PDA

View Full Version : UK election predictions?

lebonvin
30-11-19, 08:56
I figured yous needed a yank to start this explosive shred.

I'm a hot damn pessimist. Anything but Bozza but then I don't got a vote.

I expect most of yous good folk will want to vote for the party what will do most for health services. As far as I can see that'd be Labor

Scass
30-11-19, 10:05
Well I would normally vote labour but they are a shambles at the moment. I don’t want to vote for Boris either because I’ve never voted conservative before and don’t plan to now. I’m not really giving it much thought. It’s all a big hot mess and I don’t trust any of them to fix it.

I’m always on the losing side though, so I don’t expect my vote to actually do much [emoji38]

mezzaninedoor
30-11-19, 20:03
Sadly I feel that the polling probably doesnt lie
I've done some canvassing this election for a really good local Labour candidate ( even though Im not a Corbyn fan )

On the door there is plenty of 'Yes I know Boris is a liar but that makes him human' type conversation and 'Hes the only one who can deliver Brexit', they don't seem worried about the risks of Brexit No Deal, they don't seem to be concerned about the effects that Tory policies might have on public services especially the stealth privatisation of the NHS

My prediction is a Boris landslide :(
Tories 42%
Labour 30%
Lib Dems 12%
Brexit Party 8%
Other 8%

lebonvin
01-12-19, 01:22
That's sad Mezza but your probably right on

When some one comes out with "I know .....but ...." your wasting your time continuing the schmooze.

Yous get the same comments about Trump here "he speaks our language he's one of us"

Folk of all persuasions want back to a time when

lebonvin
01-12-19, 01:22
That's sad Mezza but your probably right on

When some one comes out with "I know .....but ...." your wasting your time continuing the schmooze.

Yous get the same comments about Trump here "he speaks our language he's one of us"

Folk of all persuasion want back to a time when we was nearly all white and ruled the waves

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 03:10
All the polls are pointing towards a Boris win. In fact, they seem to have been strengthened. A recent one by YouGov showed a majority and this was using a much better criteria as it examined voter intentions across multiple polls and by area.

Like I've always said I vote on the basis of who is the least worst. They will all shaft us, it's only a question of which has the bigger dick to do it :biggrin:

I want the Tories to commit to more spending but I want Labour to reign it in. I have misgivings about renationalisation as I've worked in a couple of these industries and saw the mess caused by market start up and how those rose tinted specs about the good old days didn't reflect my years in the industry fixing the crap that had been wrong for years. Some nationalisation might be worth it (water has never been truly privatised and some customers get hammered but this is also an issue for poor industry regulation in my eyes) and recent rail down South looks promising although we all remember British Rail and how awful they were! I am also concerned about the renationalisation of certain power industries because it will likely shift jobs around and any government of the time will just quote the numbers and not look at how they have cost some areas (nationalisation was really regional and all these 'boards' worked differently in the electricity markets alone and still do today, it's just not that simple) so do I want my loved ones put out of jobs? I would also argue the should force Smart Metering to be sorted before take over anyway as it has been a mess since day one and is well behind with no proposed solutions to so many problematic areas.

I don't exactly see business minds on either main party to be honest. But guys like McDonnell concern me as they are slash & burn merchants with their asset grabbing just as the Moggs of the right are with theor support of the rich. Again, we come back to least worst options. I think McDonnell will crash to the buy to let market and his reducing of pay outs and government bonds for renationalisation is a threat to pensions and the savings of ordinary people despite it being sold as attacking the fat cats.

The local candidate is secondary to the main issues of the day for me. And I have concerns of Labour's FOM direction recently since their conference which must be a boon to France and Italy. But I think the close alignment to the EU may wreck the nationalisation plans anyway and Labour don't seem to have explained how that is avoidable anyway.

And then we have Brexit. Corbyn will his unknown CU still. I notice he has avoided saying EUCU and still quotes a new CU. This is untested and even Juncker has said it's not possible. And the close alignment with the SM might end up making it pretty pointless leaving or having anything bespoke when we could just join the EEA and arrange a CU.

Boris brings a clearer Brexit break but we then have the risk of no FTA ever happening. And whilst some Tories would love the strip the NHS I don't believe the current scaremongering by Labour on this as the quoted text doesn't back it up. It does remain a risk but we could get a Labour landslide in the near future to stop this without the drags of the current leadership.

I've got a postal vote (I signed up when I had my breakdown as I couldn't get out of the house back then) but still haven't ticked anyone. But I think I shall have little choice but to go one way and either would have had me holding my nose.

lebonvin
01-12-19, 03:14
Hey Terry how does postal vote work if your a Brit living abroad? Do you gotta register in your home town or can yous vote anywhere you like? Do they got a postal vote constituency? There must be thousands of Brits living abroad

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 03:55
Hey Terry how does postal vote work if your a Brit living abroad? Do you gotta register in your home town or can yous vote anywhere you like? Do they got a postal vote constituency? There must be thousands of Brits living abroad

Yep, but not in all elections. Just the General Election and the European Elections.

You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the 15 years before you left or if you were too young your parents/guardians must have been. You then just register an overseas voter.

