PDA

View Full Version : Fish bone in tonsil. Had such a freak out

izzybizzy
06-12-19, 23:47
I feel really stupid for posting this and disappointed in myself but I need to post it.

I’ve been doing great with health anxiety lately but tonight I let it take over.

So I was eating mackerel for dinner and a fish bone got stuck in my mouth at the back near my tonsils, I tried to remove it with my fingers but it kept making me gag and then I started to panic more and more, I had the urge to swallow and suddenly it was gone, I know the logical and rational answer would be that I’ve swallowed it and it’s gone but I instantly had a panicky thought that what if it got pushed up through my tonsil and into my brain (yep I know insane)

I have a genuine fear of anything brain related and I get irrational about it.

I rang 111 just to ask what’s the best course of action, she said to go to A and E incase it’s lodged in the throat which it isn’t and I did try to explain to her. But she said they have to advise to. I tried to ask her if it could go up from mouth to my brain and she said she couldn’t tell me as she isn’t a medical professional which obviously freaked me out further, I was kind of hoping that the call would rule anything out and I’d just be able to chill out and get to bed but that didn’t happen.

I haven’t gone yet because I was waiting for my friend to come with me. After speaking to some friends and family they think it’ll just be a wasted trip with me up half the night to be told I’m fine. My mum who was a nurse for years said the thought about it going up and into my head is not rational and I need to calm down.

I wish I could be more rational right now but I just can’t calm down.

I really don’t want to spend half the night awake at A and E especially when I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow.

Any advise?

Fishmanpa
07-12-19, 00:22
Any advise?

I know the logical and rational answer would be that I’ve swallowed it and it’s gone....

Positive thoughts