PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about Dementia

always scared
04-12-19, 08:11
Sometimes saying the wrong word in a sentence. Is this early onset? :scared15:

always scared
04-12-19, 08:20
Full on panic attack at 3 am :scared15: Woke up and couldn't sleep so I went on FB and saw something about someone with Dementia by mistake and now I'm freaking out . They said that saying the wrong words when talking is an early sign. :scared15: I feel like I do this all the time and catch myself doing it.

PLEASE SOMEONE TALK ME DOWN FROM THIS PANIC ATTACK !!

WiseMonkey
04-12-19, 09:01
No, I say the wrong word/s quite often and also the opposite word to what I mean! I sometimes forget things mid-sentence ...then I remember them. Lots of people do this, I've done it since my late 30's, now I'm 62. Some of my friends have similar issues, it's just a natural part of aging. Not worth worrying about.

My mother had a phobia about Alzheimer's when she was in her 40's & 50's, she'd read lots of books about it. She died last year aged 91 and did have some old age dementia in her last few years. I think she had this phobia because her mother also had it in her early 90's. She died when she was 95!

always scared
04-12-19, 16:03
Thank you WiseMonkey for your reply. Having such a hard day today so far. I just can't shake this awful feeling of losing my mind. I don't want to talk to anyone today or ever. Writing everything down seems ok. I'm scared to open my mouth. I'm scared of mixing up my words. Now that I'm thinking about it, my memory is pretty bad too. It's like I don't retain what I read and I always have to re read everything

BlueIris
04-12-19, 16:18
Did you know that anxiety can mess with your focus and memory?

always scared
04-12-19, 16:33
Did you know that anxiety can mess with your focus and memory?

Yes, but how does that effect your speech and saying the wrong word. It was funny when I got my kids names wrong but not so funny now :scared15:

BlueIris
04-12-19, 16:46
Because anxiety puts you into fight-or-flight mode; it prepares you to survive in a life-or-death situation, and back in caveman days remembering words wouldn't have been seen as an essential function.

I can barely speak when I'm stressed.

Pamplemousse
04-12-19, 17:44
Yes, but how does that effect your speech and saying the wrong word. It was funny when I got my kids names wrong but not so funny now :scared15:

I really wouldn't worry about it, especially that last one - my late mother would sometimes call me by both my brother's and my sister's names before getting to mine! :roflmao:

And before you ask - she was a bit forgetful (hell, I am terrible!) but had no signs of dementia at all.

BlueIris
04-12-19, 17:47
Pamplemousse, my father has been known to call me by the dog's name before remembering mine!

always scared
04-12-19, 18:07
Yes my mom does it too. But I'm not 70 :weep:

Scass
04-12-19, 18:34
It’s anxiety really.
My Mum has dementia, and I think I read a really good description on here - it’s not just forgetting names of things, it’s actually forgetting how things work or where you live or how to do the simplest things.

always scared
04-12-19, 20:03
It’s anxiety really.
My Mum has dementia, and I think I read a really good description on here - it’s not just forgetting names of things, it’s actually forgetting how things work or where you live or how to do the simplest things.

I know it gets that way later on in dementia. I'm just panicking that I'm in the early stages of dementia and I can't calm myself down. Having a terrible day just crying everytime I look at my children.

always scared
04-12-19, 20:18
the waves of panic attacks are awful.

BlueIris
04-12-19, 20:36
Are you aware your fears are irrational?

always scared
04-12-19, 22:13
Are you aware your fears are irrational?

Yes and no. I know I can be very irrational at times but when I'm in a full blown panic about symptoms that I am having I can't think of anything else but the symptoms and I am convinced that I have that illness. :weep: nothing helps so I try going online or google to get reassurance. It does help sometimes. But most of the time it makes things so much more worse. I just can't stop the cycle. Google isn't really wrong about the symptoms . They just list all the possibilities and I always go to the worst case scenario . If there is a 1% chance of having something it will be me.

Fishmanpa
04-12-19, 23:32
If there is a 1% chance of having something it will be me.

You should play the lotto! ;)

Positive thoughts

always scared
05-12-19, 01:34
You should play the lotto! ;)

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa that would be a great idea but it's the bad luck the follows me not the good. :meh: :smile:

Fishmanpa
05-12-19, 02:13
Fishmanpa that would be a great idea but it's the bad luck the follows me not the good. :meh: :smile:

Seems to me you've had excellent luck being you haven't had any of the things you've feared.

Positive thoughts

always scared
05-12-19, 03:17
Seems to me you've had excellent luck being you haven't had any of the things you've feared.

Positive thoughts

I don't know about that :mellow: Remember me the one that is terrified to go the doctors and get tested. I'm a ticking time bomb. Though I hope you're right about the luck Fishmanpa.

always scared
05-12-19, 03:41
I'm trying to take my mind of all of this panic so I tried watching a Hallmark Christmas movie. NOT WORKING!!! Why does every Hallmark Christmas movie start off with DEAD parents? I swear every movie I've seen has dead parents. Can we not have one Christmas movie with all the parents alive and well and everyone has a good Christmas !

BlueIris
05-12-19, 04:47
Why not watch a good movie instead?

I tend to find that all the contrived heartwarming/tearjerking stuff just makes me feel hopelessly inadequate, and I'm better off watching something that takes me out of myself.

bin tenn
05-12-19, 13:40
This happens to people all the time. If you watch live TV, YouTube videos, interviews, etc, people slip all the time. Nothing to worry about, and not even close to abnormal.

always scared
06-12-19, 02:00
This happens to people all the time. If you watch live TV, YouTube videos, interviews, etc, people slip all the time. Nothing to worry about, and not even close to abnormal.

Thanks bin tenn :hugs:I'm trying real hard today not to freak out but it's so hard. I just can't shake this awful feeling that I have it. I'm trying to watch what I say and talk slowly but I'm just waiting for the next time i mess up my words.

Fishmanpa
06-12-19, 02:27
My mother suffered from dementia toward the end of her life. I lived it. I saw what it did to her. To even consider this because you mixed up a few words now and again? I have no words.... Nor do you have dementia. Your anxiety on the other hand is raging! What are you doing to treat the illness you actually have?

Positive thoughts

always scared
06-12-19, 02:46
My mother suffered from dementia toward the end of her life. I lived it. I saw what it did to her. To even consider this because you mixed up a few words now and again? I have no words.... Nor do you have dementia. Your anxiety on the other hand is raging! What are you doing to treat the illness you actually have?

Positive thoughts

Thank you Fishmanpa . I needed to hear that. I'm real sorry to upset you. It's just getting harder and harder to control these thoughts lately. I do need help but I'm just too damn scared to go to the doctors for help. I am my own worst enemy. My head is in a very dark place at the moment