You can then either have them post the vote to you to send back again, turn up on the day if in the UK or set up a proxy vote whereby you nominate someone to do it for you but they must also be registered.

About 5.5m Brits living abroad. I'm not sure if that includes armed services and other diplomatic staff though. But many won't be eligible under current law (which is proposed to be changed to allow for lifetime voting) which is explained here:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05923

There vote gets counted as their last UK address. I'm not sure with the proxy vote though which might be where the proxy voter is registered? Tony will probably know.

Quinn1
01-12-19, 07:57
A lot of those 5.5m live here Charlie,soaking up the rays.

FrankT
01-12-19, 11:03
Let's face it, we're on the road to despair! Boris wins by default! The alternative is my boy Jeremy, and a large portion of this country would sooner elect the Devil over him. So why not go for the next best thing? And come election day, everything is going to change. The NHS will be completely privatised. We'll stay on track to war. I even believe he'll blow his nose on the Withdrawal Agreement and revoke it in favour of a no-deal! I fear he'll become our first dictator! Why not, I mean, he IS in cahoots with fascists anyway!

WiredIncorrectly
01-12-19, 11:05
It's going to be conservative Government. After that Boris will push through the no deal with no opposition.

Carys
01-12-19, 11:41
Charlie, this thread makes me chuckle as it was you who did a 'ban the politics on the forum' thread :winks:

I can't make a call on this election stuff, polls here and polls there all different and ones yesterday showing he had lost 50 percent of his lead. Its wild and unprecedented and like no other election - pleased to see though that the number of under 25s registering to vote this time is the largest number ever.

KK77
01-12-19, 12:49
The right-wing press and media are doing a good job of demonising Corbyn/Labour and unless "events, dear man", change (eg, a serious Boris scandal or f--- -up), I also predict a Tory landslide result.

However, the agenda of NHS cuts and privatisation by stealth is already underway and will continue. Sad, but with the UK population inexorably increasing, the NHS is seen as financially unsustainable and a victim of its own "success" :lac:

WiredIncorrectly
01-12-19, 12:58
However, the agenda of NHS cuts and privatisation by stealth is already underway and will continue. Sad, but with the UK population inexorably increasing, the NHS is seen as financially unsustainable and a victim of its own "success" :lac:

I haven't been following the media or politics recently (bad for my MH). I thought Boris said the NHS was off the cards? I hear some people saying they're talking of selling it to the US.

I can't speak anything good of the NHS. They cured my cancer, but severely failed the 2 family members I lost to cancer. It's a complete mess, overstretched, and under funded. I don't blame the NHS, or the great people doing the thankless jobs working for pennies. The system itself has collapsed.

But, at least our army is getting stronger and we have better weapons /s

FrankT
01-12-19, 13:45

That's a good point! How are we supposed to cope with overpopulation? What'll we do, emigrate to Mars?

mezzaninedoor
01-12-19, 15:03
Let's face it, we're on the road to despair! Boris wins by default! The alternative is my boy Jeremy, and a large portion of this country would sooner elect the Devil over him. So why not go for the next best thing? And come election day, everything is going to change. The NHS will be completely privatised. We'll stay on track to war. I even believe he'll blow his nose on the Withdrawal Agreement and revoke it in favour of a no-deal! I fear he'll become our first dictator! Why not, I mean, he IS in cahoots with fascists anyway!

I dont trust Boris an inch & his performance on Marr show today was a stinker
Why people want to vote for Boris? It beggars belief for me

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 15:04
That's a good point! How are we supposed to cope with overpopulation? What'll we do, emigrate to Mars?

The problem goes beyond the NHS but the issue is that if you want to keep increasing population you need to increase budgets inline with that. We haven't and these services are struggling and here we are at the point where we are concerned about the impacts of immigration (although there are more issue involved than purely impact onto services and underspending).

The more you increase your population the more you increase your social bills. How many will settle here and grow old?

It was always going to come at some point.

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 15:09
I dont trust Boris an inch & his performance on Marr show today was a stinker
Why people want to vote for Boris? It beggars belief for me

I think the issue for many is they trust neither major party leader, Tony. It's about least of two evils.

The media spend a lot of time bashing Corbyn over anti Semitism. A lot of it is clearly BS. However, I would be interested to see how many people are put off by this alone? Boris has said far worse and people aren't that bothered. I suspect many working class voters don't care about Labour's battle over this and place having their bins collected higher up the list of priorities. So whilst the media are being unfair to him it may not have as much impact as people think.

He has some good policies that should appeal to working class voters but he also represents metropolitan Labour which makes him unpopular straight away in many areas and his Brexit stance (and wooliness that has only bred suspicion) will turn them off too.

I remember the last Labour candidate, the sitting MP, knocking doors in my street. He was obviously anti Corbyn from his agreement when people were saying they wanted to vote Labour but disliked Corbyn. He got turfed out though so no idea about the new candidates beliefs.

FrankT
01-12-19, 15:48
The media spend a lot of time bashing Corbyn over anti Semitism.

Dollars to donuts it's all a Conservative conspiracy.

