PDA

View Full Version : Might get fired...

.Poppy.
13-11-19, 17:37
I currently work two jobs: one during the day at a university and another evenings/weekends as a food delivery driver. Thankfully, my university job is safe (thank goodness) but my delivery position is in jeopardy. Long story short, Monday I ordered food to be delivered to me via this service. The food was never delivered, nor was it attempted to be - I was standing looking out my front door the entire time because I have to rush to put my dog away when someone comes to my house.

Understandably, I was upset as I feel like I put in 100% effort on the job and it really sucks that essentially someone stole my lunch. I was refunded, but still, so I contacted the company via DM on Twitter because there was no other way to really go about it as their customer relations avenues are extremely limited.

Anyway, I was told yesterday that I am suspended while they review the case and they've cleared out all of my shifts for this week, which sucks majorly because I was working a lot this week and really do need the money. My direct manager isn't back until tomorrow and will maybe get in touch with me then (I've been told) but I'm on pins and needles over this and I just want to know if I need to start looking for another job now.

They claimed that I "violated social media policy" but I read the handbook and I did NOT violate the policy, which is based mostly around not revealing customer information and not posting inside company information. I merely expressed my displeasure with the service I received.

Anyway, I just don't know what to do and I'm terrified. I can probably scrape by a bit until I find another job - thankfully delivery jobs aren't hard to find - but I've never been fired before and on top of that I feel like this is incredibly unjust. I really want to like email HR or something but I don't know if that's jumping the gun. I'd also like to know what they think ASAP so I can either apply for new jobs or know if I'm going to be working any of my shifts this week. :scared15:

Mrsmitchell1984
13-11-19, 18:10
Argh- how ridiculous is that. It’s awful that you didn’t get your shopping. But - you have checked the contract and know your rights- so that is good. You can also contact the local CAB for a bit of free telephone advice if that helps too.

it’s the old age saying - worrying about it now won’t help you - but that is easier said than done. If you can distract yourself with a film/ rubbish gossipy tv or something else- that’ll be good but I know the wait is agonising.

Also, I think keeping in mind that if the worst happens- you can get a new job. Have you got your cv prepared for the new job etc. That will help if they do anything that upsets you. X

BlueIris
13-11-19, 18:13
I'm so sorry; this is tremendously unfair of them. I hope it all turns out to be a misunderstanding.

.Poppy.
14-11-19, 16:27
Thank you. I still haven't heard anything and the waiting is absolute torture.

Would it be unprofessional to message my supervisor and ask her which way she thinks this is going to go so that I can apply for different jobs if I need to? I really don't want to be stressed over this for a week or potentially longer, and if I'm going to get fired anyway I might as well just start a new job soon.

BlueIris
14-11-19, 16:31
I don't think it would be unprofessional, no, especially not if you get on reasonably well in the normal run of things.

.Poppy.
14-11-19, 17:18
Thank you. :) I'll now have to figure out what kind of message to send to her.

I hate myself right now. I should have just kept my mouth shut.

SarahNah
14-11-19, 19:12
Oh no, please don't say you hate yourself for this! You had the right to do what you did. They are really over reacting to this in my opinion. I can understand, I worked in a hotel once and my Mam attended a wedding there and it was run shockingly back by the new events manger. When they catch wind my Mam did have 100 percent nice things to say about the place they kept cutting back my hours until I left the job. Some people can be very unlike- sorry for ranting but I'm sending positive thoughts your way xx

Dying_Swan
14-11-19, 19:33
Don't hate yourself. From what you've said, you've done nothing wrong. You were a customer and surely you have every right to give feedback as a customer? As it was done by DM, I don't understand what their problem is. If you'd been slating the company all over social media I'd understand, but contacting the company privately as a paying customer who didn't receive what you'd paid for? I really don't think it's your fault. I hope you get it sorted soon.

.Poppy.
14-11-19, 20:09
Thanks, all. I contacted my manager, who was gone at the time but is back now, and she said that it's basically in the hands of HR. They'll let me know something by the end of the day, so I'm struggling to make it through the afternoon.

She did sent me a message asking what happened to try to understand - like why didn't I contact customer service (their chat/email feature was down, which I told her) or why didn't I just message her (didn't really think her involvement was necessary since I was acting as a customer). I told her that the only way I could get in touch with the company was via social media and I did it discreetly, I just wanted them to know that I was upset because I know what channels they are supposed to go to if, as a driver, they can't make contact with the customer - and I follow those rules so I was upset that it is okay for someone else not to.

Anyway, I appreciate the support. Currently scared stiff.

EDIT: Well thankfully my manager is understanding. I basically got a warning, even though HR determined I didn't violate any terms, I still got the warning and they're going to "try to get me back on the schedule" which means 2 weeks of no pay, basically. Better than being fired though I guess!

Mrsmitchell1984
15-11-19, 05:56
Who decided you got a warning? If HR said you did nothing wrong?? But I am pleased to see that the matter is pretty much resolved x

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-19, 01:51
So, reading between the lines some overzealous management type tried to give you some shit but HR found you had done nothing wrong therefore to protect the comoany and not make themselves look like the fools they are they decided to not give a penalty but put on your record they were right and you were wrong :doh:

Sounds quite typical of petty management to me.

Social media policy is stop employees doing things that bring the company into disrepute e.g. trashing your employer online, joining causes that could associate the company in bad company (like sites that encourage hatred), saying things that are illegal or could be construed as offensive ("I love Trump", for instance :winks:).

