PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety treatment - escitalopram vs citalopram

bigmo
10-11-19, 09:12
I'm been reading that escitalopram is better dealing with anxiety than citalopram but escitalopram costs the NHS around £25 per month compared to around £1 per month for citalopram.

Is a GP likely to prescribed escitalopram or only if citalopram fails to work?

(escitalopram seems to have less side effects and is quicker to start working)

Mrsmitchell1984
10-11-19, 09:32
I know someone who takes escitalopram-I’ll ask them. But I think it’s worth saying you’d like to try escitalopram. I am on fluoxetine and I think that is more expensive than citalopram- but I asked for it and it has been successful before so they were ok prescribing that.

Mrsmitchell1984
10-11-19, 10:14
I spoke to my friend and she said it was he doc that suggested it-but she had tried everything else and it gradually wore off. So escitalopram was the only one left to try x

AntsyVee
10-11-19, 18:11
Both drugs use the same active ingredient. There isn't much of a difference between them is that citalopram blocks some histamine receptors and escitalopram doesn't. For some people, it can make a big difference, for others, both are equally effective. Both are the most selective SSRIs out there. By selective it means the serotonin inhibitors that they target in the brain.

If you want a better explanation that what I can give you (I'm not a biology major) ask Panic Down Under in the meds section.

Fishmanpa
10-11-19, 18:52
Take a look in the Medication sub-forum. (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?7-Medication) There's a lot of useful information and member experiences.

Positive thoughts