My anxiety has been through the roof since this all began; now it's clear who's winning, I really don't see much to hope for in the next decade.

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 17:01
Dollars to donuts it's all a Conservative conspiracy.

My anxiety has been through the roof since this all began; now it's clear who's winning, I really don't see much to hope for in the next decade.

I'm not surprised since this type of thing is a big trigger for you. However, be wary of the scaremongering of the media. The world won't be ending next year no matter who gets in.

FrankT
01-12-19, 18:32
The world won't be ending next year no matter who gets in.

Good! I mean, we'll all probably envy the dead, but at least the world won't end!

Darksky
01-12-19, 18:40
My postal vote is sat on the side and I have no idea where to put my cross. I don't trust Boris, I think all this baffoonery is a veil to cover a very calculating man and as for Corbyn....I really dislike the bloke. His fence sitting has given him splinters. I did hear somewhere that he was as unpopular as Michael Foot. I think Labour started the rot by electing the wrong Milliband brother. I've been a labour supporter but they've lost their way somewhat. They had a chance to get rid of Corbyn and they didn't take it. I do feel they will rue that day. My prediction? I have no idea really but if Labour lose, I predict Corbyn will be out of the door.
How about if both Johnson and Corbyn lose their seats and we have neither.
I just don't know what to do!
But Terry is right Frank, don't get bogged down by the press. They do love a bit of scaremongering and they are in their element with this

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 19:13
Darksky, I think you are right. He may act the fool but it is a clever ploy to appear harmless. People call him thick but you surely don't get this far that way? We laughed when London made him mayor. Then we groaned whe party made him leader. Now we may end up legitimising that in a GE! And I agree on The Wrong Milliband (does he have a Gromit sidekick?). When Corbyn goes though they may just replace him with Corbyn 2.0 since its the members that have changed? I wonder how far the Tories will have to go to swing it back to Labour under those conditions...do we really want to find out?!!!

FrankT
01-12-19, 19:17
I think Jeremy should have a chance. He's nice enough to everyone he meets.

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-19, 19:22
I think Jeremy should have a chance. He's nice enough to everyone he meets.Yes, he is. In terms of being put off by individuals it's more those around him that bother me. I think Corbyn is still largely the backbencher being led. All parties suffer from this though as politics attracts nutters!

WiredIncorrectly
01-12-19, 21:01
Yes, he is. In terms of being put off by individuals it's more those around him that bother me. I think Corbyn is still largely the backbencher being led. All parties suffer from this though as politics attracts nutters!

I like neither Corbyn, nor Boris. I of course voted to leave - ideally with a deal. Which puts me in an awkward position since Corbyn has other plans. Boris is sneaky and clever and very manipulating. He's most defiantly had schooling from the same people that schooled Trump. Their actions are almost alike.

My box has to go with Boris purely because he's the only person that can deliver Brexit.

The Brexit process has seen Corbyn lose his own voters who voted to leave. MP's ignoring the majority of their constitutions that voted to leave have lost voters. It's estimated almost 4 million Labour supporters voted to leave. The anti-seminism claims do him no favors either. Many want him to resign.

I can't see any other majority except Boris.

FrankT
01-12-19, 21:08
...take a look at your future!

Not Tonight - A dark political comedy RPG set in dystopian Britain (http://www.nottonightgame.com/)

Darksky
01-12-19, 22:09
I voted remain however I accept the majority voted to leave, so that's that. I do think it's appalling the way parliament has thwarted the will of the people time and time again. I guess the majority of MPs don't want us to leave and they are doing everything possible to stop it happening. Now I just want it done. Who the hell is supposed to be running the country when all they are doing is constantly discussing and arguing about Brexit.

WiredIncorrectly
01-12-19, 23:43
...take a look at your future!

Not Tonight - A dark political comedy RPG set in dystopian Britain (http://www.nottonightgame.com/)

They're cashing in on the Brexit hype. Clever marketing tbf. Looks like a good game, I love dystopian games. Out of interest you ever played hackmud?

Pea Tear Griffin
02-12-19, 00:07
I'll be voting Labour.

lebonvin
02-12-19, 01:25
Charlie, this thread makes me chuckle as it was you who did a 'ban the politics on the forum' thread.

Nice one Carys 😂

Yep hypocrisy big time

I guess its coz I found a way to get all the HA and symptoms stuff canned what don't leave me with many shreds I'm competent to comment on

I promise not to get started on US politics tho sucks even more than UK does

Anyways thanks for reading and remembering that

Charlie

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-19, 02:21
I voted remain however I accept the majority voted to leave, so that's that. I do think it's appalling the way parliament has thwarted the will of the people time and time again. I guess the majority of MPs don't want us to leave and they are doing everything possible to stop it happening. Now I just want it done. Who the hell is supposed to be running the country when all they are doing is constantly discussing and arguing about Brexit.

Tell me about it. Parliamentary scrutiny is important but I don't think they can argue that is half of what has happened. I believe they thought they could stop it and now they are having to face the reality that they no longer have May with poor public support. The fact they haven't tried to extend the transition period along with the withdrawal makes me think this and if Boris wins the vote on his deal (in Parliament, which is another possible farce in the making) that they will try to introduce bills for this to (which I would support as time is far too short now).

