PDA

View Full Version : Mothball health risk?

Bubbletea
25-11-19, 16:26
Hello just a background about my concern since this is my first time to using mothballs:

There is some sort of roach infestation going on with our building, so my mom decided to give me mothballs to place on my room as her way of warding off these pests including roaches.. I did follow the precautionary measures, especially the one where you should wash your hands after touching them, but I accidentally smelled the scent whenever I open my dresser (where I placed them) and my anxiety tells me its bad due to the number of results from google searches.

I just wanna know if anyone has experience the same thing with regards to mothballs and am I still good if I accidentally smelled them? (not too much of course)

Carys
25-11-19, 16:41
Hi,

I don't know very much about mothballs, as I'll be honest I didn't think people still used them or they even existed still. I know they won't deal with just any passing insect or 'roach' though, so its not going to do much regarding your Mum's concern. The smell can be pretty strong from memory, and certainly you don't want to be eating them as they are poisonous, but I'm not sure about the toxicity level of the fumes the chemical pesticide gives off ? People must have been accidentally smelling them forever, and I'm sure nobody has dropped dead from it but they are (as you say from googling) prone to causing irritation of eyes, throat and possibly headaches and things. ;o) I think, sorry to say this, but its a rather strange choice from your mother as it doesn't sound like you have a moth problem. Nowadays, if you have an issue with clothes moths there are better alternatives anyway - you can buy a bulk of cards impregnanted with moth pheremones that attracts the moths. OR, she could find out the exact infestation and how to repel them after taking advice. I can see why you'd not be too chuffed about having them in your clothes drawer !

I'm sure thats not helped much, maybe somebody else will know more ?