PDA

View Full Version : Food stuck in oesphagus??

Windywel
22-12-19, 05:57
Hi all I had a major panic attack on saturday morning when a piece of sausage got stuck in my oesphagus. It feels like it’s still there even tho my husband says it not as i can eat and drink ok but still very anxious about it. Is it possible that it could still be there even though I can eat and drink? Definately still feels like a lump in my throat. Really don’t want to have to deal with this right before Christmas :lac:

Scass
22-12-19, 06:10
I doubt it will be, it’s probably just a bit inflamed. If you can eat normally then the other food will have pushed it down.

Drink soothing warm drinks, maybe including some honey.

BlueIris
22-12-19, 06:22
There isn't a way for food to get stuck, you've just irritated your throat a little which is why it still feels like it.

As Scass says, warm drinks with honey are the way to go.

Windywel
22-12-19, 06:24
But I’ve read heaps about food getting stuck - it’s called steakhouse syndrome?! You have to have an endoscopy to get it removed

Scass
22-12-19, 06:32
And apart from the sensation do you have any of the other symptoms?

I just read on another thread that you can’t get out of bed. I’m so sorry for you, but you are allowing yourself the luxury of being bed bound when it won’t help you get better. Everyone is allowed a slump or a day or two to feel sorry for themselves. But now it’s time to get up and carry on. You’ll start to feel better when you’re taking back control and not wallowing.
Challenge your feelings, get up and keep busy.

AntsyVee
22-12-19, 06:55
Hen I had that sensation once, it lasted for a week and it was GERD.

pulisa
22-12-19, 08:39
And apart from the sensation do you have any of the other symptoms?

I just read on another thread that you can’t get out of bed. I’m so sorry for you, but you are allowing yourself the luxury of being bed bound when it won’t help you get better. Everyone is allowed a slump or a day or two to feel sorry for themselves. But now it’s time to get up and carry on. You’ll start to feel better when you’re taking back control and not wallowing.
Challenge your feelings, get up and keep busy.

Absolutely.

Mrsmitchell1984
22-12-19, 10:12
I had this before when a cracker scratched my throat and it felt like a bit of cracker was stuck. In the end it went away on its own but did leave me worried for much for the few days afterwards. I know it is scary but looking back it wasn’t harmful and wasn’t worth worrying about. Even in the worst case scenario, if you have something stuck at the moment - is it stopping you from doing anything?

Sending you hugs and let me know how you are getting on xxxx

NancyW
22-12-19, 17:30
But I&#8217I've read heaps

Well, there we have the source of your freakout.

*My coworker got apple stuck in her esophagus and yes food can get stuck. Her dr had her drink something carbonated and the fizz helped her get it down.

pulisa
22-12-19, 18:03
But I’ve read heaps about food getting stuck - it’s called steakhouse syndrome?! You have to have an endoscopy to get it removed

I've never heard of steakhouse syndrome!! My son has an anastomosis and food gets stuck at the operation site (he was born without an oesophagus and his stomach has been pulled up to join the back of his throat) It's a medical emergency not a sensation.

Please stop googling and adding to your unfounded fears.

hlvd
22-12-19, 20:06
I get food stuck in my oesophagus which is caused by having a hiatus hernia.

Persistent acid damage has caused scar tissue causing a narrowing of the passage.

If anything gets stuck I find cold water works best, a hot drink doesn't do anything.

Windywel
22-12-19, 20:13
Thanks hlvd - could it still be stuck if I can eat and drink? I can still feel a sensation at the back of my throat

Windywel
22-12-19, 20:23
Thanks all i realise that my fears may be unfounded and the sensation I now have may be psychosomatic nevertheless as is the way with health anxiety I still feel anxious. Can anyone give me some help/advice on how to deal with the anxiety and move on from this? Many thanks

NancyW
22-12-19, 20:46
Can anyone give me some help/advice on how to deal with the anxiety and move on from this? Many thanks

Do you have a elderly family member or friend that could use a friendly phone call or visit?

An animal shelter that you can volunteer at?

Food bank?

Adopt a family for Christmas?

hlvd
22-12-19, 21:25
Thanks hlvd - could it still be stuck if I can eat and drink? I can still feel a sensation at the back of my throat

I doubt it, it's probably just a bit of scarring maybe, it'll soon heal.

pulisa
23-12-19, 08:16
Do you have a elderly family member or friend that could use a friendly phone call or visit?

An animal shelter that you can volunteer at?

Food bank?

Adopt a family for Christmas?

Anything to distract you from yourself and how you are feeling..because ruminating, over analysing and worst of all googling will keep you stuck in a "poor me" mindset which is so unhelpful.