We have seen court case after court case. Some were important, some were clearly nonsense. This may set the scene for future politics in the UK but it will depend if "the money" are unhappy with the decision of the public :whistles:

The second referendum is also very dodgy and likely to frustrate Remain voters too who like yourself see that the first referendum should be honoured and not replaced by a rigged second one asking a different question. In a second referendum I would favour a two part question so we can separate out who just doesn't like whatever deal is presented.

It will be interesting to see if Labour MP suffer up here due to their failing leadership on this issue. I strongly suspect the local marginals will fall to the Tories, more seats that have never been anything other than red, but it depends on Farage who may peel some off from the harder Brexit types. It's a shame because I know someone who regards their Labour as good because they have helped them resolve local issues in the past but can't justify voting for Corbyn who will put her out of work.

I completely agree with you, all other issues must be suffering. Business have been saying for sometimes that this limbo status is upsetting the pound and we have seen announcements do make it rise as well as fall.

MyNameIsTerry
07-12-19, 04:55
This made me laugh. Relevant to every election no matter what party:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/burger-king-mocks-vote-leaves-brexit-battle-bus-11270407/amp/

https://storage.googleapis.com/cdn.thelondoneconomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ed6bd789-image-1200x858.png

:roflmao:

unsure_about_this
08-12-19, 09:29
No
majority or another 12 months of chaos in the house of commons. sorting out the Brexit mess,

MyNameIsTerry
09-12-19, 05:29
I've voted. It's gone back now. I feel like...

https://makeagif.com/i/rt_KJ6
https://gfycat.com/capitalrawassassinbug
https://makeagif.com/i/rt_KJ6
https://media.giphy.com/media/lK4CWc3ltroeA/giphy.gif

Three choices. The LibDem didn't even have an address and it said ran by some office for the party in Hampshire. :lac: It's annoying when they parachute in candidates but in this case Swinson didn't even start the plane! :doh:

Phill2
09-12-19, 06:40
Boris will win and Brexit will happen on the 12th (of never) :ohmy:
Good luck guys - you need it.

MyNameIsTerry
09-12-19, 14:36
Boris will win and Brexit will happen on the 12th (of never) :ohmy:
Good luck guys - you need it.

Is yours getting booted out again? Yet another corruption scandal?

Phill2
10-12-19, 01:27
Is yours getting booted out again? Yet another corruption scandal?

Not that I know of but it would be great if the QLD mob went.

Noivous
10-12-19, 01:52
Wasn't it Boris that called for the election? If that's the case I would imagine he's quite confident. Though I've read recently where the gap is narrowing But that is typical of most elections when they near. All's I know is many US Presidents have come and gone during my lifetime and I just keep getting up and going to work.

N.

Noivous
10-12-19, 01:57

Very well said friend.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-19, 03:28
Wasn't it Boris that called for the election? If that's the case I would imagine he's quite confident. Though I've read recently where the gap is narrowing But that is typical of most elections when they near. All's I know is many US Presidents have come and gone during my lifetime and I just keep getting up and going to work.

N.

Yes, he tried and they all blocked it. Then the LibDems made a big mistake in offering to support it in an attempt to get a 2nd referendum and here we are. The Tories have been well ahead in all the polls ever since May went and The Brexit Party has all but fizzled out as voters are returning to their normal homes.

Yes, the media said the gap has closed. The next day the other "wing" of the media published the next poll saying it had widened again. The reality is that the polls have been like this all the time but it's which media is choosing to highlight something to attempt to swing people. If you look at the polls tracker on Wiki you can see the trends and the one the media were talking about was one of the <10% ones "gap into single figures blah blah blah" which you will see has happened many times so it's BS media crap as usual. Obviously not all polls are equal anyway and some scrutiny of the questioning, and chosen few (has anyone ever met anyone who has been in one of these polls?), may depend upon which side of the debate commissioned the poll :winks::whistles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_genera l_election

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-19, 03:36
Not that I know of but it would be great if the QLD mob went.

It might have been this then, I can't remember:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/27/turnbull-says-morrison-should-not-have-called-nsw-police-chief-over-doctored-document
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/28/pms-phone-call-to-police-chief-an-inappropriate-attempt-to-use-position-former-top-judge-says

Seems like a very poor attempt to show the Mayor up and he's got them by the danglies :biggrin:

Phill2
10-12-19, 04:29
It might have been this then, I can't remember:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/27/turnbull-says-morrison-should-not-have-called-nsw-police-chief-over-doctored-document
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/28/pms-phone-call-to-police-chief-an-inappropriate-attempt-to-use-position-former-top-judge-says

Seems like a very poor attempt to show the Mayor up and he's got them by the danglies :biggrin:

Just the usual BS - nothing serious.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-19, 05:38

N.

Yes, he tried and they all blocked it. Then the LibDems made a big mistake in offering to support it in an attempt to get a 2nd referendum and here we are. The Tories have been well ahead in all the polls ever since May went and The Brexit Party has all but fizzled out as voters are returning to their normal homes.

