PDA

View Full Version : OCD Breast Checking

helenhoo
29-11-19, 22:20
Ever since 'someone I knows someone they know' had passed from breast cancer all I keep finding online are breast cancer stories in the news. I'm getting obsessive with checking again, for lumps which I can't feel. I keep looking at them for any changes, a few times a day. I know from previous encounters that prodding can cause inflamed lymph nodes.

Can you please direct me to any online links for OCD? I have tried to find some in old posts and haven't been able too

I'm on 4 month waiting list before I start face to face therapy.

helenhoo
29-11-19, 22:22
As mentioned in my closed thread I've had some breast ache prior to period and again now whilst on period.

nomorepanic
29-11-19, 22:25
Post moved once again to the correct forum!

Please post in correct forums. Thanks

Carys
29-11-19, 22:33
As mentioned in my closed thread I've had some breast ache prior to period and again now whilst on period.

As mentioned in that thread, everybody told you it was normal and hormonal - I even said I was surprised you've never had it before as I have before and during my period for my whole life. Go back and read the replies !

AntsyVee
30-11-19, 00:52
Helen/Rebecca, the admins here must have the patience of saints, because if I were an admin, I would've suspended you already.

YOUR BOOBS ARE NORMAL.
YOUR PERIOD IS NORMAL.
YOUR VAGINA IS NORMAL.

Your OCD is grasping at straws. Get some help woman. YOU WANT TO RAISE YOUR CHILD LIKE THIS?

AntsyVee
30-11-19, 00:56
https://cbt4panic.org/

MyNameIsTerry
30-11-19, 01:43
Links:

https://www.psychologytools.com/self-help/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/
https://www.psychologytools.com/downloads/books-chapters/?fwp_problem-disorder=anxiety

Quinn1
30-11-19, 10:11
Helen/Rebecca, the admins here must have the patience of saints, because if I were an admin, I would've suspended you already.

YOUR BOOBS ARE NORMAL.
YOUR PERIOD IS NORMAL.
YOUR VAGINA IS NORMAL.

Your OCD is grasping at straws. Get some help woman. YOU WANT TO RAISE YOUR CHILD LIKE THIS?

Onya Vee :yesyes:

helenhoo
30-11-19, 10:54
Thank you for the links.

Do yo ufind methods like diary keeping if symotos, triggers help? For example current worry: Boobs. Trigger: Read online and various articles Hiw I feel: need to check. What I do: Check.

I had this Breast OCD years ago and I got over it by distraction techniques

I also worry that once therapy starts and I get better, that something bad will happen.

helenhoo
30-11-19, 18:08
Just had moment of weakness and not sure if Mark on my breast is stretch marks from my last pregnancy (90% sure they are) or the dimpling symptom of breast cancer. It's purplish in colour.

nomorepanic
30-11-19, 18:19
Why don't you just go and see the doctor with all of these worries and questions?

AntsyVee
30-11-19, 19:16
Thank you for the links.

Do yo ufind methods like diary keeping if symotos, triggers help? For example current worry: Boobs. Trigger: Read online and various articles Hiw I feel: need to check. What I do: Check.

I had this Breast OCD years ago and I got over it by distraction techniques

Keeping a journal does help...but you have to be true to it. You need to write down triggers, feelings, what the doctors say, all of it. Then in your weakest moments, you go back and look what the doctor said, and you reassure yourself that way. Reading online is a NO NO.

I also worry that once therapy starts and I get better, that something bad will happen.

That's called magical thinking, and we all deal with combating it. But eventually it comes with the acceptance that anything bad could happen at any time, that's a part of the risk of living. Keeping a journal, and writing these thoughts down will help put them in their place.

Are you reading any self-help books? If the therapy really is four months away (no offense, but it always seems to be looming in the future for you), why not add some books to the online CBT? In fact, if I were you, I would put a sign next to the computer. Have it say: GO READ YOUR BOOK. So that everytime you feel like googling symptoms, you instead read your self-help book.

helenhoo
02-12-19, 16:21
Are there any books you'd recommend? I struggle with the online portals as I use my phone and distracted with messages that come through. I'd rather have a physical work book I can shut myself away when little one is in bed.

My relationship is almost at it's end because my partner says it's tainted from my anxieties. Obviously I'd love him to support me but I understand how frustrating it might be for him.

Carys
02-12-19, 17:58
What happened with the therapy you were waiting for ?

helenhoo
02-12-19, 19:28
It's four month wait with priority apparently, that's the maximum I was told I'd wait but I'm trying to focus on methods myself.

Right now for example I'm still having breast ache at the very top just under my collar bone. I'm trying to get better but physical symptoms are there. It's last day of my period today

AntsyVee
03-12-19, 01:00
Are there any books you'd recommend? I struggle with the online portals as I use my phone and distracted with messages that come through. I'd rather have a physical work book I can shut myself away when little one is in bed.

My relationship is almost at it's end because my partner says it's tainted from my anxieties. Obviously I'd love him to support me but I understand how frustrating it might be for him.

This book: Brain Lock, Twentieth Anniversary Edition: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior (https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Lock-Twentieth-Anniversary-Obsessive-Compulsive/dp/006256143X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7J8BUGYTBWR2&keywords=brain+lock+free+yourself+from+obsessive-compulsive+behavior&qid=1575334568&sprefix=brain+lock%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-2) by Jeffrey M. Schwartz (https://www.amazon.com/Jeffrey-M-Schwartz/e/B0052DUJ1A?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2&qid=1575334568&sr=8-2)

If you have Amazon prime, it's 12 bucks for a physical copy.

As to your relationship, everyone has faults. Part of being in a relationship is believing that this person you are with has positive attributes that outweigh their faults. However, it is usually with an understanding that the person will continue to work on their faults. If you never do anything to work on your OCD, I honestly don't blame your partner for feeling the way that he does. You can only support someone so much if they are unwilling to support themselves.

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-19, 02:12
Reb,

All of these are available on NHS book prescription:

https://reading-well.org.uk/books/books-on-prescription/mental-health

A health professional, not just a GP, can write them and you just go to your local library for them.

If you want to help your relationship then putting the work into recovery is important. It may not save it but it does show willingness to change, to help yourself. From our point of view we don't see much movement and it's all cycles and reassurance seeking. You can work on that.

Therapy will only take you so far, don't stake a recovery on it because these services are short lived so you end up doing a lot of work afterwards too. Therefore you can start beforehand.

Fishmanpa
03-12-19, 02:21
OCD Breast Checking (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?233063-OCD-Breast-Checking/page2)
Seems to me the vast majority of the human male species must suffer from OCD breast checking. I've been checking them out since puberty :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

Quinn1
03-12-19, 02:33
OCD Breast Checking (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?233063-OCD-Breast-Checking/page2)

Seems to me the vast majority of the human male species must suffer from OCD breast checking. I've been checking them out since puberty :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

:roflmao:You be careful fish,you will be tarred and feathered or des-scaled if the Me Too movement catch ya :D

AntsyVee
03-12-19, 03:38
Here are the rules for that, FMP, since obviously you never had "the talk":

1) You can look, but don't touch. Unless s/he asks you too, and s/he's single and over 18 ;)
2) When you're checking out yourself, it doesn't count.

;)

helenhoo
07-12-19, 08:38
I have books ordered and been using the diary technique but this morning the ache is more stingy feeling. I've had another feel and can't feel anything but I'm scared I'll cause more trouble prodding and worry if u don't check and miss something. It is collarbone/armpit area.

AntsyVee
07-12-19, 08:45
Write it down in your diary and move on. Take an ibuprofen or Tylenol.

helenhoo
07-12-19, 22:33
I caved and had anothet feel and nothing but it feels tender but is this likely because of the prodding?

nomorepanic
07-12-19, 23:31
yes

helenhoo
09-12-19, 21:35
Not so much aches today but my nipple itself hurts. This itself makes me want to check again but I'm not.

I've had nipple crust for years, scrub out and moisturise. Isnt this a sign of breast cancer?

AntsyVee
10-12-19, 03:01
Nope. It's a sign of dry skin.

WiseMonkey
10-12-19, 03:44
Not so much aches today but my nipple itself hurts. This itself makes me want to check again but I'm not.

I've had nipple crust for years, scrub out and moisturise. Isnt this a sign of breast cancer?

Go and get it checked by your Dr and ask her/him to do a breast check, then you have a baseline. Next do a monthly check after your period, then leave it alone till the next month. Check only once a month.

helenhoo
10-12-19, 09:10
I'm panicked again today and ran of too toilet to check. Another breast exam done on self and can't feel anything. Just this on off ache in various place on breast and nipple. It's funny because I was worried before any symptoms came along and more I worry, suddenly my breasts ache?

WiseMonkey
11-12-19, 00:48
I'm panicked again today and ran of too toilet to check. Another breast exam done on self and can't feel anything. Just this on off ache in various place on breast and nipple. It's funny because I was worried before any symptoms came along and more I worry, suddenly my breasts ache?

Power of suggestion, the mind-pain connection.

AntsyVee
11-12-19, 01:21
I convinced myself once that I was having a heart attack, but it was just a panic attack. I even made myself get tingling in my arm. I went to the ER, and they told me to get a grip, address my GERD, and get my anxiety under control.