PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive checking - how to stop??

Elsa_Alkaseltzer
26-11-19, 13:17
I know we are all familiar with the torture of obsessive worrying. But who has experience with compulsive checking? Do you have any tips or success stories for getting over it? I lose so much time and energy now to compulsive checking. Since my latest symptom is bladder related, I check all day long for drops or signs of leakage. Which means a lot of time spent in the bathroom in a panic and away from enjoying life. I feel like it’s my responsibility to keep checking. To stay on top of things. To monitor. To figure things out. It occupies 90% of my mind space. Maybe more. Please share your experiences with compulsive checking. How do you stop? It must sound so simple ... just don’t do it. But you guys know sometimes that’s easier said than done. (FYI, I am trying to get in with an OCD therapist.)

Carys
26-11-19, 13:45
Oh yes, many of us, including myself have done this with health matters and environmental things. I've done both, and when it comes to both e.g. checking the iron is off for the 20th time, or the door is locked for the 10th time, or my heart rate is still at 120 bmp, I found reducing rather than trying to go cold turkey was helpful.

I'll use the iron as the example - I knew I needed to check and it would be way too stressful to not, so I allowed myself less each day and had a plan on the reduction I was going to stick to. Only check the iron 5 times, rather than 10, (only check my heart rate every hour).....you then reduce and reduce religiously each time you are faced with the checking scenario. So, next time I'm worried about the iron, only 3 times is allowed. Personally, I've only ever got down to 2 LOL so twice checking, and seem to have stuck there for many years. You have to be VERY firm with yourself, and know that you will feel some anxiety from not checking, but it is important that you don't allow yourself to give in. If necessary write on paper your reduction plan - day 1 check my bladder X times, day 3 - check y times, day 5 - check z times. You can make the reduction as slow as you like (withing reason lol) but you must stick to it with good old fashioned will power.

Another strategy to add in - is that on the final time of checking you are allowed (say check number 5)- you stand there staring at the iron and say out loud - 'I can trust myself and trust my own eyes, the iron is off (and really push yourself to look and believe)'. Then leave and thats it.

Elsa_Alkaseltzer
27-11-19, 02:43
Thank you so much; this is good advice!

Oh yes, many of us, including myself have done this with health matters and environmental things. I've done both, and when it comes to both e.g. checking the iron is off for the 20th time, or the door is locked for the 10th time, or my heart rate is still at 120 bmp, I found reducing rather than trying to go cold turkey was helpful.

I'll use the iron as the example - I knew I needed to check and it would be way too stressful to not, so I allowed myself less each day and had a plan on the reduction I was going to stick to. Only check the iron 5 times, rather than 10, (only check my heart rate every hour).....you then reduce and reduce religiously each time you are faced with the checking scenario. So, next time I'm worried about the iron, only 3 times is allowed. Personally, I've only ever got down to 2 LOL so twice checking, and seem to have stuck there for many years. You have to be VERY firm with yourself, and know that you will feel some anxiety from not checking, but it is important that you don't allow yourself to give in. If necessary write on paper your reduction plan - day 1 check my bladder X times, day 3 - check y times, day 5 - check z times. You can make the reduction as slow as you like (withing reason lol) but you must stick to it with good old fashioned will power.

Another strategy to add in - is that on the final time of checking you are allowed (say check number 5)- you stand there staring at the iron and say out loud - 'I can trust myself and trust my own eyes, the iron is off (and really push yourself to look and believe)'. Then leave and thats it.

MyNameIsTerry
27-11-19, 02:59
Touching and checking were some of the largest problems in my OCD when it started. They often combined with intrusive thoughts or other imagery when being performed so they had to be performed until "just right" and that might mean not just touch but odd or even and then in number multiples and often combined with a positive image to negate the other one.

I did much the same as Carys, it's the ERP method used in CBT and more successful per evidence than cold turkey methods of old.

First you need to document them as they would ask in therapy. There are worksheets for this. Then you commit yourself to reduction. This can mean volume or time spent in compulsion. If a step is too hard, break it down into a smaller one and see if it gets you there.

I found some were harder than others. Getting progress is something and harder ones may take more work or a different approach. For instance, I had a couple I just couldn't seem to cut down much so I switched to a longer hold of the item whilst telling myself that I was choosing to touch it therefore taking away the hold it had over me. This worked with them in time.

I also found Mindfulness helped for this too because you end up examining items within this and that means changing your relationship with what you are touching, why and how it makes you feel.

Nowadays I rarely do any of it. I might have a slight resurgence during a bad period but it's low key and maybe a few touches of a few items. Then I quickly compensate for this and stop it starting.

What you will find is that it is harder at first. As you progress it seems easier. And once you cut them down you will find the intensity of the anxiety cycles reduce with it because you are not feeding that cycle and your subconscious is changing it's core beliefs about this process. It takes time and lots of repetition though.

Once you cut down the checking you can then look at the obsession that remains. Much of it is about dismantling fear as you would any object, bit by bit.

Do you find conducting these compulsions just makes you feel more on edge? With OCD there is a simplistic formulaic explanation to how cycles work much as they explain themes in isolation. But in the real world themes combine and not everyone feels better for conducting compulsions. Being primarily a GADer the need to do this, which felt more like an urge I could not stop, just fed my other symptoms and made me feel more frustrated. I think this is often the case when your anxiety is more severe as nothing seems to work.

You can control it but it feels like you are not in control of your own actions. I can remember with some of mine if I felt someone was watching me (when out on my walks) I would avoid the compulsion because the embarrassment was greater than the need to complete it.

You might also find it interesting to understand about OCD and tics. My OCD fell well into Tic Related OCD. Don't start Googling this and thinking about things like Tourette's because OCD and tics are actually more common than we realise but there is so little information around that talks about it.