Yes, the media said the gap has closed. The next day the other "wing" of the media published the next poll saying it had widened again. The reality is that the polls have been like this all the time but it's which media is choosing to highlight something to attempt to swing people. If you look at the polls tracker on Wiki you can see the trends and the one the media were talking about was one of the <10% ones "gap into single figures blah blah blah" which you will see has happened many times so it's BS media crap as usual. Obviously not all polls are equal anyway and some scrutiny of the questioning, and chosen few (has anyone ever met anyone who has been in one of these polls?), may depend upon which side of the debate commissioned the poll :winks::whistles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_genera l_election

N, just as an addition this may not solve anything either. Boris is expected by many to win this, some believe with a majority. That may sound like Brexit gets passed and we all move on a stage? But his Brexit Bill still have to be passed which means back to Parliament to vote.

There are 650 seats in our Parliament. For a party to form a majority it needs 326 (so 50%+1). But then these MP's can vote against their own party or abstain. Sinn Fein don't take their seats so auto abstain in all votes which means (currently) 7 seats are unused. However, when it comes to Brexit we see all sorts of games and it is not beyond reason to find Boris losing to a coalition of other parties if his own MP's won't vote to support him. But that does mean the Noes need to beat them without those Sinn Fein seats. In the current climate this is possible because of the split nature over Brexit and despite a new party more likely to be onboard with the current strategy.

This is the current breakdown:

https://members.parliament.uk/parties/Commons?fordate=2019-11-05

The Speaker has the casting vote in deadlock but convention means he will vote with the status quo. There are only 2 parties on there that are Leave committed. One, the DUP, have been shafted by Boris and have been vocal about scuppering his deal hoping for a harder Brexit that doesn't annex NI in the process. Every other party on there have been part of the delaying so many of them will just collaborate again and we are yet again stuck in limbo.

So, ideally Boris needs more than a 326 majority to account for a small % of those who vote against or abstain as well as the smaller parties like the DUP who could oppose them due to tribal issues.

Another scenario is yet another minority government. In this case we will see both Tory and Labour try to form a government although I believe convention states the highest number of seats means first bite at the cherry. But what if that's Boris and he can't get the confidence of the Commons? That could mean a backdoor Corbyn if he can. This takes us back into the plotting of Remain groups.

The Change UK lot are most likely to lose their seats to the major parties they left (what a massive failure this enterprise was, the party emblem should be a dying fly :roflmao:) as they may not be very popular locally anyway e.g. Ann Sourby who has spent the last 3 years a hard Remainer despite a Leave constituency which is fine but then she has been quite vocal about her constituents not being educated enough as covered by local media at the time. So, in a seat with a new Tory they will pick up her traditional voters and the Labour candidate will pick up their usual. No Labour voter is surely going to pick Soubry who is a Tory of old and the only Tory voters she picks up are the possible LibDem ones looking for a more moderate MP/party. This party is a likely wipe out but then on some issues they back their old Tory roots anyway (although they are Remain committed on Brexit issues).

If Boris gets a good majority then he will likely romp home with votes on his bill very quickly and we move forward. The other circumstances could mean more zombie Parliaments and likely more GEs to try to change it.

An interesting outcome with this would be how it addresses the medias message about Brexit wanting to be cancelled or needing a revote. If Boris romps home (not sure any of us want to picture a "romping Boris"? :emot-puke::)) then they are going to find it hard to continue stating this. The other issue though is Corbyn. The bigger the Boris majority the more likely it will also be seen as a no to Corbynism. That will be quite a kick in the nads for Labour and they will surely have to reconsider how they rebrand themselves away from Corbyn to stand a future chance. If they won't then we could be in a situation where Boris could do anything and fear nothing at the ballot box, a criticism Labour have been facing for some time already.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-19, 05:45
Just the usual BS - nothing serious.

It's amazing what is normal these days now we have the Donald. I wonder if they all feel they need to up their game to get noticed in the scandal stakes? :roflmao:

Phill2
10-12-19, 06:25
It's amazing what is normal these days now we have the Donald. I wonder if they all feel they need to up their game to get noticed in the scandal stakes? :roflmao:

If I was a yank I'd rather the Don than OBummer as many that I talk to over there have said.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-19, 07:01
If I was a yank I'd rather the Don than OBummer as many that I talk to over there have said.

It's going to be funny if he gets re-elected. Certain quarters will probably self combust. :biggrin:

Can't say I ever rated Obama much.

It was funny to see some US media complaining that Trump has authorised a hit on that major terrorist leader. Obama was the great hero for his hit...or did he rope in and deop him himself (the fuss that was made of him)? Will we get a Hollywood film for the Donald signing a form?

Phill2
10-12-19, 07:45
The Don will get back in no problem

mezzaninedoor
12-12-19, 14:22

I think he will but the Democrats are definitely more aligned with my policies than Donald Trump and the Republicans.
I thought Obama was a great gift on the world stage for the USA, he was seen as a statesman and that he was an aspirational President.
Im well aware that the USA has differing opinions on its Presidents to the rest of the world though.

