PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to be anxious when do dont think you are?

Inanna
01-12-19, 20:57
Hi all

I've been getting a lot of palpitations lately. I've been trying to ignore them, and not freak out. However, on top of the palps this evening, I got a sudden sharp pain in the centre of my chest, which came and went. I now have a burning sensation in my stomach too.

My appetite has been absent for a few days too

I thought I was dealing with it well :-(

thank you for reading

Inanna x

Fishmanpa
01-12-19, 21:00
Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

Positive thoughts

Pea Tear Griffin
01-12-19, 23:55
100% YES!

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-19, 02:07
Yes, afraid so. What you have to remember is that until you reach a point in your recovery that not much bothers you it wil be in your subconscious looking for triggers. Up pops a sensation or a news article or even something someone says and it makes an association to a fear (a core belief) and starts off the panic/anxiety symptoms.

This is why it's not about how you feel as much as what lies underneath. Recovery is about retraining your subconscious out of those old netative thinking patterns and mothballing negative core beliefs in favour of new ones i.e. you no longer feel fear from the cute bunny your subconscious has programmed a core belief is really a slathering bear and now you just see a cute bunny.

Inanna
02-12-19, 08:30
Hi,

Thank you for your replies, I do so appreciate it. I ended up taking a diazapam last night (I have a few as I need them when I fly). However, I realise that isn't a long term solution, so I am going to do the CBT again.
Also, can anyone recommend a good audiobook that I can listen to in the car? Claire Weeks maybe? Obviously cant be midnfulnes as I will be driving

Thank you all

Jeepers xx

ankietyjoe
02-12-19, 09:34
Hi all

I've been getting a lot of palpitations lately. I've been trying to ignore them, and not freak out. However, on top of the palps this evening, I got a sudden sharp pain in the centre of my chest, which came and went. I now have a burning sensation in my stomach too.

My appetite has been absent for a few days too

I thought I was dealing with it well :-(

thank you for reading

Inanna x

You are dealing with it well. But dealing with it well also includes not jumping to conclusions or catastrophising a small setback.

Your chest pain, burning sensation and palps are also indicative of indigestion, reflux or GERD. Stress and anxiety has a habit of bubbling under. Your bodies response to stress is autonomous. Just do what you did before to help deal with it and do it again, and pay attention to any stomach issues (which are common). This isn't anything major.