PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain

lebonvin
03-12-19, 01:38
Yoga got multiple health benefits but you gotta do it right. Otherwise you can stuff up your back like what I just done hot damn.

I got herniated slip disc from years back schlepping heavy military equipment. Easy to forget till it come back and bite you.

Got pain traveling down back of one leg.

I ain't gonna take opioids or visit the doc.

I found good exercises for sciatica and back pain on YouTube, will do carefully twice a day.

Has any folk here got experience of the same? Any healing tips? Is it ok to take paracetamol or ibuprofen to give yousself a break?

Thanks in advance.

This should be under Symptoms section but I canned already to get rid of HA stuff now can't get it back

AntsyVee
03-12-19, 01:40
I have the same thing going on from a car accident years ago. I find that daily walking, and doing the sciatica back stretches before bed really helps me.

lebonvin
03-12-19, 01:45
Thanks for quick reply Vee! Will do before lunch and before bed

Quinn1
03-12-19, 01:56
Hi Charlie
sorry you have a crook back,Vee is right walking helps maybe ease up on the yoga for a cuppla days.
You can try hot and cold packs on your back as well.

it is good you not going to see Dr Feelgood.

Quinny Xxx

lebonvin
03-12-19, 02:46
Thanks Quinny yous good ladies know what yous talking about your advice has never failed me

Yep stuff the yoga for a few days

The 5 exercises I will do are actually yoga but not same as a fully fledged gig

Charlie xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-19, 02:55
Yeah, if it's sciatica you don't want to be sitting or lying anyway as it makes it worse. Get up and get gentle exercise like walking. Do the stretches but they don't work for everyone. My dad has has sciatica bouts that have left him slithering along the floor like a snake and found stretches unhelpful but a TENS machine worked for him (helped me too up to a point).

Why not switch your yoga to sciatica based stuff? I bet they have some in for that as when I was searching for stretching beyond the NHS recommended basic stuff there were loads of vids about online.

lebonvin
03-12-19, 03:03
Hi Tezza

Yep I'm gonna do sciatica stretches from YouTube

I wouldn't know the difference between sciatica and a herniated slilp disc but exercises same for both

Charlie

lebonvin
03-12-19, 04:39
Hey Vee and Quinny

Just done 5 exercises 10 reps and it done no harm, actually 7 exercises coz two yous do both sides. Pain never gotten any worse but I took ibu also

Do yous think this routine twice a day is too much? I got tendency to overdo. Just once before bed?

Thanks Charlie xx

AntsyVee
03-12-19, 07:46
Twice okay. Morning and before bed probably best.

Quinn1
03-12-19, 08:15
Charlie don’t over do it with the exercises,like Vee said morning/ evening and try a heat pack on your lower back when ya get into bed.Xx

lebonvin
03-12-19, 08:15
Much obliged Vee will do

Charlie xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-12-19, 14:21
Yeah, just keep the muscles warm with gentle exercise like walking so you don't stiffen up.

Both my dad & I found sciatica to like you sit down and feel like you've sat on something like a stone (I think it's described as like a wallet in yor back pocket). We got a tightness down he leg all the way down through the back of the calf. When it was worse the foot would even tingle from it.

keta
03-12-19, 20:51
Hi
i has lower back pain for years now, my MRI scan was pretty much clear so it’s all down to tension & muscle pain, so not sure my problems compare to yours, but started to do Pilates classes back in summer and have to say I got 50% improvement in my pain , I still get bad days when I do take ibuprofen or on odd occasion codeine.
But I would definitely recommend any gentle exercise.

lebonvin
04-12-19, 06:15
Thanks Keta

Charlie x

ErinKC
04-12-19, 23:43
Also look into getting some good shoes. Wearing shoes with bad arch support made my sciatica worse. You can go to a good shoe store and have them check your foot to see if you would benefit from an insole of some kind. For me, walking made my sciatica worse until I got the right shoes.

lebonvin
05-12-19, 04:21
Thanks Erin

I feels like that old arcade game where heads pop outta holes and yous hit with a mallet. Then another kop oops outta a different hole.

This is gonna be a long and hard and painful recovery but a combination of exercises and patience should works.

I know I ain't the only one here dealing with multiple conditions so I'm sadassin on behalf of us all

Carnation
05-12-19, 10:43
Hi Charlie,

I had sciatic a few years ago. The pain was like hell on earth. :ohmy: my back would set if I sat or lay too long like Terry says.
Anyway I'm not a doctor person but in the end I was so bad I went to physiotherapist.
She gave me a cold pack to put on my back.
You can use something from the freezer wrapped in a towel. I was doing wrong by putting heat on it. It's inflammation so it needs to come down.
Although as Quinn says, hot and cold works too. It stimulates the nerves.
Gentle walking was recommended too. x

lebonvin
05-12-19, 11:17
Thanks Carny

Charlie x

lebonvin
06-12-19, 01:30
Hi All

I spent past 3 days watching clips on Tube. Discovered the exercises I was doing was wrong excepting one outta five. Gotta be careful. Everything yous good folk said was correct. I gonna say what I learnt off Tube

SCIATICA is nerve pain caused by three main conditions. You gotta know your own cause to choose the correct exercises

Mine is HERNIATED DISC what is the most common cause. It got does a d don'ts

DO

Stomach pushups called cobra in yoga, sets of 10 five times a day

Standing back bends same regimen as above

Lie on stomach with elbows and head on pillow keeping lower back arched

Walk around

DON'T

Don't do yoga!

Avoid sitting but if you have to, back of chair should be upright and roll up a towel to put in small of back

Don't bend forward when doing any task

AIM

Aim to get pain to leave leg and concentrate in lower back

Charlie

AntsyVee
06-12-19, 04:48
Good info, Charlie!

Carnation
06-12-19, 10:33
Hi Charlie,

And at the end of the day, your body will tell you if it doesn't like something.
Walking seems to be the cure for everything! x

lebonvin
06-12-19, 10:56
Hi Vee and Carny

Thanks for your input as always

Yep, cold pack was recommended by the best physical therapists I found ion Tube but not hot. But I guess cold followed straight by hot not the same

Charlie

keta
11-12-19, 20:42
Hi Charlie
are you able to attend any classes eg Pilates like I mentioned before. It really helps to strengthen your core and taking pressure of using your back muscles .
watching videos is ok but sometimes it’s good to have instructor to help you to do it correctly without hurting yourself.
Just a thought
x

Carnation
12-12-19, 09:53
How are you feeling Charlie?