Noivous
12-12-19, 20:58
I don't know that you and President Trump are that different from one another, Mezz.

Tell me if you agree wih any of this stuff.

The lowest unemployment among blacks in the history of the country.
An extremely robust economy.
Lowest unemployment overall in over 50 years.
Controlling illegal immigration.
Increase in middle income wages
Getting out of the Middle East
Stopping the US from trying to be the worlds police.

There's more but I think you see the point.

FrankT
12-12-19, 22:34

Yeah, well he will now!

Phill2
13-12-19, 08:38
I said Boris would win.
Now you've just got to wait for the 12th for Brexit.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-19, 12:05
I said Boris would win.
Now you've just got to wait for the 12th for Brexit.

Yep, it was more a question of whether he got a majority. If it was hung and Labour got a similar number of votes it would have been anyone's game.

With his majority he can easily get the withdrawal bill voted through now as the other parties don't have enough to stop him if they combine. But then we move into the next stage and I think that will end up getting extended. The 2nd stage was originally planned for 2 years so I don't think it's a bad thing to extend that rather than a rushed deal.

It is just the start though but we always knew that as it has been made very clear. All the nonsense around the withdrawal ended up clouding it all. And then other trade deals will go on for years.

I will be very interested to see how we stay aligned in various agencies such as drug licencing, security, education, etc. And watching what they get up to in the US trade deal which the EU will want to stifle too.

Russia seem to be saying they are happy with Boris. Whilst it means more distance with the EU I would have thought Corbyn getting in would be better for them? Anti US, anti Israel, pro Iran, etc. It would put a big wedge between two major NATO parties. The EU want to keep Russia at bay (they still have France as a nuclear power) but the US is easily the biggest threat compared to countries that make up the EU.

WiredIncorrectly
13-12-19, 18:01
The Brexit Party got no seats, but that doesn't matter. They helped the Tories take Labour out. Farage and gang are not stupid.

Jo Swinson deserved to lose her seat. She is toxic.

I said on /r/UnitedKingdom last night:

People here have spread lies from day one. I've seen anybody supporting Brexit, or Borris, get heckled, ridiculed and torn apart by this community. Where are all the people that changed their mind about the referendum? Many people here were wrong but I doubt they will open up and say sorry.

It got upvoted to hell so it resonated with many. Yet, there still exists people who believe the country has been lied to and led blindly like sheep.

The speech Jo, and Corbyn, gave was pants.The both spoke as if they had been betrayed. Neither will own up to their mess ups during this Brexit process.

Johnson will bolster on now. They've just handed him the keys to free reign.

MobileChicane
13-12-19, 20:03
People here have spread lies from day one. I've seen anybody supporting Brexit, or Borris, get heckled, ridiculed and torn apart by this community. Many people here were wrong but I doubt they will open up and say sorry.

How is “being wrong“ and “spreading lies” the same thing?

People are not “wrong” because they vote in a party different than yours. Winning doesn’t make you “right”. Life isn't as simple as one big victory. People are still going to fight brexit, and if we leave people are going to fight to rejoin the EU. Then if we rejoin the EU, people will fight to leave again.

Where are all the people that changed their mind about the referendum?

Over 50% of the vote actually went to to parties promising a second referendum or who were explicitly anti-Brexit, but a nevertheless Brexit is going to be shoved down the country's throat because of our godawful voting system FPTP.

WiredIncorrectly
13-12-19, 20:19
You can thank the SNP and Lib Dems making up most of that 50%, which doesn't really reflect the views of the majority in England and Wales. Scotland want independence. Let them have it. Lib Dems are useless and helped to gain the votes from Labour. Many were on the Jo Swinson hype but she lost her seat too.

People are wrong for ridiculing those who showed any support for Boris, or the Tories, and are often branded far rights. If you've spent time on the subreddit you'll see its controlled mostly by Labour. It's a toxic waste ground and today has closed it's doors to new posts because it's receiving an influx of new members and posts that go against their own agenda.

The claims that most people had a change of heart over Brexit were clearly false. The landslide victory has shown that. All you have to do is look on here, Twitter, Reddit etc and see the amount of people peddling the lie that a second referendum is needed because people have changed their minds.

You can look at this election as a second referendum. If people didn't want the UK to leave the Tories would not have had such a huge win last night.

I can finally say "Dominic Cummings is a genius!". I've been waiting to say that for a while. He writes a cool blog on science, mathematics and philosophy. A very learned guy if you look past the media's BS about him https://dominiccummings.com/

MobileChicane
13-12-19, 22:28
You can thank the SNP and Lib Dems making up most of that 50%, which doesn't really reflect the views of the majority in England and Wales. Scotland want independence. Let them have it. Lib Dems are useless and helped to gain the votes from Labour. Many were on the Jo Swinson hype but she lost her seat too.

People are wrong for ridiculing those who showed any support for Boris, or the Tories, and are often branded far rights. If you've spent time on the subreddit you'll see its controlled mostly by Labour. It's a toxic waste ground and today has closed it's doors to new posts because it's receiving an influx of new members and posts that go against their own agenda.

