PDA

View Full Version : Reading suggestions please

jude
23-01-05, 12:40
Hello everyone
I wondered if anyone can suggest a book I can read about anxiety. There is so many to chose from Im lost!
I need it to tell me about depersonalisation because that is my worst symptom.
Any ideas please?

Thanks

Jude

mico
23-01-05, 13:01
Hi Jude

I agree that it's often good to read up on the subject. I'm not sure if I can help you with depersonalisation though. I've probably came across little bits here and there, but I can't remember exactly where now.

A good book I did read, was 'Feel the Fear and do it Anyway' by Susan Jeffers. It covers a few things (sorry, no depersonalisation), but isn't nesecarilly just intended for anxiety sufferers, although it covers similar kinds of topics. I think one of the things where this book helps, is that it stresses the importance of positive thinking, so I've always found it to be motivational, which is good.

If I think of any about depersonalisation, I'll get back to you.

mico

FAN
23-01-05, 13:28
i have read "feel the fear and do it anyway" too but i have to admit it was very hard going i kept losing the jist of what i should be thinking, it took me ages to wade through it there must be easier ones i think

fan x

mico
23-01-05, 14:54
Hi

I didn't find that book to bad, and I can really struggle to get through books sometimes. That's interesting - maybe certain people find certain books easier, or maybe I'm just weird [:P]. I quite liked it though, it always motivates me every time I read it.

mico

Meg
23-01-05, 17:03
If you haven't already read - 'self help for your nerves ' or any of the Claire Weekes books then thats where to start .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

jude
23-01-05, 17:34
Iv just ordered self help for your nerves from Amazon. Thanks for the advice. Il let you know how i get on with it.
Jude

nomorepanic
23-01-05, 17:59
Check out www.nomorepanic.co.uk/reading.htm

Nicola

vernon
23-01-05, 18:29
hi jade as meg said any clair weekes books are realy good. the last book i bought of her was the last she done its all her books in one, it has 400 pages but well broken and so easy to read. I read a little each night and foiund it hellped me lots. CLARE WEEKES, ESSENTIAL HELP FOR YOUR NERVES I got it grom amizon for about £6. Take care Vernon

kt
23-01-05, 20:20
I too recommend "Essential Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes, I have read certain chapters over and over again, and have found this to be the best book. It has been my bible!!
Good luck, KT

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

theresa
30-01-05, 13:05
Apart from Clare Weekes I haven't found any books which describe what I'm feeling. The anxiety books describe panic attacks, phobias, OCD. Even Generalized Anxiety Disorder doesen't seem to describe my problem. I can't believe there's nothing else written besides the Clare Weekes books cos they're a bit old now. It does my head in trying to 'work out ' what sort of anxiety I have. I guess it's like a nervous breakdown where I've got 'stuck'. I think that my anxiety/fear is closely related to my depression but the anxiety bit has taken over.

Theresa

jude
06-02-05, 09:50
Hi all,

After reading self help for your nerves, I borrowed Essential help from the library. (took me a week to pluck up the courage toget to the library)[xx(]
I was so impressed with it that I ordered it the next day from Amazon. I am now highlighting all the bits that are important to me, so I can flip through and reassure myself when Im freaking out.
She was a very clever woman. I just hope I can follow through with her instructions now. It all sounds so simple.[8)]
Thanks everyone for the advice
Take care
Jude x