dehydration). I also have tachycardia and low blood pressure all thought to be from dehydration.

I know dehydration can cause hypercalcemia but the list of other causes is pretty scary. I do have an unidentified mass in my pelvis (maybe gone but idk) that showed up in multiple abdominal ct scans and ultrasound but they didn't see it during my last one. You all know how anxiety works. It makes me think the ultrasound technician was looking in the wrong spot or missed it urgh.

How do I convince myself it must be from dehydration not the scary things? I should know better. My dehydration is obvious just by looking at me.

Sparky16
10-11-19, 05:00
What does your current doctor say about the the calcium levels? Does he or she say it is the dehydration?

I had a family friend who had high calcium levels, and it turned out she had a benign parathyroid tumor, which was removed. Apparently these are not uncommon. It's something else to consider.