PDA

View Full Version : My visit to the GP

jude
24-01-05, 12:03
Hi
Just been to see my GP. She has diagnosed me with Anxiety Disorder.
I have been put on the waiting list for CBT. Can u believe it, it will take 18 months before I get seen. Thats one long waiting list. The GP said she will try refering me to a Community Psychiatric Nurse, but as its not a mental illness, she doesnt know whether she will 'take me on'.
What do you have to do to get help from the NHS. Apparently be terribly mad!
So people, I have only you to turn to. Thank god your all there for me.

Jude

mumof4
24-01-05, 12:15
I get refferd to a Psychiatric Nurse as well and that was over a year ago and im still waiting. They see me as not a pioritie as there are worse off than me.

I have how ever been to councelling which i dont go to no more but thinking of going back.

Mell1988
24-01-05, 12:20
HI Jude,

I had the same problem. Was on the waiting list for about 8 months then got a letter to say "You are still on our waiting list but let us know if you want to continue to wait for an appointment".

I ended up going to a private counsellor which costs £27.50 an hour so I could only afford 1 session per 5 - 6 weeks which isn't ideal but at least it's better than nothing.

Unfortunately my counsellor had to give up due to personal circumstances as she has to return to full time employment so I am now enquiring on another one whose rates are quoted as being between £30 - £45 per session ! Yikes!

The price we have to pay :-)

Take Care

mumof4
24-01-05, 12:25
The councller i got up here in scotland was a charity based and it cost me nothing.

I have stopped but now i wish i never.

camilla
24-01-05, 12:31
i havent had problems like finding help. i think its easier to get help as an adoeclent. but it doesnt mean you are giving the right help. i havent had therapy for about 10 months from the nhs expect 2 sessions. i wasnt getting help from the nhs so i had therapy privatly. which was £60 for a hour session which i felt so guilty for my parents paying it. the nhs put a stop to it they said that the care should come from the same place. that was back in oct04. will start therapy soon now though.
camilla

nomorepanic
24-01-05, 20:00
Jude

It is terrible that you have to wait that long.

I truly hope that we can help you on here as well.

They don't even help fund sites like this but I think they are a big help and should be more recognised as we are all supporting each other and yet still paying for the NHS.

Grrr - my moan over with - sorry.

I hope we can do what the CBT will do if you ever get it!

Nicola

carol
24-01-05, 22:55
hi jude If your GP is a group practise insist on seeing another doctor 2 get a second opinion explain how this illness is ruining your quality of life.Tell them that u are finding it difficult 2 cope with and would like some psychiatric help sooner rather than later.With any luck you will get a sympathetic gp who may be able to fast track this 4 u.When i was diagnosed my gp got my appointment in 2wks and i attend every 6wks SO DONT GIVE UP u owe it 2 yourself.If that avenue does not work this web site will as i find it very theraputic writing to people who understand just how it feels.Wish u luck take care. Kaz

kaz

vernon
25-01-05, 14:23
hi jude, I had to wait about 18 months before my first appontment for CBT filled in lots of forms then the appointment was cancelled as the lady i was to see was off sick. I had an appoinment eventualy that was last august and they said i needed CBT and was put on the list to start sometime this Spring early summer. In all this is well over 2 years. and by the time you are seen the worst part of the symtoms is gone lok, Take care Vernon

jude
26-01-05, 18:09
Iv been talking to one of the mums from school today who is training to be a cousellor. She said the waiting list for CBT in this area is very long. I just hope that by the time I get some help Im not a complete raving loony.
Thanks for replying and getting annoyed with me. Its very unfair that we have to work so hard to get some help, especially as, in our state of mind it feels easier to just let it get the better of you and give up!
Take care everyone
Jude

jill
26-01-05, 21:31
Hi Jude

I was diagnosed with PA and axiety disorder back in june 2004.
I know how hard it must be for you right now:(
I just want to say NEVER give up fighting this, there is light at
the end of the tunnel.
This site has been a godsend to me, since finding it back in August
I am now alot better, I have not had a PA for a while now and I have
had know sypmtoms of axiety for a week. My symptoms of axiety since
my last PA have only been slight and that was only because mum was ill.
She is ok now.
It is unfair that we have to work soooo hard to get help and I hope you
get the help very soon.
I have been very lucky because the only help I needed was this site[^]
it put me back on track.
NEVER EVER give up Jude you can beat this you can learn how to feel better. It just takes time.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Believe it is possible to solve your problem.
Tremendous things happen to the believer.
So believe the answer will come. IT WILL.

stimpy
26-01-05, 21:39
This does seem to be standard practice I'm afraid :(

I see no reason why a CPN would refuse to "take you on".
That is their job and anxiety disorder is a form of mental illness.

You can choose to have CBT and pay for it privately - however it can cost up to £30+ per session.

Have you tried contacting your local branch of "mind" 0845 766 0613 or
http://www.mind.org.uk They have keyworkers who visit you for CBT and in most cases it is free.

I have chatted to the powers that be, and they still assure me that STR workers are still being recruited through the UK, if the process is taking a little longer than antisipated.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'