The claims that most people had a change of heart over Brexit were clearly false. The landslide victory has shown that. All you have to do is look on here, Twitter, Reddit etc and see the amount of people peddling the lie that a second referendum is needed because people have changed their minds.

You can look at this election as a second referendum. If people didn't want the UK to leave the Tories would not have had such a huge win last night.

I can finally say "Dominic Cummings is a genius!". I've been waiting to say that for a while. He writes a cool blog on science, mathematics and philosophy. A very learned guy if you look past the media's BS about him https://dominiccummings.com/

You realise he didn't win a majority of voters, just a majority of seats? Of course, that's exactly what the GE required, but to say the outcome is representative of a majority of voters wanting Brexit is disingenuous and you're falling into the same trap as the folks you're having a go at. The reality is, as was the case in 2016 and as remains the case now, Brexit is deeply divisive and there exists no landslide for either side. 52% when split into constituencies becomes ~63%. It is what it is.

Scotland voted overwhelmingly to back the SNP (if we're looking purely at seat numbers they're the sole party in Scotland pretty much) so that means the people of Scotland are fully behind Scottish independence, right...? Johnson disagrees.

In the end, political parties will use what ever metric is most beneficial to justify support for every one of their plans. Tories have the seats so Johnson can move for whatever Brexit he wants.

Phill2
14-12-19, 06:47
Yep, it was more a question of whether he got a majority. If it was hung and Labour got a similar number of votes it would have been anyone's game.

With his majority he can easily get the withdrawal bill voted through now as the other parties don't have enough to stop him if they combine. But then we move into the next stage and I think that will end up getting extended. The 2nd stage was originally planned for 2 years so I don't think it's a bad thing to extend that rather than a rushed deal.

It is just the start though but we always knew that as it has been made very clear. All the nonsense around the withdrawal ended up clouding it all. And then other trade deals will go on for years.

I will be very interested to see how we stay aligned in various agencies such as drug licencing, security, education, etc. And watching what they get up to in the US trade deal which the EU will want to stifle too.

Russia seem to be saying they are happy with Boris. Whilst it means more distance with the EU I would have thought Corbyn getting in would be better for them? Anti US, anti Israel, pro Iran, etc. It would put a big wedge between two major NATO parties. The EU want to keep Russia at bay (they still have France as a nuclear power) but the US is easily the biggest threat compared to countries that make up the EU.

What is the reason behind Brexit?
Aren't you guys better off staying in the EU????

Gary A
14-12-19, 10:53
Scotland want independence. Let them have it.

The SNP landslide up here was far more to do with labours collapse than support for independence. It’s also a little known fact that a lot of the SNP candidates removed the word “independence” from their campaigns.

They were utterly humiliated in 2017 when the Tories took a load of seats, and even Salmond lost his. They know fine well that support for independence is slowly dwindling, but they’re not about to admit that.

Please don’t fall for the narrative that we want independence because the SNP are winning everything up here. The only actual vote on this was in 2014 and we said no by a 10% majority. The SNP have never respected or accepted this and have set out to annoy and agitate ever since.

Crowds of roaming idiots wandering our streets with saltire face paint does not speak for the majority of this country. Give us indyref 2 and I’d bet my savings that the result would be an even bigger “no” than it was the last time.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 11:15
The SNP landslide up here was far more to do with labours collapse than support for independence. It’s also a little known fact that a lot of the SNP candidates removed the word “independence” from their campaigns.

They were utterly humiliated in 2017 when the Tories took a load of seats, and even Salmond lost his. They know fine well that support for independence is slowly dwindling, but they’re not about to admit that.

Please don’t fall for the narrative that we want independence because the SNP are winning everything up here. The only actual vote on this was in 2014 and we said no by a 10% majority. The SNP have never respected or accepted this and have set out to annoy and agitate ever since.

Crowds of roaming idiots wandering our streets with saltire face paint does not speak for the majority of this country. Give us indyref 2 and I’d bet my savings that the result would be an even bigger “no” than it was the last time.

Their argument is that Brexit has changed the landscape. We know from the voting numbers that wasn't supported and how some SNP supporters are pro Brexit anyway.

The trouble is the SNP will just push anyway. Do you think they will harp on about it and how the UK causes so many injustices for them just to the point where a vote might be granted...but then fizzle out knowing it won't go their way? Maybe Boris should grant it so she can't just moan he's preventing your freedom? :winks:

Mobile Chicane posted a chart in the EU thread that showed under PR the SNP are a lot worse off. I find that interesting because like the EU ref in Scotland those not on the winning side tend to be forgotten.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 11:19
What is the reason behind Brexit?
Aren't you guys better off staying in the EU????

It depends who and where you are doesn't it? If I were a business owner who traded across the EU I would vote to stay in knowing it would continue to enrich my trade. If you are in one of the more neglected areas of the country (which is the fault of lack of government investment as well as EU pressures) then you might not see such an advantage in that trade.

Some dislike the remoteness of the EU institutions who we get little or no say in.

Some just look around and see how crap it still is and think why not see what a change does.

