PDA

View Full Version : Blood when I cough in the morning

Steve_73
18-12-19, 11:54
Hi all

I've been a visitor a number of times to this site thankfully I've had my anxiety under control for a while but its at defcon1 now.

I had a really bad flu a couple of weeks ago, then that transformed into a cold where I had a cough
On sunday evening I coughed and there was a bit of blood
On Monday morning I coughed and there was some blood in the mucus
So this sent me into a tail spin
Got a GP appointment, he checked me out listened to my lungs, took oxygen and said all was fine
He sent me for a chest x-ray to placate me more than anything
Tuesday I coughed again and out came the blood with the white mucus (gross, sorry).
I was in a right state and called the GP who checked the results of the x-ray and it came back clear.

It only seems to happen last thing at night (though there was none last night) and first thing in the morning - first three of four coughs produced a bloody mucus still today.
I can cough like a champion the rest of the day with no blood brought up whatsoever.

I'm in a state, I feel like I'm getting pains all around my ribs now but I dont know if thats the anxiety
I've losing weight as I cant eat and that is obviously another trigger for the Big C.
Im over forty, I used to smoke a good bit but I have stopped for nearly 10 years

My wife is on the verge of leaving me, she thinks I'm being totally irrational, if the x-ray is clear I should just stop worrying, but she isnt the one who is bringing up blood.

Has anyone ever coughed up blood and it not been cancer?
I'm terrified

Thanks for reading

Steve

BlueIris
18-12-19, 11:58
You've almost certainly just got an irritated throat or chest - your wife has a point.

Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Edit: Yes, this happens to me at least half the time when I get a cough.

ankietyjoe
18-12-19, 11:59
It's common to cough a bit of blood if you've had a bad chest infection or chronic cough. It's happened to me a couple of time. It's down to a pinched blood vessel.

If your Doctor isn't concerned, then neither should you be.

Steve_73
18-12-19, 12:03
Thanks for the reply
I havent taken my anxiety medication, which I had been on for over a year, for a few months now.
I think I might have to go back on it.
I can barely function
All I can think is that blood = lung cancer
Its comforting, and I dont mean that to denigrate you, that you get blood when you cough

NancyW
18-12-19, 12:15
Steve, it sound like it's all related to your virus, it could actually be coming from your sinuses. Not long ago my niece's son was coughing a bit of blood, dr said the coughing can burst very small blood vessels in the throat and cause this. He's absolutely fine.

On another note, my coworker was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, she had very different symptoms then you describe.

Sadly, my father died of lung cancer, by the time he was coughing blood he was extremely ill and terminal. If you were at that point, your dr and the xray would have definitely diagnosed you.

Hope you feel better soon.
HA is the beast.

Steve_73
18-12-19, 12:49
Thanks NancyW, sorry to hear about your father and sad news about your co-worker