I'm sorry you had to go through this, Poppy. I've been through silly pettiness like this where I didn't get on with a line manager. I can remember one visiting me trying to check I was actually off sick (it was day 2 after having no sickness in 2 years!) and he tried to say I wasn't in because I didn't answer the door. I said I was so why would I be answering the door to cold callers if I didn't feel like it. He then tried to confirm it was the right house by describing the front of my house. My answer was "that just proves you have driven past my house and not that you were even there on the day in question". We didn't get on and he was being petty. I got a warning.

They do this to feel in charge. You have the right to challenge the decision but they hope by not adding a penalty you let it slide.

Mrsmitchell1984
18-11-19, 07:22
Wow some employers are shocking! It’s completely wrong what they are doing and they just care about their own reputation and can’t admit they were wrong.

just be glad that you are not these people - what a life they must have ��

.Poppy.
19-11-19, 14:55
Ah, thanks all. Yes, it's crap but at least I can keep the job - for now I need the money. I was more upset that I missed out on a week of work - and it could have been two if I hadn't found a few shifts to pick up for this week.

Either way, I won't be ordering from them again and I won't recommend that anyone else do either. I just won't say so "publicly" :D

Scass
19-11-19, 17:59
I’m sorry that all happened, it’s pretty shocking really. Are you on a zero hour contract because I’m not sure that they should suspend you without pay. Did you get a 1st warning?

You could always ask ACAS for advice if you want, or if something else happens.

I suppose they didn’t deal with your complaint either....

lebonvin
24-11-19, 02:00
The world of work suck a rat's ass in English speaking countries where you'd expect some kinda degree of rights and protection. UK has adopted all the bad practices of our great country and I'm guessing same in Oz and NZ

The best way to deal with a bullying boss is

Smile and then ignore his or her orders, or

Give him verbal shit back in front of other work colleagues if possible. You will find youusself a very popular dude.

A bully is a bully don't matter whethers at school or work or hospital. So I'll repeat

GIVE EM SHIT BACK

Very unlikely you'll get canned coz then the bully starts worrying what yous might do to them!

This is a true story. Boss was a man, employee was a woman. It helps if yous a woman or minority if boss is white mail

Can't remember what boss said but this plucky lady replied

"Shut the **** up you stupid ******* your a crap manager and your staff hate you so get on with your work and leave us good folk alone or I'll take it higher"

When I quit she was still workin - and what's more, got on very well with the a4said boss

lebonvin
24-11-19, 03:21
Wow some employers are shocking! It’s completely wrong what they are doing and they just care about their own reputation and can’t admit they were wrong.

just be glad that you are not these people - what a life they must have ��

You got it Sally! I'd just change some employers to most employers awful as it sounds

I guess much depends on what kinda organization your working for but you gotta ask yousself why that particular person is boss? Promoted on merit? Gitouttavit!

To be a good boss these days you gotta show sociopath behavior i.e. very selfish and not give a shit about others, no empathy. It's a system what reinforces itself, the top boss chooses some one like himself. Then there's the employee you thought was a nice guy who gets promoted then treats his ex colleagues like shit. That's because said person is a good actor.

I go back to it. Don't let any boss get yous down.
Even psychopaths get anxiety. Play on it. Act like yous the boss and they the employee.

The most difficult folk to deal with tho is a colleague who is on good terms with the boss who is basically a spy who needs putting down. Ignoring their ass may be the best answer, not confrontational.

My ma was a good lady and brought her children up well. She told me before I started junior high to keep stumm at first, don't go try make friends with everyone, observe first and decide who is the good guys. That advice served me good. Folk what don't know me think Im quiet lol

The army is a bit different, you gotta obey orders whether yous agree or not. But I'd say most commanding officers knows the risk of mistreating. It's all a game anyways.

lebonvin
24-11-19, 05:25
Forgot to mention, for anxiety

read the Sticky shred above
read self help books
read the Bible or any religious book

.Poppy.
03-12-19, 14:36
I’m sorry that all happened, it’s pretty shocking really. Are you on a zero hour contract because I’m not sure that they should suspend you without pay. Did you get a 1st warning?

You could always ask ACAS for advice if you want, or if something else happens.

I suppose they didn’t deal with your complaint either....

Oh of course not.

It's a weird setup because my bosses are located in Wisconsin and I'm located in Kansas - I've never met anyone face to face. I'm also not on any specific hourly contract - I just put in the times I'm available to work week by week and they schedule me when they can. Sometimes there are also open shifts I can pick up. I was technically "suspended without pay" because they took away all of the shifts I was scheduled while they "investigated" and then those were picked up by other drivers so weren't available when I was cleared.

It's a mess. But as a side hustle to make ends meet it's not so bad. Pretty flexible and the pay is decent.

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-19, 17:44
Oh of course not.

It's a weird setup because my bosses are located in Wisconsin and I'm located in Kansas - I've never met anyone face to face. I'm also not on any specific hourly contract - I just put in the times I'm available to work week by week and they schedule me when they can. Sometimes there are also open shifts I can pick up. I was technically "suspended without pay" because they took away all of the shifts I was scheduled while they "investigated" and then those were picked up by other drivers so weren't available when I was cleared.

It's a mess. But as a side hustle to make ends meet it's not so bad. Pretty flexible and the pay is decent.

Gig economy. What we call zero hours contracts over here. A boon to employers who don't want to have employees so call you at the drop of a hat and expect you to do more or your shifts dry up. It's a notoriously unpopular issue here and dominates the health care sector for home help.