PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety affecting finances.

crazygal
24-11-19, 04:38
I've been suffering with HA since I was 18 years old. I am now 31. In these 13 years I've spent quite a lot of money on tests. My insurance rarely covers the cost because they're unwarranted test. So most of them are out of pocket.

Recently I have been getting a lot of blood test done because I've been having a lot of STD fears.

Yesterday I heard about someone getting Hep B and now I'm worried about getting because after checking my vaccine card, I realized I was never vaccinated for hep B. Now I'm freaking out and afraid I might have it. Mainly because a year ago I had unprotected sex with a middle eastern guy and I know it's common there.

So I now need to shell out money for yet another blood test. Where I live STD test aren't cheap. A whole STD panel is $350 dollars to get done.

Then last year I had ITP. So I also keep getting blood test to check my platelet levels. Even though my ITP is in full remission and my doctor says I only need to check every 6 months. I'll still check more often than that.

I also have a breast cancer fear. It's recommended for women my age to get an ultrasound every 2 years. But since HA brain thinks I know better than the experts I will go every 6 months or year to get the girls checked out. Those ultra sounds are also put of pocket cost because they were deemed unwarranted test.

Has HA affecting any of your finances, and ways have you've overcome spending so much on medical test?

ErinKC
24-11-19, 12:28
Medical bills were a problem for me in the past, though a bit less severe than you're describing, and what helped was going to see a therapist. But, two things:

If you grew up in the United States you had a Hep B vaccine or you wouldn't have been able to go to school. Also, breast ultrasounds are not recommended ever two years at your age. I'm 36 and have never had a breast ultrasound. Mammograms are recommended beginning at age 40.

crazygal
24-11-19, 17:55
Medical bills were a problem for me in the past, though a bit less severe than you're describing, and what helped was going to see a therapist. But, two things:

If you grew up in the United States you had a Hep B vaccine or you wouldn't have been able to go to school. Also, breast ultrasounds are not recommended ever two years at your age. I'm 36 and have never had a breast ultrasound. Mammograms are recommended beginning at age 40.

I remember reading the 2 years online ( I know I probably shouldn’t take the internet advice but getting an ultrasound comforts me)

Unfortunately I was homeschooled most of my life. And I moved overseas as a kid when I was 10. I checked my vaccination card and hepatitis b wasn’t on there. That’s why I’m freaking out.

Which means more money I’m going to be shelling out.

I went to a therapists for about month. I would have liked to have continued, but in the country I live in the cheapest therapist is $200 an hour and no insurance company covers therapy. They deem therapy as a luxury.

Fishmanpa
24-11-19, 18:30
no insurance company covers therapy. They deem therapy as a luxury.

That's 100% untrue. US Federal law requires insurance companies to treat mental and behavioral health and substance use disorder coverage equal to (or better than) medical/surgical coverage. That means that insurers must treat financial requirements equally. If your policy is lacking in that area, it would be in your best interest to investigate your options.

Positive thoughts

crazygal
24-11-19, 20:39
That's 100% untrue. US Federal law requires insurance companies to treat mental and behavioral health and substance use disorder coverage equal to (or better than) medical/surgical coverage. That means that insurers must treat financial requirements equally. If your policy is lacking in that area, it would be in your best interest to investigate your options.

Positive thoughts

I don’t live in the US. I’m currently living outside the US. Unfortunately the country I’m working in doesn’t give much care towards mental health.

utrocket09
24-11-19, 22:40
I also have a breast cancer fear. It's recommended for women my age to get an ultrasound every 2 years. But since HA brain thinks I know better than the experts I will go every 6 months or year to get the girls checked out. Those ultra sounds are also put of pocket cost because they were deemed unwarranted test.

This is also untrue. I am older than you and have only had 1 ultrasound and that was for a suspicious lump 12 years ago. They only do ultrasounds under 40 if there is a reason. There is no reason to get your breasts checked every 6 months, unless you have been told by a doctor to do so. Yearly clinical breast exams are plenty. At your age, you should be doing your own monthly exam.

I feel bad this is costing you money, but honestly you are asking for the expense when you ask for unreasonable tests.

Careful1
24-11-19, 23:08
At one point my health anxiety was so bad that if my dr ordered a CT scan or MRI and my insurance took to long to approve it, I paid for it out of pocket. I have spent thousands on needless testing even though my insurance would have eventually covered whatever it was, I just couldn’t wait. Afterward I would kick myself a bunch of times and feel guilty for a while knowing I could have put that money to better use and so I can totally relate.

lauren6
24-11-19, 23:23
You can try going on psychologytoday.com and click on "find a therapist". You put your if you have any, your zip code and they will list them and give you their profile. That's how I found mine. I don't know where you live but many states if not all have clinics that give STD tests for free. Have you checked that out? I have used them in the past. You can call an STD hotline and they will tell you where also. You shouldn't have to pay such a huge amount. Een if you are in a small town, it pays to go to the larger city and get this for free. Hope you can find a therapist also. Post if you have any questions. I feel badly for you that you're stuck but I think you can find someone reasonable that takes your policy.

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-19, 02:42
This is also untrue. I am older than you and have only had 1 ultrasound and that was for a suspicious lump 12 years ago. They only do ultrasounds under 40 if there is a reason. There is no reason to get your breasts checked every 6 months, unless you have been told by a doctor to do so. Yearly clinical breast exams are plenty. At your age, you should be doing your own monthly exam.

I feel bad this is costing you money, but honestly you are asking for the expense when you ask for unreasonable tests.

Our NHS say every 3 years once over 50 which highlights some differences in countries (OP is not in the US) but certainly not down to 31 as you say.

Aside from the direct costs OP there is also the indirect to consider such as impacts onto work by sick days, inability to gold down a job, etc.