Financially we might be better off in the EU but that doesn't necessarily translate down to we plebs. A stronger economy should but that's only when investment is offsetting those pressures on local services.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 11:25
The Brexit Party got no seats, but that doesn't matter. They helped the Tories take Labour out. Farage and gang are not stupid.

Jo Swinson deserved to lose her seat. She is toxic.

I said on /r/UnitedKingdom last night:

It got upvoted to hell so it resonated with many. Yet, there still exists people who believe the country has been lied to and led blindly like sheep.

The speech Jo, and Corbyn, gave was pants.The both spoke as if they had been betrayed. Neither will own up to their mess ups during this Brexit process.

Johnson will bolster on now. They've just handed him the keys to free reign.

It's actually quite interesting because it shows how the online social media bubble isn't representative of the real world. All that online activism being a very loud mouthpiece distorting reality. Three years of saying the UK changed it's mind was not the case.

I'm glad of this. If social media represented how we think we have far greater problems.

Not see anything about the voter age groups yet. This will be interesting.

Gary A
14-12-19, 12:10
Their argument is that Brexit has changed the landscape. We know from the voting numbers that wasn't supported and how some SNP supporters are pro Brexit anyway.

The trouble is the SNP will just push anyway. Do you think they will harp on about it and how the UK causes so many injustices for them just to the point where a vote might be granted...but then fizzle out knowing it won't go their way? Maybe Boris should grant it so she can't just moan he's preventing your freedom? :winks:

Mobile Chicane posted a chart in the EU thread that showed under PR the SNP are a lot worse off. I find that interesting because like the EU ref in Scotland those not on the winning side tend to be forgotten.

The landscape always changes in politics, that’s the nature of the beast.

At this point the SNP are basically acting like we’re an independent country. The whole “Scotland voted to remain in the EU” argument is utterly irrelevant. When we voted to remain in the UK, we did so knowing full well that future referendums or General Elections was a UK vote.

They claim to respect and stand for the wishes of Scottish people, but somehow that doesn’t include 55% of us who voted to remain in the UK, when it was literally asked of us and put to a vote.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, if remaining in the EU was the outcome, Sturgeon would have started harping on about how Scotland wished to leave. They are nothing more than contrarians of Westminster, and it’s all geared toward independence. They really need to stop this nonsense.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 12:38
This young Labour MP is going to be unpopular in Westminster already :whistles:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britains-youngest-mp-vows-to-only-take-home-£35000-of-her-£79k-salary/ar-AAK6NUF?ocid=spartanntp

Fair play to her. However, £35k is not a "worker's wage" up here unless you consider the "worker" to be an accountant, solicitor, not so middle manager, etc :whistles: Maybe Nottingham is vastly different despite being not far down the road from me? Still a good precedent to set so fair play for limiting her gains.

Noivous
14-12-19, 13:37
The Curse of Hugh Grant.

Evidently every candidate this guy backed lost Thursday. Shows you how much we think of the Hollywood types opinions.

It's always struck me that these entertainment folk think we care about their political opinions. Like Cher saying if Trump won the election in 16 she was moving to Canada.

Like there was someone out there thinking... I want to vote for Trump but if I do we lose Cher to the Canucks.

BTW She's still living in the good old US of A.

Go have another face lift and stop pestering us.

N.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 14:10
The Curse of Hugh Grant.

Evidently every candidate this guy backed lost Thursday. Shows you how much we think of the Hollywood types opinions.

It's always struck me that these entertainment folk think we care about their political opinions. Like Cher saying if Trump won the election in 16 she was moving to Canada.

Like there was someone out there thinking... I want to vote for Trump but if I do we lose Cher to the Canucks.

N.

With her many millions. Wouldn't it work the other way anyway? People might vote to see her go? And how does that work for solidarity when you say you will just go buy a mansion somewhere else and sod all of you who are left behind? :doh:

Grant made me laugh. He didn't care what your politics were as long as you wanted to stop Brexit.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-19, 14:40
The Curse of Hugh Grant.

N.

N,

I notice the US media are seizing on this to talk about the Democrats lurching too far to the left to make them electable. I'm not sure how reliable one country can be compared to another anyway. Some seem quite dismissive about the comparison due to our EU issue but then it could be argued you've had that issue with the wall and border anyway?

No doubt much the same is behind it though and you will find a trail of money on all sides fighting to get their side in.

AntsyVee
14-12-19, 15:16
I think I'm gonna join Plaid Cymru just for $hits and giggles

AntsyVee
14-12-19, 15:21
Oh, and I bought you a doll for the holidays, Noivous ;)

Noivous
14-12-19, 19:24
Hahaha!! Thank you, AntsyVee! Hey I never said the girl wasn't a looker or lacked talent. Thanks again!

BTW Did you get that doll in Canada?

AntsyVee
14-12-19, 19:33
No, not Canada. Ebay. Some dude in Michigan. Close though...

Are you sure though of all the celebrities you'd like to go to Canada, you'd pick Cher? Let's send the ones back first that we don't want... like Bieber.

Phill2
15-12-19, 07:01
Thanks Terry :yesyes: