PDA

View Full Version : Tummy Acid 24/7...please help me

traciec39
29-09-07, 22:00
I really hope someone here can help me.

ive suffered with tummy acid for many years on and off. However in the last few months its got much worse, the doc put me on opramezole and gavison and it helped a little. 4 weeks ago after drinking far to much booze i ended up vomitting blood and spent 2 days in hospital.

Im now taking 2 opramezoles and 2 ranitidine a day but i have a burning in my throat constantly, its making me really miserable. ive got an appointment with a gasatric doc on 16th oct, re doing a endoscopy.

Also i am coughing a lot and my throat is dry and sore, is this related?

im absolutley terrified and was just wondering if anyone has ever had this?

Thanks so very much for taking the time to read this xx

luv Tracie xx

judipat
30-09-07, 09:02
hi tracie
i too suffer with excessive acid and have heartburn most days - i drink gavascon by the bottle!!!. I also get a "lump in my throat" and the feeling something is stuck in my throat - i keep swallowing and swallowing, but this just makes my throat painful. These two symptoms together also make me cough and i am continually trying to clear my throat. i know it is anxiety, however, i still scares me to death. I am also having lots of other symptoms at the moment and feel pretty crap most days
I do find that my tummy acid is worse if i dont eat properly - but most days i dont feel like eating much - i try to eat little and often rather than have i big meal. Liquid or soft food, soups, yogurts, mashed potato etc are easier to digest and dont sit like a brick in my stomach !!
I know these symptoms are awful, but try not to worry, which only makes it worse. Even if it turns out to be an ulcer, this can be dealt with.
I also have a problem with my breathing and i wonder whether this contributes to my excess acid ?? When i panic i over breath and my stomach seems to fill with air making me want to burp etc.
Hope you feel better soon - please feel free to email me if you need someone to talk to

Judi xx

bearcrazy
30-09-07, 09:15
Hi Tracie,

I also have had problems with acid reflux and have been put on 2 omneprazole a day. I have also changed my diet, eating unprocessed and rarely spicy foods, and cut out alcahol completely. My reflux has now disappeared (touch wood). Anxiety causes excess stomach acid, but alcahol can cause stomach bleeding like you described especially if you are a heavy/binge drinker.
hope you soon start to feel better and everything goes well with the gastroscope.

TC xxxxx:hugs:

traciec39
30-09-07, 18:33
Thank you judi n bear for your replies.

Another day and ive had acid from the moment i awoke all through the day, it stops when i eat for a few mins then starts again.

I have a tickle on the right side of my throat that makes me have a coughing fit im sure the acid is casing that too.
This has been going on for 2 months now but the constant acid seems to be getting worse.

cant wait for my gastro appointment.

if anyone has any advise i would be really grateful

luv tracie xx

pgw84
01-10-07, 18:53
Hi Tracie!

I've had a problem for ages now with, not burping as such, but sort a rumbling noise coming from my throat and chest. This was normally made worse by anxiety, when I'm sat with others and it's quiet, off it goes and it's a pain. Just this last week, I started coughing, and had a tickly dry throat, also the 'burping' was much worse and I keep feeling like I was going to be sick without feeling sick, other times just feeling sick.

I think it's caused by stomach acid, I bought some antacids earlier to see if they help, as I don't want to go to the doctors Again. It is annoying, because you think you get over one thing and then something else joins the list.

Hope you feel better soon and let us know how you get on!

delta
03-10-07, 08:47
Hi Tracie
I have a problem with excess acid, it's a nightmare at the moment as I'm having problem most days, I get an attack out of the blue of bloating and burping, it's horrible and I dread it happening, I've found it's linked to when I get nervous or stressed, which seems to be most of the time, also I have chronic hyperventilaton syndrome which I'm told is caused by excess acid being produced when I'm asleep then when I get up I don't feel refreshed etc. I really need to go back to the doctors, but I have a fear of going and medication so I put off going for as long as possible. I use a lot of gaviscon. Good luck with your appointment, let us know how you get on. :)

traciec39
04-10-07, 00:22
Thanks delta and thanks to you all for answering my post. xx

went back to the docs yesterday and she changed my tabs to lansoprazole twice a day, felt slightly better today but the burning is in my tummy and throat constantly.

i have to wait another 2 weeks to see the gastroentroligist so my hubby said about paying privately even though we cant afford it, the consultation is £300 and the endoscopy £1200.

I just dont think i can wait another 2 weeks with this burning and im really starting to worry about it being stomach/pancreas cancer.The doc said that she has given me all the tablets that she can, but shes sure its nothing sinister as i would have lost weight and seem and look really ill.

hope you are all doing ok

lu tracie xx

spacebunnyx
04-10-07, 10:48
oh my goodness! its so reassuring to see this post! :D I too have really bad acid - i get discomfort in my chest and then belch/vomit- its horrible! i'm convinced its related to anxiety - it started when i was particularly anxious.
like you mine seems to stop when i eat for a while (so i'm eating more!:blush: ) it is also worse in the evening - and not so bad first thing in the morning.

i'm having a fluoroscopy-something next thursday as they think i'm doing something funny when i swallow (anxiety related?) but i've had a barium meal and that was fine.

i don't cough at all, but my throat gets a bit sore and my voice goes all funny sometimes which makes it hard to speak...

jess xxx

MistyBlue
04-10-07, 12:17
I'm sure everything will be fine. I had this a while back and had barium swallow, (couldn't stand the camera), and it showed I had acid reflux, which is quite common, especially amongst anxiety sufferers and the overweight. I was getting the same symptoms as you. The doc explained that with it you can get sore throats, even lose your voice, as the acid constantly refluxes back to your throat and irritates the lining.

I know it's scarey, but hang in there. :)

I wish you well with your examinations.

Big hugs.:hugs:

Lisa -x-

hopeathand
22-10-08, 16:34
Dear Tracey and Judi

I too have these gastric symptoms which are caused by gastrointestinal reflux (this means, repition of food and acid from stomach to throat). The best course of action is to find a good nutritionist (NOT a dietician) and get them to help you regain the correct pH balance in the stomach.

It is not life threatening but can be very distressing. The throat problems arise from the closing of vocal cords. A good breathing exercise is to empty your lungs by whispering the letter f (feh feh feh) a few times then stick out your stomch and your body will simply breathe. It helps to open the voicebox again.

It is very curable with good diet! Relax!!:D

jannnne
22-10-08, 16:47
Oooh thank god I am so glad you posted because your symptoms are the same as mine and I thought I was going potty, convinced it was the big C but feel much better now, the burning is awful and constant driving me mad. Hope you feel better soon x

Andyroo
23-10-08, 05:55
i have had acid reflux for ages since i was a child!!:scared15: only thing that seems to help me is Zoton ive been on it for years.. my life would be even more miserable without it :roflmao: Acid reflux can come up and burn your throat and make it sore its done that to me for years.. all tho that never really bothered me.. if was the chest pains that really bothered me :scared15:

Bebe
23-10-08, 12:51
I to have suffered digestive problems, the latest has lasted for over a month now, with a constant feeling of hunger, even when I have eaten. I do not suffer when asleep (I mean it does not keep me awake) this is my usual clue that it is anxiety that causes the problem, because when I wake it's not there but is as soon as I think about it.
I now that every hour by itself, and congratulate myself if I have not had the symptoms during the last hour. I suppose keeping my mind occupied like this stops me worrying. But just how to Relax, I would love to know.
Thanks for reading this. Bebe