PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please...seeing a dr with health anxiety :(

MamaCass
27-11-19, 11:22
Any advice would be appreciated....
I desperately need to see a doctor about some stomach problems ive had for the past 4 weeks. I have gastritis, ibs but ive been highly stressed lately and with severe anxiety and i dont know if its the stress thats caused stomach problems or if its something serious this time. I have a huge fear of cancer and im worried if they ask me to have tests they come back with it so its stopping me from going. The trouble is i can only make appointments on Thursdays and then have to wait 2 weeks or so for an appointment and when i ring for an emergency appointment they tell me they are all gone. Im desperate and dont know what to do :(

BlueIris
27-11-19, 12:30
Alright, Cass, you have a choice here, and I do empathise with you because I suffer from a severe fear of doctors, tests and cancer myself.

I don't think for a second that you have cancer, but I do think that if you did (which you don't), ignoring it won't make it go away. I've been there, done that and neglected myself, but if the fear is making you desperate, you need to gird your loins, make the appointment and get things dealt with.

MamaCass
27-11-19, 17:22
Thankyou. Its like a massive barrier there for me and i hate the unknown. But i also dont want to know if that makes sense. I feel quite poorly but can never get in to see the dr who knows about my severe health anxiety. So one day rolls into the next :(

BlueIris
27-11-19, 17:32
Been there, done that. I think you just have to nerve yourself, though.

MamaCass
27-11-19, 17:50
I make up scenarios in my head like....
Its nearly Christmas and ive two young children. If anything bad comes back it will be ruined as I seriously couldnt cope.
Its an awful way to live and think!

MamaCass
27-11-19, 18:03
I make up scenarios in my head like....
Its nearly Christmas and ive two young children. If anything bad comes back it will be ruined as I seriously couldnt cope.
Its an awful way to live and think!