PDA

View Full Version : buddy help lines

den42
28-09-07, 22:47
nic
paddington and myself were talking on the phone today, we think it would be a great idea for people who find it difficult to travel places, would probably feel better just knowing that they could talk to someone or even text someone whilst they were travelling if they get a bit anxious, hard to explain but i'll try say someone wants to go to london, if there were people on here who live enroute to london, would they be willing to give that person their phone number it would be like a safety net for people, just knowing they could call them if they get stuck with how their feeling,let me know what you think, mary i hope you don't mind me mentioning this
denise :hugs:

nomorepanic
28-09-07, 22:58
Hi

We looked at this before a long time ago and asked if people would like to join a list of members that people could call but people were worried so didn't want to do it.

They were worried about getting texts asking for help and not feeling up to it or unable to reply etc etc.

We did try to set it up but it fell flat.

I guess people feel better texting someone they know off here and at a guess they would have given people permission to text/call them before doing so.

It is an excellent idea but maybe one that only works with people who know each other and are comfortable texting each other.

Frankie23
28-09-07, 23:01
Im more than happy for people to use my number to text if they are feeling rough, sometimes i feel i can help people other than myself

nomorepanic
28-09-07, 23:03
Can I just add that if people are willing to do this then I am more than happy to try and manage it with a list of numbers etc - I am not dismissing it - just saying what happened last time I tried to set it up.

There was also the problem of some people didn't like calling people they didn't know.

Frankie23
28-09-07, 23:09
The way i look at it people have helped me with info on here, helped me when ive had bad days think its time to return the favour :)

den42
28-09-07, 23:56
hi nic
that would be very helpful, frankie im with you on this anybody can have my number if it helps them to get to where they want to go then i say phone or text me even if we dont know each other it doesnt matter really as we are all in the same boat here, we all know what the anxiety is like and just knowing someone is a phone call away really helps in anxious situations
take care all

Frankie23
29-09-07, 22:09
Precisely well I have 2 numbers 'lucky me eh' but one of them I can deffo use if people are having a down day

Granny Primark
02-10-07, 12:23
Im definitely up for it. I think its a great idea.
I get really panicky going to far away from home.
Im hoping go on hol next year to hampshire, so im sure it would be a great help.
Im fine with anyone having my number. Im more than willing to help anyone feeling panicky.

Take care
LYNN xx

knightbabe
02-10-07, 21:01
I would also be willing to join. I find when I am in a panicky situation that talking to someone helps me get through it. I have to have someone sit in the car with me if I want to drive somewhere just so I can talk to them. Am due to start work on Monday and need all the support I can get as I am going to have to drive to get there, it is less than 5 mins away but the journey is already scaring me.

Alabasterlyn
03-10-07, 10:39
I think it's a great idea. Whenever I try going out walking on my own I always get my partner to phone me on my mobile so that he can talk to me and keep me calm whilst I am out. I wonder how we coped before mobile phones :ohmy:

I live quite close to the main line that goes to London Euston and would be more than happy to offer any help. I know years ago when I would walk to the tube to get to work I always felt comforted by the fact that I had to walk past the Dr's surgery enroute and it really helped me a lot just knowing that there was a 'safe' place there for me if I needed it.

den42
05-10-07, 21:36
hi nic
people do seem to be interested in this so what happens next,

Frankie23
09-10-07, 10:49
Well ive already invested in a text pal Tony!!!

Its a great help knowing he's only a text away

x

knightbabe
10-10-07, 14:46
I agree with Frankie. I also have a text pal now and it helped me get through a bad patch over the weekend.
Leigh

nomorepanic
11-10-07, 19:15
I could do something like "No Panic" do which is a list of people's names, addresses and email addresses but I can add on contact phone numbers for those willing to give it out and we could even specify times of the day that they can/cannot be contacted and if they prefer only to talk to the same sex person etc etc.

I am sure you get the idea.

How does that sound?

Obviously it will not be published on here but given to people that feel they need it and those participating.

Any thoughts?

Krakers
11-10-07, 19:48
Hi Nic, sounds great in principle but frought with danger practically.

The person my friends see, isn't me. My on-line persona, isn't me. The person my daughter and fiance see aren't me. The real me I'm not sure anyone knows, but just for clarifactions sake, the real me is a good guy (so are all the others).

You know yourself people have spoofed, been predatory, lied etc in the past. My concern would be that if just one incident arose out of this scheme that attracted national coverage, then there might not be an NMP for all of us who need it.

I would advise caution and more over legal advice before solidifying anything.

Krakers.

nomorepanic
11-10-07, 19:51
Krakers

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the dangers as No Panic had to remove phone numbers in the end from their list.

It could just be a name and location and email address then people can make contact by mail etc and swap numbers if they feel happy.

As I said I am happy for suggestions and also want to make this as safe as possible for people.

Thanks for your input.

Richie
11-10-07, 23:51
:yesyes: yeah i would like to help out too, don't mind my moble or landline no given out. if someones out and in trouble please text or call or e-mail
and vice versa it would help me alot too:flowers:

ncowan
12-10-07, 07:56
Hi

I would be really interested in supporting others from the site.......as many of them have me through my difficult times.

Feel free to PM or email me if you go ahead and would like my details.

Nicola x

bluesparkle
12-10-07, 08:10
hi nic
i also would be happy to help in this way as this site has given me so much
rach

knightbabe
12-10-07, 10:33
Perhaps we should start off with a list of locations and email addresses then its up to those who want to give out there number to do so.

nomorepanic
12-10-07, 18:38
If anyone wants to add their name etc to the list then please mail or PM me the details and I will get this up and running.

EMail is nomorepanic@btinternet.com

samjane
14-10-07, 16:12
i live in hampshire, and would be more than happy for prople to have my number. Anything to help.

Sam X

Frankie23
16-10-07, 22:03
So far so good with my experience ive exchanged several emails, texts ive even phoned my text buddy on Sunday going to give him another call tomorrow best thing ive honestly done its good to know there someone just a phone call away

Anyways feel free to use me as a contact i may not always be able to pick up my phone but i can nearly always text (even when im at work)

nomorepanic
16-10-07, 22:10
I have a few on the list now so keep them coming and I will sort out how this works!

den42
19-10-07, 13:55
im glad this is taking off it could help so many people
take care
denise :yesyes:

den42
15-02-08, 21:52
hi nic
hows it going with the buddy help lines, has anything been set up at all

denise

Richie
15-02-08, 22:06
I would really like to do this so i will e-mail you my name and telephone number ok
Richie xxx

Dawn2
04-03-08, 21:51
When I went on holiday last year on my own with my special needs son. I was worried how I was going to cope, so some members and I swaped mobile numbers they texted me daily. Thier help/support was brillant I couldnt have done a week in a caravan with out them.
I have and do give my mobile number out.I'll always be happy to do so.:yesyes:

Paddington
17-03-08, 11:46
well i found this post at last:yesyes: it seems ages since i mentioned it to Denise:scared15: but the reason i got to London and back[twice now]was because i had two text buddies off here..and i thought if it works fro me then why not others:yesyes: but then my pc blew up and i never did find the post that denise put up :wacko: So i will now add my name to the list:D It can make all the difference guys..so glad the idea seems to have taken wings:yahoo: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx