PDA

View Full Version : Triggers

Frankie23
29-09-07, 22:15
How can i work out what is triggering my panic attacks?

Ive wrote a few things in a diary but is there a better way to work out for sure what has been causing them? x

margaret911
29-09-07, 22:25
I am like you Frankie, I have no idea what my triggers are, they just seem to happen. I keep a diary too.

love Mags xxxxx

Frankie23
29-09-07, 22:30
Cool i think the diary thing is a good idea

Ive tried the whole cutting out caffeine etc and quitting smoking but im still having the odd ones

Just wish i could nip them in the bud x

Bill
30-09-07, 01:04
Hi there,
The mind is very powerful and sometimes we can experience a panic attack for no obvious reason but if you look deeper there'll be a reason. Firstly, try to remember what you were thinking jat the onset of the attack, then think about the situation you're in, where you are and what you are doing at the time.

In your subconcious you could be thinking of the day ahead or tomorrow. If you find it a struggle to get through a day without experiencing an attack, your mind maybe already thinking of the next attack you'll have and just that thought can create your next attack. For instance if a person goes into a shop and they find it crowded, the person could feel closed in with no escape so they experience an attack. The next time they want to go to the shop, before they step out from home their mind is already worrying about experiencing another attack in the shop so before they get out the door, they're already worrying. They walk into the shop but this time it's not crowded but they still experience an attack because their mind has made it happen based on their previous experience.

Sometimes it's a case of going through the panic rather than avoiding it so the mind is re-programmed to correct thinking.

Keeping a diary is a good idea because it will give you a plan to work on.

I used to panic in shops because it felt as if people were staring at me and they looked alien. I'd dash out of the shop and I felt a failure but by staying in the shop making myself relax I gradually stopped the cycle of fearing panic. Sometimes I still feel nervous but I know now how to tackle it.

I know I've wandered but only you will know exactly what triggers your attacks because it'll be your mind creating them. Hope that helps somehow! :shrug:

Abbasec
01-10-07, 21:22
hi Frankie

I am still new to this but I have found that my blood sugar fluctuations can bring on a panic attack. If I haven't eaten for a few hours and then suddenly have something with sugar or a strong coffee, etc., this can bring one on.

I don't know if this will help you but it's just something that I have found.

Abbasec

Bill
02-10-07, 00:07
One more thought - tiredness! I find if I'm tired I find it harder to concentrate and so feel more panicky. I think we need plenty of sleep!:shades:

Abbasec
02-10-07, 10:01
Does anyone experience aching around the jaw and this causing dizziness? and then becoming anxious about the dizziness causing a panic attack?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Abbasec

Insomniac
02-10-07, 22:06
Does anyone experience aching around the jaw and this causing dizziness? and then becoming anxious about the dizziness causing a panic attack?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Abbasec

I do sometimes suffer with an aching jaw, and with dizziness. But they are not connected directly. The stress causes tension in your muscles which makes them ache. Sometimes I don't even realise I am tense. And the dizziness is caused by the effect of adrenaline on your body. These increase as you become aware of them and can bring on more symptoms.

Its hard sometimes to "head off" an attack, but it can be done. I try to tell myself that its tension. Actively relax your shoulders (not always easy, and it feels strange at first), stretch your neck and rotate your jaw. Also practice some breathing exercises where your exhale is longer than your inhale e.g. inhale to count of 4, and exhale to count of 6 (I find this particularly useful and can be done anywhere without people noticing!)

Frankie: Writing in a diary is a brilliant idea! Its hard to remember what happened when. It might help to keep a note of late nights, long working days and eaten patterns too. I found that although when I'm stressed I eat more chocolate and stay up too late on the internet, this does not help! When I eat badly I'm more likely to have sugar highs and lows, which make me feel anxious, also if I am tired I get dizzy sometimes and wonder if its anxiety -which then makes me feel anxious.

Eating a good breakfast like muesli or oats, or something with protein keeps energy levels steady. Have a healthy lunch to refuel and a good dinner. Keeping a steady energy level with pasta and proteins is really helpful in staying balanced. When you feel better you are also more able to cope.

Hope this helps.

Abbasec
03-10-07, 08:59
Hi Lisa

Many thanks for that. I feel I am beginning to understand what is happening. My problems came on from when I went cold turkey from caffeine due to heart palpitations. The heart palpitations cleared up but I was left with this dizziness.

Thank you again for listening.

Abbasec